Author Topic: SDC's 2023 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 124266 times)

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2023 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #105 on: January 10, 2022, 12:33:37 PM »
You’re thinking of it as a dead end.  It’ll be a new loop.  Better guest flow
Another corkscrew?  Or a pedestrian tunnel?  Wouldn't seem like they would want to man another crossing.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 10, 2022, 02:16:29 PM »
Another corkscrew?  Or a pedestrian tunnel?  Wouldn't seem like they would want to man another crossing.

I would expect to see a simple wide overhead bridge kicking out NE behind Opera House over the tracks tied to the sidewalk between the silos and Outlaw Run.  There is already a maintenece road there, so they will have to deal with that small detail.

jericho

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 10, 2022, 03:06:37 PM »
If you ask me how I'd design the path, follow the red line.  It makes loop around the back end that would greatly help with crowd flow.  But they'd have to move some maintenance buildings which is probably too much to ask for.  So, I'm guessing the most likely option for the "new loop" is the blue path, unfortunately, which I don't really see helping flow that much. 

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #108 on: January 10, 2022, 04:44:38 PM »
^You have to consider there will actually be two crossover sites, not just the one. The first one will be located as mentioned above connecting the old FITH area with OR and Wilsons Farm and another will be over behind Firemans Landing where the FITH replacement will be built. I highly doubt they would reroute the railroad tracks. I would expect a walkway bridge over them building a tunnel unless they are willing to spend the extra $$$ on infrastructure and earth work to accommodate one.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 04:49:42 PM by sdcfan88 »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #109 on: January 10, 2022, 08:07:52 PM »

Think of what they do at Dollywood.  The crossing would be right next to the station so that the attendants there could do both

^You have to consider there will actually be two crossover sites, not just the one. The first one will be located as mentioned above connecting the old FITH area with OR and Wilsons Farm and another will be over behind Firemans Landing where the FITH replacement will be built. I highly doubt they would reroute the railroad tracks. I would expect a walkway bridge over them building a tunnel unless they are willing to spend the extra $$$ on infrastructure and earth work to accommodate one.

The entrance to the new FITH will be go under the track.  The track is already above grade at that location
SWOOSH

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 18, 2022, 11:20:00 AM »
I do not like the idea of moving the train station there.

Between the Saloon show, opry house, many of the most popular rides already being around the area....how in the world can ya add the masses of people who come on and off that train?  Plus adding OR shortcut? The stations current location is basically dead without the station around.  That corner by the saloon is already Times Square of SDC....lol

Anyone know if they would 'close' the current loop? or would it stay open?  It would be kinda tough on everyone if that had to go up by OR to complete the loop. 

"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2022, 11:54:42 AM »
Opening the pathway as Swoosh mentioned will help with flow. Plus, simply having a station capable of holding a trainful of guests will be a big improvement and keep people siloed.

I think the area around the current station plus Flooded Mine is inevitably scheduled for yet another "area refresh" that will see mass bulldozing and starting over with some new quirky attraction that will be designed to grab people's attention. I posted more about my thoughts on that in the long term discussion thread.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 12:12:36 PM by shavethewhales »

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2022, 07:18:12 PM »
So just a timeline thought....

Currently construction is ongoing for the new FITH...with anticipation of opening in 2023.

So when will the deconstruction of the old FITH and construction of the new area, loop, and train station take place? Would that wait until after next season 2022 and continue construction through the 2023 season? Then open that area in 2024? Or would SDC close the old FITH mid season in 2022 to have everything done for 2023?

Jay

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #113 on: January 18, 2022, 10:48:39 PM »
Current speculation is the demo will likely take place in either the 2022 off season or sometime in 2023, but no later than the 2023 off season.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #114 on: January 19, 2022, 11:28:27 AM »
Yeah, we all need to get our rides in on FITH before August. Typical pattern is that they make the announcement in August and close for demolition shortly after. They didn't give much time after they announced Geyser Gulch was closing for people to enjoy it one last time. No reason to believe they'll make a big show of FITH's goodbye either since they'll want people to focus on what is coming instead of what is going away.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 19, 2022, 12:41:00 PM »
Announcing FiTH removal better come with a lot of focus on a new ride and big explanation on why it can't be saved.  Going to be a PR challenge.  Not sure if there is another ride in the park that will be more missed by the general public SDC regulars.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 19, 2022, 01:01:47 PM »
Clarification Questions?

Are they planning a loop from fireman's landing around the lake to Wilsons farm?  Not sure where the building is there planning.  if they loop over the train maintenance buildings that would open up so new land.....and possible backgate like place for resort/hotel off 76. 

Plus a loop from Wilsons Farm to Opry House? 

Is the new Building behind the Landings Restooms/Flyer....across the tracks I assume in the current 'backlot'....or is is behind the exposition hall....behind firefall?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #117 on: January 19, 2022, 07:31:49 PM »
Clarification Questions?

Are they planning a loop from fireman's landing around the lake to Wilsons farm?  Not sure where the building is there planning.  if they loop over the train maintenance buildings that would open up so new land.....and possible backgate like place for resort/hotel off 76. 

Plus a loop from Wilsons Farm to Opry House? 

Is the new Building behind the Landings Restooms/Flyer....across the tracks I assume in the current 'backlot'....or is is behind the exposition hall....behind firefall?

Only new loop would be Western area to Opry House.  The only loop that FL will see is around Lake Silver when that pathway is open. 

FITH 2.0 is in Shad’s parking lot which is directly across the tracks from the kiddie drop tower and parallel to the Firehouse Playhouse. 
SWOOSH

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 20, 2022, 08:44:05 AM »
Announcing FiTH removal better come with a lot of focus on a new ride and big explanation on why it can't be saved.  Going to be a PR challenge.  Not sure if there is another ride in the park that will be more missed by the general public SDC regulars.

You are assuming that the PTB care what we think.  They obviously do not.  We are not their target audience.  The general public and SDC regulars are two different groups, and the former is by far the larger and therefore the one of interest to them.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #119 on: January 20, 2022, 12:11:59 PM »
Yeah, they will want to move past the disappointment in FITH closing ASAP. There won't be any discussion on why FITH can't be saved and they certainly don't want to dive into all that pubicly. Imagine trying to communicate to your average FB audience why a building has had numerous issues for decades and yet has been allowed to continue to operate as a ride. They'd probably be open to a lawsuit if people realized how much mold is in the building, lol. Not to mention the basic aspect of not wanting to bum people out by talking about all the historic elements and memories that will be lost.

All focus will be on marketing the new ride, and therefore tickets/passes to the park. That's the business after all.

I just want them to save the mural and bring back some of the iconic scenes. If there isn't a Red Flanders scene in the new version we'll know they don't care anymore. Somehow I have a feeling he will make the jump though.