Author Topic: 2021 Crowds/Trip Reports  (Read 76273 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: 2021 Crowds/Trip Reports
« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2021, 10:42:58 AM »
Photos from the ABBA Tribute Concert on Saturday night

https://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2021/06/city-update-sdc_5.html
SWOOSH

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 08, 2021, 10:14:07 AM »
We were there Friday as well to see the Beatles show. It was really good, but it was shorter than the afternoon show.  People in line with us were told it was only going to be a 45 min. show vs. the hr. and 15 min. show from the earlier one; not sure why.  I hope this doesn't become standard. Theatre was maybe half full. Concessions weren't open; not sure if that is temporary or not. Crowds were not bad at all.  One thing we noticed was that many places weren't honoring the season pass discounts.  Water was not $4.00/for two as advertised.  We asked at 3 different vendors and they wouldn't honor it. I was surprised at how many buildings were closed, including Percy's. Is this an employee issue? I think I did see the Rainmaker wagon on Main Street!  That's good news!  There was a couple in line for the concert that was very unhappy.  They came in at 5:00 thinking the park was open until 10.  They were sold tickets and 2 acv's, and weren't told the park was open for only 2 more hrs.  Expensive trip! It is their fault, but there isn't anything near tickets that says the hours, and it would've been nice if someone mentioned it.   

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 08, 2021, 01:14:12 PM »
^ I also noticed no refreshment stands open in Echo Hollow.  I'm not sure they will ever have their regular evening show there again with so many of their entertainers being "dismissed".  And to be honest we haven't seen the regular evening Echo Hollow show in years.  They may have decided it was not drawing guests that only chose Silver Dollar City because of an evening show and therefore not cost worthy.  We may only see non-Silver Dollar City acts at the evening shows now.
I'm Your Huckleberry

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 08, 2021, 04:30:44 PM »
The concession stand closest to a Time Traveler is open

It doesn’t sound like Hits From the Hollow will return, but if you’re really missing it, Down By the Riverside has some of the former cast
SWOOSH

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 08, 2021, 05:05:09 PM »

Is it open during most of the evening Echo Hollow shows?  We bought frozen lemonade and kettle corn ahead of time to watch the Beatles show just in case  :D

I'm Your Huckleberry

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 08, 2021, 10:59:45 PM »

Is it open during most of the evening Echo Hollow shows?  We bought frozen lemonade and kettle corn ahead of time to watch the Beatles show just in case  :D

It was open both shows on Saturday
SWOOSH

pintrader

« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2021, 07:35:25 AM »
  We bought frozen lemonade and kettle corn ahead of time to watch the Beatles show just in case  :D

That seems like an odd combo frozen lemonade and kettle corn.  I knew there was something wrong with you Duelist  ;)

Actually there are a lot of people that like that sweet & sour taste.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2021, 08:52:11 AM »
^LOL!  We were jazzed up on sugar which is a better thing than a lot of people are jazzed up on when they go to concerts  ;D  I laughed out loud when the Paul McCartney portrayer was walking over to the piano to play "Let It Be" and the John Lennon guy said "Now we're going to do a song from the 1970s.  Or should that be the 1870s?"
I'm Your Huckleberry

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2021, 09:11:01 PM »
^LOL!  We were jazzed up on sugar which is a better thing than a lot of people are jazzed up on when they go to concerts  ;D  I laughed out loud when the Paul McCartney portrayer was walking over to the piano to play "Let It Be" and the John Lennon guy said "Now we're going to do a song from the 1970s.  Or should that be the 1870s?"

My daughter's side gig this summer is working with the performers backstage at the AMP this summer. I'm waiting to here the stories on what some of the acts themselves are jazzed up on.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 09, 2021, 10:15:49 PM »

My daughter's side gig this summer is working with the performers backstage at the AMP this summer. I'm waiting to here the stories on what some of the acts themselves are jazzed up on.

Probably not sugar.
I'm Your Huckleberry

Irrumater

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 11, 2021, 01:19:42 PM »
We made a trip down yesterday for Season Pass holder Ride time. Got there about open and it was nice to get a couple times through on TT and Mystic before the crowds hit. We walked on Mystic back to back up until 930. I was surprised to see how much stuff was still closed in the height of summer, and on a day with several long waits( but those may have been increased due to several rides being down off and on.
It seemed none of the snack stands were open throughout the day, just the main restaurants. And of course The Mine, Percys and a few other indoor locations were still closed.
I am guessing it is less of a capacity thing now and more of a lack of employees.
Anyway good trip, as usual. This was our 5-6 time this year. If yesterday was any indication look for a BUSY summer in the City

cheesehead57

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 11, 2021, 06:54:23 PM »
They are having a hard time getting enough workers to fill the jobs.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 13, 2021, 11:41:44 AM »
They are having a hard time getting enough workers to fill the jobs.

Since the missouri governor announced they would no longer be receiving the "extra" money for unemployment and so on, as of June 12th..   

Hopefully people will get out and look for work..

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 13, 2021, 12:44:59 PM »
Arkansas declined the money several months ago.  Shortsightedly? the payments ended this month.  It was my understanding the " free money" for kids is starting next month.   Without the expanded unemployment we are still having employment problems in my area. We tried to call in a  to-go order for Chilis yesterday after noon and they were closed due to lack or participation on the employees part.  It seems the free money robs the desire to work.  Hopefully SDC will get past this although I thought they had this problem three years ago.  Lots of closed stands and unfilled roles.  In days of yesteryear the park would be heavily staffed by senior citizens but this seems to have changed.  Maybe when it went from family to Corporate?

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 13, 2021, 01:31:38 PM »
Robs the desire to work? really? If you could make more money working less hours would you not take it? I am not justifying the "free" money as you put it, but be realistic. If I could make the equivalent of $8 and hour more per hour for not working than I'd make working, I'd take it and you would too. It is a financial decision that they are making and I'd do the same. If they shunned the subsidy and go back to work at minimum wage, that would be stupid financially...

We who make decent money and were "essential" and worked through it all did get "screwed" by the subsidy program and all, but people making less than $15 an hour are better off on unemployment and the subsidy than they are working. And you can't fault them for doing what is best for their financial state...

Missouri unemployment is some of the worst in the country where anyone who makes over $15k is near destroyed financially on unemployment with the max payout of $320 a week... My company 2 years ago closed a division and I went from making over $100k a year to making essentially $1200 a month.

I think ultimately that you are correct in that most of the employees used to be older and retired. Perhaps they are concerned for their health and that is why they are not working and HFE are hurting for labour. Or perhaps they cost HFE too much money since they've been there so long and they are looking for those minimum wage employees... Hard to fault people for doing what is best for their family from a monetary standpoint though...