Author Topic: Going back to SDC  (Read 71761 times)

woodgrain

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Re: Going back to SDC
« Reply #225 on: July 24, 2020, 01:19:58 PM »
I am thinking about making a quick trip over this weekend, either going over tonight or tomorrow to check out MRF.  I am correct it my assumption they got rid of reservations for season pass holders, correct?

Correct. Not until Labor Day.

Masked offender

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: July 29, 2020, 12:06:01 AM »
Ok, I need the real scoop, with as little judgment as possible. Wearing a mask for an extended period of time is not an option for health reasons I will not go in to. Does anyone KNOW (not guess) if the park is kicking people out if they don't have their mask up the whole time?

Thanks for any answers anyone has!

Fergy328

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: July 29, 2020, 08:11:55 AM »
Ok, I need the real scoop, with as little judgment as possible. Wearing a mask for an extended period of time is not an option for health reasons I will not go in to. Does anyone KNOW (not guess) if the park is kicking people out if they don't have their mask up the whole time?

I was there on Saturday and saw a fair share of people not wearing masks in the queue lines. Ride ops did call out those people to wear the masks once they actually saw them without the masks. They didn't let them on the rides if they weren't on, and didn't start the ride until they were over the nose. The only time I really took my mask off was to eat and drink.

So, while it wasn't strictly enforced, you will get called out eventually if you don't have it on. Plus, you'll get weird looks from people all day which i would think would be uncomfortable.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 08:13:34 AM by Fergy328 »

woodgrain

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: July 29, 2020, 01:27:36 PM »
We have now been on a busier Saturday and a much less busy Sunday afternoon. We saw more people without masks on the Saturday than we did on the Sunday we were there. This could be due to a larger sample size, or it could be that it's just harder to enforce when there are bigger crowds. On the Sunday afternoon visit, we actually saw an employee ask a man on his way in to the Ozark Marketplace to wear his mask all the way to his vehicle. When he said he had lost his, he was provided one from a box.

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: July 29, 2020, 05:08:17 PM »
It did appear most people were wearing masks and I heard them call out masks being required in ride lines but did not see them kick anyone out.  I will say the temp thing is a joke.  On Saturday we walked from our car to stop 2 tent and stood in the sun for a while.  The people in front of us had to wait in the tent under the fan for a bit (10-15 minutes) which held up the line.  When it was our turn the wife came back with a 108 temp on their temp gun.  We too had to wait in the tent till hers came down.  I told them they might want to call an ambulance if its that high!!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: July 30, 2020, 10:00:27 AM »
It did appear most people were wearing masks and I heard them call out masks being required in ride lines but did not see them kick anyone out.  I will say the temp thing is a joke.  On Saturday we walked from our car to stop 2 tent and stood in the sun for a while.  The people in front of us had to wait in the tent under the fan for a bit (10-15 minutes) which held up the line.  When it was our turn the wife came back with a 108 temp on their temp gun.  We too had to wait in the tent till hers came down.  I told them they might want to call an ambulance if its that high!!

I was pretty sure the Temp testing would be  a problem...  LOL.. 
june/july/august?
southern Missouri?
have to walk to a tent to get tested? 
what could go wrong there?
after your starting to sweat or at least work up a sweat, you will be hot.     
If they checked anybody inside the park, they would be hot also...   sure hope they dont check anyone who just climbed "heart attack hill"..

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: July 30, 2020, 11:27:38 PM »
...after your starting to sweat or at least work up a sweat, you will be hot.     
If they checked anybody inside the park, they would be hot also...   sure hope they dont check anyone who just climbed "heart attack hill"..

We've been multiple times so far this year and always park in preferred parking and walk to the entrance. We haven't had any issues with the temperature checks.

Masked offender

• View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 04, 2020, 02:05:03 PM »

Update. Wore mine intermittently, mostly when closer to others or getting on rides.  My wife basically kept hers down unless close to people in line or getting on a ride. Only had an employee mention it to her once,  and was apologetic.

So, yes,  everyone is basically wearing them. No,  no one is getting harrassed or kicked out for not constantly wearing it.

I'll be glad when this insanity is over.

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 09, 2020, 04:54:32 PM »
Well, that wasn't so bad wearing a mask for 5 hours, Saturday from 5 - 10pm, for Moonlight Madness last night at the park. We would have stayed longer, but the lines were getting really long once the sun went down. When we first got there, it wasnt bad. Got to get on 2 rides right off the bat. FITH & River Blast. Chilled for a little bit, got really wet on River Blast right before the sun went down. Ate some supper, watched some fireworks, rode FM one time, did some shopping, ate - bought some cinnamon bread,  bought 4 SDC shirts, and left the park. After 5pm was only $30+. We did try to get on MRF, but one time it was shut down because a raft got stuck on top, & the other time, the line was just too long.  Not bad for a full Saturday. Definitely a well needed get away. I learned if ya breathe through your nose while wearing a mask, it wasn't so bad and don't give ya a headache. Back home tomorrow, back to normal life. Not bad for 50 - 60 year old folks. Everyone seemed to respect the mask situation, maybe 1 out of the 50th person didnt have theirs on. Social distancing waiting for the rides was, eh.. Some did, some did not. -- We did stay at Shady Acres Motel in between SDC & Branson West. Reason being, we called Ozark Valley Inn ( a month ago ) to get a room reserved for before check in time, 3pm, because we were planning on being there around 1pm, but they wanted to charge us an extra $15 an hour just to do so. So we just said no Thank You & called Shady Acres. But, no matter what, we had a great time for doing a 1 day trip from KC, to going to SDC at night, to waking up early this morning & coming home. We are all glad we went, good to see ole SDC again!!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 05:00:54 PM by How-doFolks »
Live life like it's the last day!

legoerosion

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 13, 2020, 12:22:26 PM »
Went to the park the very last night of Moonlight Madness and it was a blast. Got to ride all coasters besides Powder Keg at least once. I was hoping to ride Outlaw Run at night, but the line was too long and I wanted to get to the cinnamon bread place before they closed. I did get to ride MRF at least once. We waited about an hour and a half, and by that time the sun was already down. Whenever we got to the top of the elevator, my brother and I heard a loud BOOM and thought the ride broke down, but no. The fireworks were starting! So we got to see some of the fireworks at the very top of MRF. Overall a good night!

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 16, 2020, 09:02:08 AM »
I hope the shark infestations don't scare anyone away from returning to SDC.

Anyone else following this on the park's social media? It's been a lot of fun to watch.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 16, 2020, 07:26:47 PM »
I hope the shark infestations don't scare anyone away from returning to SDC.

Anyone else following this on the park's social media? It's been a lot of fun to watch.

Yes!  It's been very entertaining!  They have one heck of a talented person handling their social media. 

Jemmicat

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 18, 2020, 12:43:37 PM »
I am going for the first time this year (and last time ever) this Friday as my move to the UK is FINALLY happening in the next few weeks and won't have any more time. It is gonna be a bittersweet trip, I believe. I have been coming to SDC with my family since the mid-70's and it was a thing my daughter and I did together when she was little. Unfortunately the shows are limited (which are my favorite part) but I am going to get there early and soak it up. Probably try to ride all the rides (which I almost never do when I go alone) and take it all in before the big move.

Other than the bridge widening, have there been any other major changes? Also, does MRF have a cubby for purses and the like like the other rides do?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 02:01:21 PM by Jemmicat »

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 18, 2020, 06:24:49 PM »
Made a quick trip to SDC over the weekend.  Had a good visit.  About 90% of the visitors wore masks. But only about half of those wearing masks had both mouth and nose covered.  Social distancing was non-existent in the ride ques, but it was pretty well followed in the shows, shopping and dining areas.  Waited in line for 2 hours to ride Mystic River. The big delay is social distancing on the rafts.  Saw several rafts go out with just 2 people in them.  It was a fun ride, the rafts move much faster than Lost River.  The drop was fun, but nothing to be afraid of.  I felt like I was going down a giant slide. The drop on American Plunge is much steeper.  I will ride Mystic River again, but I will probably wait until this Covid mess is over.  And yes, they do have cubbies in the station to store your bags. I thought the improvements to the bridge were well done.  Most visitors will never notice the difference, and those with strollers/wheelchairs will appreciate them.  They've moved some of the water features around.  And the little creek over by the knife shop wasn't running.  The Swinging Bridge was also closed. We were there on Sunday morning.  They moved the Church services to the Dockside theater for social distancing.  They've made some changes to the worship service that I'm not a fan of, but that's all I'm going to say about that.  All in all it was a good trip.  I'm hoping to go back down for Pumpkin Nights.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 20, 2020, 08:28:08 PM »
I am going for the first time this year (and last time ever) this Friday as my move to the UK is FINALLY happening in the next few weeks and won't have any more time.

If you think the Covid restrictions are harsh for life in the U.S., you're definitely not going to have any fun in the UK!