Author Topic: SDC's 2020 Project (Thread #2)  (Read 146003 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: SDC's 2020 Project (Thread #2)
« Reply #45 on: August 30, 2019, 06:59:40 PM »
My point was--and remains--that not everyone goes for the rides.  There are people who don't want the rides, and we are a population who also spend $$$ at SDC.  Make enough changes, and you will alienate us.  The city *may* bring in enough new blood to compensate, but it might not, either.  Besides, we don't need another 6F or WoF in the area.
I’m pretty sure that the higher ups recognize this majority of people, which is why they haven’t removed or renovate any of the current craft areas. And even though they are brining new rides to make SDC stand out and bring in new guests, they still keep that “city” feel. Especially down by TT. I’m not really sure how adding more rides will turn it into a “Six Flags” Or “Worlds of Fun”, though.

There’s a difference between adding experiences and just adding rides.  The chittlins of the world don’t care if a ride fits or not, he just wants more.  SDC isn’t like that.  The experiences have to be part of the overall story.  We’ve only been trying to explain this ad nauseam since he joined the boards.  It’s useless to lose much sleep over it.  Unless it’s talking about how many foreign parks he’s visited or NWA (two topics most don’t seem to care about on here) good luck having a real conversation, let alone a discussion with him. 

———-

Now for the actual topic. 
Anyone going this weekend to get updated photos?
I thought about it, but I might wait a week
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 08:49:52 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2019, 07:00:04 AM »
My point was--and remains--that not everyone goes for the rides.  There are people who don't want the rides, and we are a population who also spend $$$ at SDC.  Make enough changes, and you will alienate us.  The city *may* bring in enough new blood to compensate, but it might not, either.  Besides, we don't need another 6F or WoF in the area.
I’m pretty sure that the higher ups recognize this majority of people, which is why they haven’t removed or renovate any of the current craft areas. And even though they are brining new rides to make SDC stand out and bring in new guests, they still keep that “city” feel. Especially down by TT. I’m not really sure how adding more rides will turn it into a “Six Flags” Or “Worlds of Fun”, though.

There’s a difference between adding experiences and just adding rides.  The chittlins of the world don’t care if a ride fits or not, he just wants more.  SDC isn’t like that.  The experiences have to be part of the overall story.  We’ve only been trying to explain this ad nauseam since he joined the boards.  It’s useless to lose much sleep over it.  Unless it’s talking about how many foreign parks he’s visited or NWA (two topics most don’t seem to care about on here) good luck having a real conversation, let alone a discussion with him. 

———-

We are going today. Thought I was going to skip the entire year but We decided to make a weekend trip. Ill post anything here but I have had trouble posting from my Mac in the past. Seems the files are to big.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2019, 07:57:54 AM »
Unless it’s talking about how many foreign parks he’s visited or NWA (two topics most don’t seem to care about on here) good luck having a real conversation, let alone a discussion with him. 

This small community is allowing "the select" to bully and insult others on a regular basis.   These incidents always have a common denominator and usually the posts are removed until it happens again with nothing being said.  This is not right or welcoming to anyone, this does not encourage free communication or a good exchange of ideas and frankly should not be allowed.  I am surprised and wonder if the adults on this board would encourage there children to communicate like this?  I hope not.   Every crowd must have someone who speaks up. Not a lot of messages posted daily anymore, I wonder how many have left because of this repeated childishness? 

Moderator put a " Like" button on this board and it may assist in this situation.  Silent, passive feedback is a good thing.  It also lets you know what behavior is and is not appreciated by the other members.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 08:03:06 AM by mhguy77 »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2019, 08:31:55 AM »
Quote from: Runner1960
We are going today. Thought I was going to skip the entire year but We decided to make a weekend trip. Ill post anything here but I have had trouble posting from my Mac in the past. Seems the files are to big.

Fingers crossed that you have better luck posting this time.   :D
Have fun today
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2019, 07:10:22 PM »

———-

Talk about someone who thinks way too much of themselves, lord have mercy

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2019, 08:50:08 PM »
Quote from: chittlins
Talk about someone who thinks way too much of themselves, lord have mercy

Says the pot.   ::)

Quote from: mhguy77
Not a lot of messages posted daily anymore.

It’s because message boards are a dinosaur.  Even the bigger “established” ones have minimum traffic anymore.  There are other mediums that deliver faster information that they have moved on to. 
SWOOSH

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2019, 08:58:03 PM »

I don't think any of us traditionalists mind the addition of new rides, even if we're not interested in them. We mind losing a lot of the traditional charm, especially if they're displaced for the sake of amusement park goers at the expense of the theme park experience.

I know that people aren't cheap to hire, and craftsmen are harder and harder to find. But, the street shows and acting/comedic talent of the SDC "Citizens" cost a pittance compared to $30,000,000 rides. Hand-painted signs can't be much more than those computer-printed abominations. And there's no excuse to leave theming simply undone.

I would sit all day and listen to unknown acoustic acts at the Gazebo or other spots through the park, but I would never set foot in Echo Hollow for a concert or show.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 01, 2019, 09:09:14 AM »

Got one photo early in the day yesterday then we left and I intended to come back. It was after dark when I got back to that area. Sorry, Didn’t fulfill my mission but had a great day at the park. It was a beautiful end to the summer season

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 01, 2019, 10:26:53 AM »
I’ll be down tomorrow and I’ll try to get some decent ones.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 01, 2019, 11:11:40 AM »

Got one photo early in the day yesterday then we left and I intended to come back. It was after dark when I got back to that area. Sorry, Didn’t fulfill my mission but had a great day at the park. It was a beautiful end to the summer season

;D Glad you had a good day.

I’ll be down tomorrow and I’ll try to get some decent ones.

Thank you. Sounds like I’ll take the watch the following weekend
SWOOSH

sirwillow

• Blacksmith
  • Ralph, you remember that talk we had in the cabin?
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Theme Park Worker
« Reply #55 on: September 01, 2019, 05:22:04 PM »

And SDC obviously hasn't forgotten your group.  This is, after all, the year of shows and festivals, which is completely aimed at your demographic.  I don't think that when they do a new ride every other year, and then feature new shows and festivals the others is forgetting.  It's building for both.

Just because you don't like something because it doesn't apply to you specifically doesn't mean they are ignoring or rejecting you.  Not everyone is going to like every single thing.  But as long as they are adding some things you like.  And still keeping others that you do, then it seems they are still covering you pretty well.
This is a stick up!  Get it? Stick.... Nevermind, it's a train robbery.  I want everyone to get your hands up and act scared.

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2019, 08:32:00 PM »
How about an on topic post!

Here are some okay-ish photos from today. The only vertical thing today is the wood structure you see. We are thinking it’s a look out tower possibly.

I’m finding it increasingly hard to get down there because it bores the kids. Lol!  They would rather cut around where there are things to ride.

palallin

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2019, 12:04:03 PM »
  But as long as they are adding some things you like.  And still keeping others that you do, then it seems they are still covering you pretty well.

Sir Willow, you're one of the last people I wish to dispute, but the core of the problem is right here.  The plans to get rid of things that we enjoy--like FM--EVEN IF they replace them with substitutes means that they would not be covering us well. 

As I said above, this is my problem (and that of those who are like-minded):  I get that.  But I believe that this is the place to raise these issues, is it not?  Among a chorus of voices calling for new this and new that, I feel a responsibility to raise my own voice in a call for preservation. 

legoerosion

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 03, 2019, 12:55:32 PM »
  But as long as they are adding some things you like.  And still keeping others that you do, then it seems they are still covering you pretty well.

Sir Willow, you're one of the last people I wish to dispute, but the core of the problem is right here.  The plans to get rid of things that we enjoy--like FM--EVEN IF they replace them with substitutes means that they would not be covering us well. 

As I said above, this is my problem (and that of those who are like-minded):  I get that.  But I believe that this is the place to raise these issues, is it not?  Among a chorus of voices calling for new this and new that, I feel a responsibility to raise my own voice in a call for preservation.
But there comes a time where preservation isn’t possible anymore. They’ve tried their hardest to preserve FiTH, but yet you can only do so much. Same thing with FM. The cost eventually outweighs the voices, where they have to stop preserving and start new. They may preserve it and try to update it at the same time, but then we have people shouting “Not my FiTH/FM!” “Not my festivals!” They definitely haven’t forgotten your demographic at all, as willow said, this year was all about your voice with festivals. But like I said, there comes a point where the cost has to outweigh the voices, as much as it upsets people.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 03, 2019, 03:12:34 PM »

But there comes a time where preservation isn’t possible anymore. They’ve tried their hardest to preserve FiTH, but yet you can only do so much. Same thing with FM. The cost eventually outweighs the voices, where they have to stop preserving and start new. They may preserve it and try to update it at the same time, but then we have people shouting “Not my FiTH/FM!” “Not my festivals!” They definitely haven’t forgotten your demographic at all, as willow said, this year was all about your voice with festivals. But like I said, there comes a point where the cost has to outweigh the voices, as much as it upsets people.

How is it Disney can preserve their classics then ? Here is how. You do not neglect them for years you do preventive maintenance from the beginning. Hopefully they will realize this on newer attractions. Do not let the deterioration get out of control. PM in my opinion is one thing Herschend is terrible at.