Author Topic: The Grand Palace  (Read 33355 times)

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
Re: The Grand Palace
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2010, 10:22:07 PM »
The outside of the auditorium has been repainted, its blue now and not gray. Carpets have been ripped out inside, work has been going on.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2010, 11:42:59 PM »
Granted, living about 15 minutes from Nelly it is a bit normal to hear about him. He performs a lot, and it never makes the news. Hearing he is performing isn't a big deal...but where he is performing has started a huge buzz with every news station in St Louis. The news stories were full of country music stereotypes, and bad versions of "Hot in Herre" done by aging, uninformed newscasters. In fact it seemed like they chose the most uptight, oldies listening newsmen to do the stories to make the situation seem even more awkward. Good for Branson, good for Nelly, I always say to my wife that Branson will have to change to reach people our age eventually. Will there be a demand many years from now for Elvis impersonators in years to come when no one remembers, or was alive for Elvis? Hits and musicians of the 60's will make way for hits of the 70's, 80's, and 90's. Will Huey Lewis and the News or members of Styx move onto the strip?

Branson will change (don't worry it will be a while) but this is a sign that They are understanding the younger than 40 crowd for once when thinking about shows in Branson. It is a sign for good things to come!

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2010, 06:43:24 PM »
You are right Rubes.  And just to illustrate the fact:  When I worked at the city and got a wee bit tired of the usual Branson music scene (it's one thing to visit...another to live in Branson....bluegrass is the exception), I would roll down the strip and blast a lot of my favorite tunes just to change it up a bit.  This was the 90's so it was the likes of 311, No Doubt, Red Hot Chili Peppers, etc...I always wondered about the day that some of MY favorites would come to the Branson area to hold a show.

I guess Nelly gets one of the first kudos for breaking into a new business model.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2010, 08:35:22 PM »
I just saw 311 and Offspring last week! Go 90's music, I cannot wait until I am that old that Branson is the mecca of grunge music. If we are going by Branson standards here is the real thoughts I have...
The sons of the pioneers were formed in 1933...so from those odds we will have some incarnation of 311 that was fromed in 1988 in Branson around the year...2035 huh?

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2010, 07:26:22 AM »
The Grand Palace has their site up (it's a little awful looking, but hey)...
http://www.grandpalacebranson.com/index2.php

They also have a facebook page where I suggested Lady Gaga, you should too lol...
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Grand-Palace/136187049739903?v=wall#

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2010, 08:15:22 AM »
Thanks for posting. I have been sad each time I've passed the place...it used to be a showplace, alright. Most recently, an eyesore.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 08, 2010, 08:16:37 AM »
I checked out the webpage.
They were smart to add that it would be a friendly clean show with the radio versions you are used to hearing.
I am not familiar with him but late 80's early 90's was when they seemed to add the nasty parts to the extended mixes of the songs, sometimes just a 4 letter word but back then we thought Hell - Bitch were " Gasper's"
Interestingly the choices on there poll of artists included Madonna..............Madonna?
Lord you couldn't clean that up with a tanker truck full of Peroxide or bleach...  :o

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 08, 2010, 09:37:57 AM »
They also have a facebook page where I suggested Lady Gaga, you should too lol...
http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Grand-Palace/136187049739903?v=wall#

My whole family would go see Lady Gaga.  Heck, I'd go just to see what she's wearing!  But I admit, her songs are catchy.

I wrote in Weird Al Yankovic on the Grand Palace website.  I'm not sure if anyone else would go--lol

I'd go see Madonna, if I could afford it.  She is part of the soundtrack of my childhood/ teen years.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 08, 2010, 09:57:23 AM »
Wierd Al would be great. I saw him 10 years ago @ SixFlags StL-what a great act, performer, show. He would be an amazing addition for an extended stay- 2-3 mths on the Branson Strip. He comes through here in StL to a suburb about once a year.

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 08, 2010, 04:24:26 PM »
Wierd Al would be great. I saw him 10 years ago @ SixFlags StL-what a great act, performer, show. He would be an amazing addition for an extended stay- 2-3 mths on the Branson Strip. He comes through here in StL to a suburb about once a year.

I saw Weird Al at the Ozark Empire Fair in Springfield a couple of summers ago, and I agree that he would be great.

As far as Nelly goes, is it common for performers like him to do "family friendly" shows? 

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 08, 2010, 04:39:27 PM »
When in Rome, do as the Romans do.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 08, 2010, 06:53:24 PM »
I would go see Madonna!  I saw her Sticky & Sweet Tour and it was amazing.  Unfortunately she is used to playing arenas and I don't think the Palace is large enough, tickets would be $5,000 each lol.  But I am all for newer and younger artists!  I suggest everyone go to the Grand Palace Facebook site and express your thoughts and opinions!!!

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 09, 2010, 02:40:59 PM »
Article in the Springfield News-Leader today about how the Nelly concert will now be INSIDE the Grand Palace:

http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=20107090339

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #43 on: July 09, 2010, 03:37:59 PM »
I think Branson needs to do what it takes to stay ahead of the economy and that includes branching out to the a-typical music acts.  I think it shows great diversity for them to break the mold.   The slogan for Branson used to be the "live music capital of the world"....not the "Country or Christian or Oldies Capital of the world" (just an observation).

Disney is family friendly also, but the first show that appeared at the House of Blues on Disney Property was Insane Clown Posse (or Gwar...can't remember exactly) and since then the Orlando HOB has become the #1.....I repeat number ONE live music venue in the country.  It has boosted the economy there greatly and it has certainly allowed me to see a huge number of great artists.  Not just ones that fit the family friendly mold.

For arguments sake, you could make a lot about a Beatles tribute show in Branson because of their recreational drug use and drug references in the past, but because they are so accepted now, they just fit in with the Baby Boomers.  Not saying that Nelly is anywhere near a model example, but I hope this bodes well for the struggling music industry in town.

You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 09, 2010, 03:48:22 PM »
Nelly has some crossover appeal. Remember the duet with Tim McGraw?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3htOCjafTc