Author Topic: SDCFans Teachers  (Read 100836 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: SDCFans Teachers
« Reply #180 on: May 09, 2010, 12:29:54 AM »
PBS and RtI are swear words in my book.  Just the latest "phase/buzz words" in Missouri education.  Not a chance in hell it will work in our district as it would mean certain staff members would have to be accountable for discipline. Some staff members are so worried about being "popular" with the students they are afraid to even turn them in when they catch them doing something wrong because then the kid might not "like them" -- WTF cares!  I'm one of the meanest "by the books" teachers at our school and I'm still "popular" and I don't even care if I am or not.  LOL
SWOOSH

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 09, 2010, 08:11:41 AM »
Swoosh, they like ya 'cause at heart, the kids WANT discipline, don't they? Discipline and a sense of order in their life is why kids on the wild side join gangs, isn't it? Keep on being a by the books teacher. I don't have negative memories of any of the teachers I had in high school...they were all good to me in their own way. If someone has a negative memory of a teacher, it's probably because THE KID was the problem, right?
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 09, 2010, 09:40:30 AM »
Yep, they'll say they hate it, but deep down inside they love it because it makes them feel safe -- and most of the kids do not get that at home.
SWOOSH

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 12, 2010, 08:49:01 PM »
Ok I am not one to usually vocalize on stuff like this because it makes me look like a sore loser but they just recently announced the media award winners for MSTA this year and I cannot get over the site that won "Classroom Website of the Year"

It is extremely primitive, hard to navigate and honestly looks like it was made on Front Page.
http://www.hallsville.org/primary/cheet/

Seriously am I missing something here?
Oh and in case you don't know already here is my classroom's website
http://www.novingerbands.com

SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #184 on: May 12, 2010, 09:27:16 PM »
^I know what you mean.  This is just a couple of pages of links!  I didn't apply this year, figuring I got it last year, but if this is all they had, they should have reserved the right to not give the award at all.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 12, 2010, 09:46:04 PM »
I applied again this year, so you can see why I am a little ticked that this website beat mine out.
SWOOSH

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 13, 2010, 06:28:38 PM »
I'm guessing somebody wanted to spread the wealth.

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 13, 2010, 10:00:16 PM »
I like your website, Swoosh  :)

I just use Edublogs--pretty much no creativity on my part.

By the way, I like the senior pictures on the site.  It's a nice touch!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 13, 2010, 11:44:43 PM »
I'm guessing somebody wanted to spread the wealth.

Well if that is the case they need to say "past winners will not be considered for additional awards" -- and if that is the case, then that is just bull.  I am offended that a website like that was even considered as the "best". 

I mean I don't do the website to "win" but this year's winner just really irritates me - I guess I'm just a bad loser...

I like your website, Swoosh  :)

By the way, I like the senior pictures on the site.  It's a nice touch!

We started making senior composites last year with the class of 2009, and it has since became a tradition.  I like it too because those kids have put in a lot of hard work while they were in the program and deserve the recognition
SWOOSH

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 14, 2010, 04:17:02 PM »
I agree completely.  The same type of thing is happening as a result of our PBS trend.  "We want to reward as many students as possible," they tell me.  My response is, "Then we should just present every kid with a certificate as they walk in the door on the first day."  I'm just guessing - would bet on it if I was a betting man - that's what happened.

What kind of reward is it when just anyone and his dog can receive it?  How much is something worth when it is so easy to win?  You and I work hard on our sites and keep them updated (mine on almost a daily basis); for this thing to have won over yours is a joke.  What I can't figure out is who even applied for the award with that site, thinking it could compete in the first place?  Really?

BTW, I have your site bookmarked and check on it every day - - - well, not everyday, but probably once a month.

StaceySue, I use Edublogs, too.  Have you shared yours on here?

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 15, 2010, 12:04:21 AM »
I agree completely.  The same type of thing is happening as a result of our PBS trend.  "We want to reward as many students as possible," they tell me.  My response is, "Then we should just present every kid with a certificate as they walk in the door on the first day."  I'm just guessing - would bet on it if I was a betting man - that's what happened.

What kind of reward is it when just anyone and his dog can receive it?  How much is something worth when it is so easy to win?

Remember when Dash, in "The Incredibles", was grumping about not being allowed to do his best?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0317705/quotes

Helen: Dash… this is the third time this year you’ve been sent to the office. We need to find a better outlet. A more… constructive outlet.
Dash: Maybe I could, if you’d let me go out for sports.
Helen: Honey, you know why we can’t do that.
Dash: But I promise I’ll slow up. I’ll only be the best by a tiny bit.
Dash: Dashiell Robert Parr, you are an incredibly competitive boy, and a bit of a show-off. The last thing you need is temptation.
Dash: You always say ‘Do your best’, but you don’t really mean it. Why can’t I do the best that I can do?
Helen: Right now, honey, the world just wants us to fit in, and to fit in, we gotta be like everyone else.
Dash: But Dad always said our powers were nothing to be ashamed of, our powers made us special.
Helen: Everyone’s special, Dash.
Dash: [muttering] Which is another way of saying no one is.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 15, 2010, 11:19:31 AM »
Yup.

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 17, 2010, 08:37:59 PM »

StaceySue, I use Edublogs, too.  Have you shared yours on here?

No, I'm not really proud of it.   :)

It serves its purpose, I suppose.  One thing I have done with it for the past two years is set up online discussions for the students.  I upgraded my account and set up the passwords myself.  I mostly used it as a way for students to comment on articles in Upfront Magazine.  I haven't done a discussion lately.  I do them in class because many of my students say they don't have Internet access at home.  We had a research paper and the EOC this quarter, and we just finished the Julius Caesar unit.  I didn't have time for much else.

Lately, I've just used it for schedules and assignments.  I'm not entirely sure that anyone (students, parents) ever looks at my page...

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 17, 2010, 08:42:54 PM »
You might try Wallwisher for discussions.  My fourth graders love it as an informal place to put their comments.  It's easy to set up.

http://www.wallwisher.com/

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 18, 2010, 07:17:54 AM »
You might try Wallwisher for discussions.  My fourth graders love it as an informal place to put their comments.  It's easy to set up.

http://www.wallwisher.com/

I'll check it out.  It looks interesting.  I may ask you questions after I take a look.