Author Topic: SDC’s 2022 Project(s) and Park Developments  (Read 61824 times)

woodgrain

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Re: SDC’s 2022 Project(s) and Park Developments
« Reply #165 on: August 16, 2022, 02:57:20 PM »
I'm interested to see whether the new home for Heartland Furnishings will be permanent. Since they completely gutted the building of anything to do with the Culinary demonstrations, is the plan to just have a furniture showroom instead of  visitors being able to watch furniture building demonstrations? It will be interesting to see.

I hope that's not the case.

I was told at the park last weekend that the plan is to rebuild, but the new building's footprint may not exactly match that of the old building. Was also told that an effort has been made to procure some belt-driven machines for demo's. Will not be exactly the same, but was told there will be demo's again.

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: August 16, 2022, 08:10:34 PM »
Since they completely gutted the building of anything to do with the Culinary demonstrations...

I believe I saw a post saying that the demonstration kitchen island is actually behind false walls and wasn’t removed.

woodgrain

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: August 17, 2022, 03:46:14 PM »
Since they completely gutted the building of anything to do with the Culinary demonstrations...

I believe I saw a post saying that the demonstration kitchen island is actually behind false walls and wasn’t removed.

Everything in there looks temporary. Half of the interior space is behind a "Staff Only" door/wall that doesn't go all the way to the ceiling. If I remember correctly, the television screens are still hanging from the ceiling.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 10:28:47 AM by woodgrain »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #168 on: August 27, 2022, 02:11:49 AM »
Does no one go to the park anymore or are these boards just dead?

They’ve walled off the switch backs near the Lumbercamp falls.  The Wildfire arch has been removed.  They only way to get to Wildfire now is to go past Replicating Lathe and then by American Plunge splash area. 

Trees, overgrowth and switchbacks have been removed to create new seating area for the new food court going in where the fire was.  Oh and the shed that survived the fire behind Flossie’s has been removed
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #169 on: August 27, 2022, 11:14:39 AM »
I haven't even been to the park this year, lol.

I will make my first visit the second week of Sept. and will get a ton of construction photos then I'm sure.

Can't wait to see the replacement buildings. Hopefully they go big and detailed. Very weird that they took down the Wildfire arch, but it was already kind of out of place. Hope it returns somewhere, but who knows with the way they act now.

I guess this means they'll activate the area around the waterfall more by putting in seating and food stands. It won't be a random hidden feature of the park anymore and that's probably a good thing, but it will sure feel different back there.

Lampie

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: August 27, 2022, 11:52:24 AM »
My last visit was the first week of July. Probably going this week.

I’m assuming most of that was done in the last week or two, with school starting up and it being hot, it doesn’t suprise me much that there haven’t been many people there lately. It also seems like there are only 20ish active users on here. Maybe there are more that just drop by and read, but looking at posts for the last few months there aren’t a whole lot of people posting.

I’ve loved the waterfall seating area, for a quiet calm space to eat. I’m hoping that with the rebuild they add indoor seating capacity. Having another air conditioned dinning area would be helpful in the summer.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: August 27, 2022, 04:14:34 PM »
I'm excited to see what they do with the area, hopefully some things stay "hidden" in the woods and it's not just opened wide up, but I'm sure it will be exactly what the park needs.

That area did get pretty congested with the food lines extending into the pathways. So hopefully the redesign takes that into consideration.

Jay

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: August 27, 2022, 08:04:27 PM »
Here is a pano of the area. Having the park not be open every day of the week is probably why construction has really started now.

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: August 27, 2022, 08:07:41 PM »
The shuttles now seem to be sponsored by NAPA. I only saw it on the smaller shuttle busses and not the trams.

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: August 27, 2022, 08:13:56 PM »
I didn’t get a photo of it, but it looks like the new food booth by the balloons is completed.

SDCisHome

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: August 27, 2022, 08:41:14 PM »
I was at the park today. I was surprised by the low attendance, but then remembered school had started along with football. However, it was nice to be there on a lighter day. Hardly any rides and all rides were open, including MRF. MRF opened around 3pm. A few notes from today:

As Swoosh said, the park has fenced off more of the area by Lumbercamp and has taken down the big Wildfire Sign. I really hope they put that sign back up, I’ve always thought it was neat.
All coasters were walk ons for me. PK was running 2 trains and as we were on the break run, I looked through the window in the door of the garage and saw the third train inside.

Something of interest- I rode FITH and as I was waiting to board I asked the ride op if it was going to close after this season. I specially said, “I know you probably can’t say, but is the ride closing after this season?” The operator looked at me, shook their head no, and said “not to our knowledge, but after next season…” he then stopped and lifted his hands in the “who knows” motion. I fully wasn’t expecting a straight answer, but did find his response intriguing. Not trying to speculate, but wanted to share that interaction.

It was a great day in the City!

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 27, 2022, 09:11:21 PM »
MRF opened around 3pm.
It opened with park opening at 10 and remained open until around 12:30 when it closed until around 3:30.

I was surprised by the low crowds today too. It was a great day to be in the City. We then went to White Water around 2:30 and it was very busy.

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 29, 2022, 08:08:18 AM »
"Trees, overgrowth and switchbacks have been removed..."

Sigh...more trees removed.  :(

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 29, 2022, 08:12:22 AM »
Can you still get to the dining area overlooking the waterfall? Since the old BBQ place by Lost River of the Ozarks was demolished, that has become our favorite place to eat and our default family meeting place.

Also, I wonder if they moved the boulder with the plaque honoring Pete and Jack Herschend? It used to be in the area that would be behind the fence now. 

mg

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 29, 2022, 08:23:13 AM »
Can you still get to the dining area overlooking the waterfall?

Yes, all of the Lumbercamp seating is still open.