Author Topic: 2021 Crowds/Trip Reports  (Read 76164 times)

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
Re: 2021 Crowds/Trip Reports
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2021, 03:17:31 AM »
Be aware that while SDC and many US places are probably not going to require proof of vaccination, many places around the world are if you plan to travel. THE NHS app here in the UK is going to be used as a vaccine passport. And to go to concerts and sporting events and all you will have to show at the least a recent (72 hours) negative covid test or your vaccine passport to be allowed in. There have been talks here of needing that to be allowed into pubs but so far that has not come into play although you still have to give contact details when you go... at least for another month.

And Europe is following suit with the same requirements. If you don't show proof of full vaccination, you will be required to quarantine when you arrive.

I know that most people in the US do not travel internationally - especially those who are antivax - but just be aware of what is going on in the rest of the world should you want to travel internationally

I was actually going to try to come visit my Dad in Detroit and then drive to Springfield, MO to see my friends as the flights were pretty cheap, but that is not going to happen due to having to test before (even though I have had one of the shots) and quarantine and test when I'd return for at a minimum of 5 days with 2 tests required. The testing costs have to be paid out of pocket for travel. The testing costs would be more than the flight costs... so just don't plan to go back to the US any time soon

We were there Friday the 14th with capacity limits still in place.   It was pretty tough getting in to see any shows.  You needed to be in line at the Opera House an hour before each show if you expected to get in.

I was wondering how they were going to distinguish vaccinated from non.  I guess that is the answer, they won't  ;)

Only an hour?  Heck, We've waited in line longer than that at OTC!   ;D

I hope they do not try to distinguish between Vacc'd and Unvacc'd folks.  The risk is on them, not me, and I would be very disheartened to hear [German Accent]Papers, Please.[/German Accent] when attempting to get into a show or restaurant.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 03:20:23 AM by Jemmicat »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2021, 06:07:24 AM »
So the important stuff doesn’t get buried...,

Here is our food reviews from Bluegrass & BBQ

https://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2021/05/bluegrass-bbq-food-sdc.html
SWOOSH

Fergy328

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 20, 2021, 11:28:07 AM »
Thoughts on how crowds will be on Sunday the 30th? It is the day before Memorial Day.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2021, 03:17:30 PM »
Thoughts on how crowds will be on Sunday the 30th? It is the day before Memorial Day.

IF the weather clears up, it will be busy. always is.  Sat will be worse, But there will be some serious traffic.  enjoy!

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2021, 08:49:34 PM »
So the important stuff doesn’t get buried...,

Here is our food reviews from Bluegrass & BBQ

https://www.midwestinfoguide.com/2021/05/bluegrass-bbq-food-sdc.html

We tried the Liberty Gooey Butter Cake from the Riverfront Smokehouse on Swoosh's recommendation and totally agree- it was delicious!  Thanks Swoosh
I'm Your Huckleberry

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2021, 05:33:58 PM »
FYI -- most of the concession stands now have a sign that says credit or debit card at this location. Noticed this during our visit on 5/20. Your cash is no longer wanted.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2021, 09:30:29 AM »
I was there Friday and Saturday, and while it rained the whole time on Friday it was a light rain with lower (but not super low) crowds. Still had to wait over 30mins to ride Time Traveler since most of the second floor was full, but most other rides had short waits.

Saturday was pretty packed! Thank goodness that normal operations are back or it would have been unbearable. As it was, we got to do everything we set out to do and it was a very enjoyable time!

I hope the festivals come roaring back next year. You could hardly tell there was a "bluegrass and BBQ" festival going on. I did watch one performer on the Tom and Huck stage who was very good. Without the house of BBQ or some smoking stands there wasn't much noticeable on the BBQ side. The tasting passport sounded like a good idea though.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2021, 09:45:43 AM »
^ I take it you saw Hillary Klug the dancing fiddler on the Tom and Huck Stage?  We saw her and thought she was very good.  I ended up buying a CD from her.  I also miss the House of BBQ though we did eat the Kettle Chips Brisket special and really liked it.
I'm Your Huckleberry

applegbt

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2021, 10:17:50 PM »
I apologize of this has been asked and answered a million times already.  I did a quick search and scan but didn't see any info.  What is the latest on Marvel Cave?  I haven't seen any announcements regarding reopening or even plans to reopen.  Have I missed something?

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 01, 2021, 08:43:29 AM »
^ according to the sdc website the cave is still closed:
https://www.silverdollarcity.com/theme-park/Attractions/Rides/Marvel-Cave
I'm Your Huckleberry

theymitbgi

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2021, 12:51:36 PM »
I apologize of this has been asked and answered a million times already.  I did a quick search and scan but didn't see any info.  What is the latest on Marvel Cave?  I haven't seen any announcements regarding reopening or even plans to reopen.  Have I missed something?

We were told on Thursday they were hoping to have it open in the next couple weeks.

legoerosion

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2021, 05:27:51 PM »
The cave is open, they opened it this memorial day weekend. I believe they are only half tours though and not all week.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2021, 08:04:36 AM »
I imagine the water levels are the biggest issues right now. Can't get down to the waterfall at this point with all the rain they've had. That would be a great workout going up the stairs though!

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 06, 2021, 01:50:51 PM »
We were at City on Friday June 4th all day and Saturday June 5th until about 2:30.  Friday was more crowded than I thought it would be but not too bad.  We rode MRF early and only had to wait about 30 minutes.  It did get to a 2 hour wait later on.  We rode the train and I saw my first ever snake at SDC.  It was a black snake that must have been 5 - 6 feet long.  I saw it just after the train was passing the square roundhouse and it was slithering as fast as it could toward the grass and away from the City (the snake not the train).  Fire in the Hole had at least a 45 minute wait all day so that still remains wildly popular.  I also heard from reliable sources that the Rainmaker show will return during the Summer Fest!  That is great news for us purists that prefer our entertainment a little less Globetrottery  ;D.

Disclaimer:  I am one of the strongest proponents for the 1870s/1880s theme of the park- it is the reason we keep coming back again and again.  Having said that, our main reason for attending this past Friday was to watch the Classical Mystery Tour Beatles tribute concert at Echo Hollow.  We had seen them a couple of years ago here in Little Rock and were blown away with how good they were.  They look and sound like the Beatles.  The show was in Echo Hollow and to be honest you couldn't hear the music unless you were close to the Hollow so it wasn't like they were blasting rock/pop music all over the park.  And no, I do not want SDC to replace the piped Bluegrass/Rockin the Grass music they have been playing throughout the park with Beatles music.  I would love to see the regular ongoing Echo Hollow show with Bluegrass songs/Mountain music like the old Dillards show from the 80s.  I'll get off my soapbox now  :)

I'm Your Huckleberry

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2021, 02:23:06 PM »
We were at City on Friday June 4th all day and Saturday June 5th until about 2:30.  Friday was more crowded than I thought it would be but not too bad.  We rode MRF early and only had to wait about 30 minutes.  It did get to a 2 hour wait later on.  We rode the train and I saw my first ever snake at SDC.  It was a black snake that must have been 5 - 6 feet long.  I saw it just after the train was passing the square roundhouse and it was slithering as fast as it could toward the grass and away from the City (the snake not the train).  Fire in the Hole had at least a 45 minute wait all day so that still remains wildly popular.  I also heard from reliable sources that the Rainmaker show will return during the Summer Fest!  That is great news for us purists that prefer our entertainment a little less Globetrottery  ;D.

Disclaimer:  I am one of the strongest proponents for the 1870s/1880s theme of the park- it is the reason we keep coming back again and again.  Having said that, our main reason for attending this past Friday was to watch the Classical Mystery Tour Beatles tribute concert at Echo Hollow.  We had seen them a couple of years ago here in Little Rock and were blown away with how good they were.  They look and sound like the Beatles.  The show was in Echo Hollow and to be honest you couldn't hear the music unless you were close to the Hollow so it wasn't like they were blasting rock/pop music all over the park.  And no, I do not want SDC to replace the piped Bluegrass/Rockin the Grass music they have been playing throughout the park with Beatles music.  I would love to see the regular ongoing Echo Hollow show with Bluegrass songs/Mountain music like the old Dillards show from the 80s.  I'll get off my soapbox now  :)
Stay on your soapbox, dont be ashamed. 1880 ozark hillbilly old mining town theme is what built this theme park and made memories worth repeating. That includes the traditional shows and music. Sure,  not everything fit the theme of 1880s ozarks but everything was at least “historical” or old-time. Thats why we go to SDC and not six flags. God, country, history. Feels like you are someWHEN else, not just somewhere else.

I love the globetrotters. I went twice when they travelled to gyms nearby and bought basketballs, got autographs, etc. While I love them, they arent why I go to SDC.
Glad to hear the rainmaker is coming back. I’m too young to really remember it.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.