Author Topic: Train Crash?  (Read 25321 times)

KevinLong

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Re: Train Crash?
« Reply #120 on: April 04, 2023, 02:35:53 AM »
One thing to consider is that in any accident the usual cause is almost always multiple things that coincide to create the conditions for the accident to occur.

Human error, loose bolts, one or two mph too fast. rail spread due to heat, sleepers loose, soggy rail bed, uneven loading, one bad bearing, the list can be virtually endless. All the same things may have happened countless times before, one at a time or in a different order and nothing happens, then they align and poof accident.

I think that is why the longer list of things to check. They probably cannot pinpoint one thing as the cause. and those corrections may help to reduce the recurrence.

While the park is responsible, I do not think it was gross negligence per se, just an unfortunate series of events.

my two cents.
Kevin 

pintrader

« Reply #121 on: April 04, 2023, 09:52:01 AM »
I think a person would have to come to the conclusion that the inspections and recommendations were satisfactory. It was not just The Office of the State Fire Marshal that was involved.  MoDOT and Wolf Railway Consulting were also involved it appears.  Wolf Railway Consulting is out of Atlanta and one of their areas of expertise is train derailment.  They have done something like 4,000 derailments across the globe and these derailments include heavy haul, passenger, light rail, narrow gauge, and even a couple underground coal mines.  I am sure Herschend Family Entertainment would want it to be went over with a fine-tooth comb because another similar accident in a short time could be a lot more serious in a lot of ways.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 04, 2023, 07:44:59 PM »
If SDC wanted to add an in-theme period skit, there are quite a few folks around who still know how to roll a spike maul (the technique for driving spikes).

I use my old "snipe" skills for splitting wood, but it's the same technique.

Lampie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 18, 2023, 07:36:43 AM »
Kolr story on SDC limiting their cooperation initially with the state.

https://www.ozarksfirst.com/news/kolr-10-investigates/silver-dollar-city-objected-to-giving-investigators-train-crash-info/

There is supposed to be another report this evening focused on why the state’s annual inspection didn’t flag any issues.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 20, 2023, 09:09:33 PM »
I find it very shady that SDC is refusing to cooperate and provide the information. 

KevinLong

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 20, 2023, 11:11:59 PM »
its easy to speculate and create our own scenarios for what happened and why any info was delayed or "held Back".

it could be possible that it took a while to get all relevant data collected and put into a format that could be submitted. The fact is we don't know. Not everything is a conspiracy to hide things or put one over.

The five items they are requesting info on are pretty extensive, it is possible it could take a few month for SDC's investigators to create a report for the department of public safety. None of us were at that meeting and heard the objections as to why the info was not provided.

Evidently, they got what they wanted from SDC the train is now running again.

my two cents.
Kevin

pintrader

« Reply #126 on: May 21, 2023, 08:20:41 AM »
I find it very shady that SDC is refusing to cooperate and provide the information.

I agree and would have thought SDC would have wanted all the information to come out to show they were open and wanting to get to the bottom of the problem.  With a list of that many factors on the possible cause of derailment it sure looks like they are trying to sweep as much under the rug as possible and behind the scenes there were legal negotiations to keep the information private for whatever reason.  Doesn't look like it was just a matter of time to create a report since SDC objected to giving the information. 

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #127 on: May 22, 2023, 08:07:33 AM »
There's a lot of vagueness here, and media loves to exploit vagueness so people can project whatever they are subtly led to project on the situation. It's probably as simple as SDC wanting to have enough time to assess the situation, discuss with their lawyers, see how all the lawsuits are shaping up, etc. It's usually not advisable to run to the lawyers on the other side and dump all your info to be used against you. It might look "bad" to be "withholding" info, and that's the leverage they'll use against you, but it's always better to come prepared.

It's notable that the main guy in the article is someone who wasn't in a car that tipped, but found out that he injured his wrist the day after, "catching" people from the car. Smells like a cash grab... By the time he ends up in court he'll have a neck guard on too.  ::)

MCLFLN

• Jr. Citizen
  • Going since 1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 25, 2023, 05:06:53 PM »
Just saw this and it was taken down already.... no idea of validity as I couldn't check the comments.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #129 on: May 25, 2023, 05:15:30 PM »
Yup, I have seen several posts about it, but they are being clamped down on. Seems to be a small derailment. Considering things... It's a real bad look. Really makes you wonder what is going on. 60 years of smooth operations, and now they can't keep it on the tracks.

legoerosion

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 25, 2023, 05:19:53 PM »
It decoupled and stopped at the bottom of the hill, I wouldn’t call that a “derailment”.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 25, 2023, 06:22:06 PM »
Who clamped down on what?   If somebody was there and witnessed it and decides to post about it, I am not sure how anybody could clamp down on it?  If it is SDC somehow getting these removed, that further indicates a very shady situation involving the train and lowers confidence in them as a whole.

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 25, 2023, 06:28:08 PM »
They removed a post in their Facebook group. There was rampant speculation on the post and was just spreading rumors.

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 25, 2023, 07:26:04 PM »
“ The incident happened around 4 p.m. Officials say the front wheels of car three on the train went off the track by about two inches. It caused cars two and three to separate. Park officials say new safety protocols worked as designed, stopping the train. It also kept all of the remaining cars upright.”

https://www.ky3.com/2023/05/25/silver-dollar-city-shuts-down-popular-steam-train-ride-following-incident-thursday/

legoerosion

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 25, 2023, 07:43:53 PM »
“ The incident happened around 4 p.m. Officials say the front wheels of car three on the train went off the track by about two inches. It caused cars two and three to separate. Park officials say new safety protocols worked as designed, stopping the train. It also kept all of the remaining cars upright.”

https://www.ky3.com/2023/05/25/silver-dollar-city-shuts-down-popular-steam-train-ride-following-incident-thursday/

So track warp happened due to the extreme heat from the past few days, caused a truck to fall and everything worked upright? Why is this newsworthy?