Author Topic: The Grand Palace  (Read 33038 times)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: The Grand Palace
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2010, 02:14:11 PM »
ONe website stated that "the St. Louis rapper will finally realize his dream of playing in the "Hillbilly Heartland."

I don't know why he wasn't playing in the Theater other than it probably just wasn't ready yet. Hopefully this doesn't set back the rehab of the GP

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2010, 02:17:52 PM »
The reason they had to move venues is because despite receiving the proper permits to have the concert outdoors, the Branson board screwed them over and made it impossible for them to perform outdoors. The inside of the Palace is not finished, so they had to find another venue and thankfully the Mansion stepped up and offered their services.

If you check out the Grand Palace's Facebook, you can read all about the drama.

In short, there are a lot of powerful people who are not keen on having a rapper in Branson...

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2010, 03:00:45 PM »
I wonder if he'll take a trip to SDC before the concert? I could see the entourage making their way through the queue lines on rides!

"The times they are a' changin'"
Bob Dylan
Once Branson realizes that, they will move on and embrace the $$ that these acts will provide. I understand the moral dillema that many are having becuase for many rap=drugs/sex/violence. Lookat it this was, Nelly lives in a huge house in the suburbs, and gives back so much to his community. He has been a boost for StL and an inspiration for many youth despite some of his questionable behaviors. There could be much worse acts to bring to Branson, and let's face it, This is Nelly, and not Paul Anka, I understand the top businessman in Branson don't know/ like/ understand rap (I don't like it either honestly) but I am still open to change.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 03:12:13 PM by rubedugans »

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2010, 03:33:50 PM »
I think it's great that a Missouri son will be the first rapper to perform in Branson.

Of course, I'm still waiting for Garth Brooks to realize that Branson would be a great place to set down roots and get his own theater.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2010, 04:57:10 PM »
Garth would be a better fit for Branson than Nelly...but I think Garth owns Yukon, Oklahoma, and seldom leaves the ranch...Most of his money has been shipped there in a fleet of armored cars,too, I think. He can probably afford to have a Branson theater relocated to the front of his property at Yukon so he can sleep in his own bed each night! ;)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2010, 06:48:58 PM »
Actually, Garth lives in Owasso and can be regularly seen his kids games.  I met him one night Christmas shopping at Bed, Bath & Beyond.  He and Trisha were there doing some shopping.  I took my kids up to him and just asked him if I could shake his hand and we ended up having a great visit.  Introduced me to his wife Trisha...(like I wouldn't know who she was!) Spoke to the kids and cut up with them a little.  He's REALLY a down home....good 'ol boy.

Garth hooked it up with the Yukon Hospital and there is a little bad blood there.  Rumor has it that they were even taking down "Home of Garth Brooks" on their water tower!  Their loss!

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2010, 06:54:37 PM »
I took my sister to the Garth Brooks concert when he came into Kansas City a couple years ago. We went to one of the movie theaters live-streaming the concert, and honestly, it was the best way to go! Only $11 a ticket and it was like we were in front row seats! (actually, we DID get stuck in front row... our necks didn't thank us for that! lol)

I'd always liked a couple of Garth's songs, but it wasn't until that concert that I really began to like him. I would love to see him come to Branson, even if only for a week of shows or something.

And that was nice, too, that he extended his stay in Kansas City because of all the shows selling out so fast!

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2010, 05:09:57 PM »
The reason they had to move venues is because despite receiving the proper permits to have the concert outdoors, the Branson board screwed them over and made it impossible for them to perform outdoors. The inside of the Palace is not finished, so they had to find another venue and thankfully the Mansion stepped up and offered their services.

If you check out the Grand Palace's Facebook, you can read all about the drama.

In short, there are a lot of powerful people who are not keen on having a rapper in Branson...

And the Grand Palace owners apparently are suing Branson as well (or at least had planned on doing so). 

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2010, 06:32:47 PM »

That theater is not big enough to put on an outdoor show and park everyone.
Pretty simple.
 I have seen a few shows there and when its sold out there are not enough parking spots let alone taking up half the lot with the show.
The hotels and businesses around the palace would suffer through volume issues and prohibited parking as well.
I do understand the logistics are not easy and it would become a huge mess of people parking where they don't belong and although they say it would be pg I think they would " slip" some stuff in there that wasn't wanted.
But to be honest I would love to see what happens when those people come pouring out of the theater, I bet it will be a real show, and not a PG one.

jmc75

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2010, 07:05:06 PM »
I was listening to the city administrator on the radio and I believe that it had nothing to do with Nelly himself or the music. The key is safety. Think about how many people and cars would be on that lot not to mention how close that they would be to Hwy 76 I could easy see someone getting hit. Especially if they would allow possible drinking it would be a nightmare not to mention traffic goes at a crawl as it is. Why everyone thinks that it has to do with anything else needs to broaden their horizons.

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2010, 09:17:25 PM »
Which is an absolutely ridiculous cop-out on the part of Branson's administrators, and I don't believe it for a second. 

If they were actually concerned about safety, they would not allow the "Branson Summer Cruise," or whatever it's called, that is happening this weekend.  Hundreds of classic cars and hotrods...cruising 76 and SoH Expressway...complete with loud engines, burnouts, explosive tailpipes...and thousands of people lining the streets for miles, kids included...running back and forth across the street when and wherever they please in front of said cruisers...and parking in yards, private business lots or wherever they please.  Talk about dangerous...this event is the epitome of it.  I've seen cars lose control of their burnouts and bump up on the sidewalk at least a half dozen times in the past.  And I'll see it again this year because the wife's company, a sponsor, has asked us to help with security...we have to because the Branson PD is usually nowhere to be found during this event...at least, I've never seen them the couple of times I've gone.

And yet, Branson administrators don't want to allow a concert on a parking lot where there are no nearby residences to be disturbed, in a controlled environment that can be easily patrolled by safety/security officers, and has plenty of safe parking on site and in the surrounding areas.  I wouldn't go see the concert myself, but I think it reeks foul play that Branson put the squeeze on them like that.

I'm done now.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 15, 2010, 01:57:01 PM »
Garth Brooks  has a special contract with the Wynn Hotel in Vegas where they will fly him in from his kids games, do a show, and then fly him home about once a week.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 14, 2011, 09:11:37 PM »
I am thinking that maybe they have decided not to open.   There is nothing new on their web site since Nelly
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 15, 2011, 07:23:06 PM »
Regarding broadway shows

Walton Arts Center in Fayetteville AR brings in a quite a few and they'll be building a bigger auditorium in Bentonville for even the largest shows that can't play the Fayetteville location.

Also told that the UofA will start allowing use of BWA for events other than basketball.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 15, 2011, 08:20:20 PM »
I hope UA allows concerts at their facilities...Barnhill, maybe Bud Walton, both seat thousands, and would be a great place for bigger name acts.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"