Author Topic: Future SDC Development Speculation (Long-term)  (Read 157220 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Future SDC Development Speculation (Long-term)
« Reply #315 on: April 23, 2020, 08:29:53 AM »
Train station replication?

Relocation.  My smart phone thought it knew what I wanted to say better than I did and changed it right before I hit send and I didn’t catch it. 
« Last Edit: April 23, 2020, 04:43:28 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

MCLFLN

• Jr. Citizen
  • Going since 1978
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: April 23, 2020, 08:45:52 AM »
LOL, no worries... I just thought you were suggesting multiple train stops/stations. Are you able to share where they plan to relocate the station?

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: April 23, 2020, 12:14:11 PM »

[/quote]

DW would be first and it would be an addition to Wildwood Grove.  The FITH replacement / Train Station relocation is supposedly still our next project.  IDK if it’ll be pushed back or not because it was already going to be a multi season project anyway.
[/quote]

Where/why are they relocating the Train Station?
I'm Your Huckleberry

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: April 23, 2020, 04:48:39 PM »
Where/why are they relocating the Train Station?

The plan (at one point) was to move the station to where FITH is currently.  Make it a lot bigger and it would be closer to the round house for the engineers. 

Moving the station would then prime that area for redevelopment (which includes FM and more in that area)
SWOOSH

Okiebenz

• Blacksmith
  • SDC fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: April 23, 2020, 07:05:02 PM »
Oh boy, now the train station is going.  What is the world coming to.

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 23, 2020, 07:12:52 PM »
^ Makes me a little sad too but the reasons for it do make sense.  They could use a bigger depot and putting it closer to the "square" roundhouse would be more convenient for the engineers.  I'm ready to ride the train again!!! <sigh>

I'm Your Huckleberry

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: April 23, 2020, 08:17:13 PM »
I mean nothing is a done deal any more, but it was the plan at one time. 
SWOOSH

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: May 10, 2020, 03:52:11 PM »
Hope you’re wrong, Swoosh.
Not only would losing FITH and FM be horrible, I simply do not trust the current administrators to build/recreate anything remotely close to theme. Just be more cookie cutter, modern, computer image, PC crap with no soul or character.

(All right, come scold me, shave.  ;) )
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: May 10, 2020, 03:55:27 PM »
^ Makes me a little sad too but the reasons for it do make sense.  They could use a bigger depot and putting it closer to the "square" roundhouse would be more convenient for the engineers.  I'm ready to ride the train again!!! <sigh>
Disagree. It doesnt make sense. Think about everything and all the work that would have to be done. Everything that would have to be tore out, replaced, rebuilt, refunded...on and on.

I understand if I'm in the minority here, but personally I don’t think we all have to agree with everything SDC does. It IS possible for them to make a mistake, especially when taking something that works and getting rid of it.
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #324 on: May 10, 2020, 04:57:32 PM »
Really, with the line during Christmas, I can understand considering such a move.  If they could theme the roundhouse as a part of the station or the queue, it could be a good upgrade.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #325 on: May 10, 2020, 08:01:51 PM »
If anything I wished they could just extend the loop and add more scenes to the ride and give the robbers shack a real shack again. But I know the train is probably not a high priority as far as ROI is concerned.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: May 10, 2020, 09:48:15 PM »
If anything I wished they could just extend the loop and add more scenes to the ride and give the robbers shack a real shack again. But I know the train is probably not a high priority as far as ROI is concerned.

You say that, but they recently bought new engines and they‘ve been rebuilding all of the engines in their fleet one by one. 
SWOOSH

sdcfan88

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan
    • View Profile
    • Stormdragon Weather Photography
« Reply #327 on: May 10, 2020, 10:11:30 PM »
You say that, but they recently bought new engines and they‘ve been rebuilding all of the engines in their fleet one by one. 

From a maintenance standpoint its understandable that they did that as you don't come across vintage steam engines of the same type every day. I just see it as unlikely that they would actually expand the railway and add other elements to it, but stranger things have happened.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #328 on: May 12, 2020, 08:41:33 PM »
I've been thinking about it more, and I'm increasingly worried that the impact of the virus will speed the demise of our beloved classics. We've talked for years about replacement concepts being tossed around for both FM and FITH. It's obviously an ever changing situation in even the best of times, but this virus mess is going to dampen everything.

If they are having to cut down on things, FM could be an easy target due to age, upkeep, having to sanitize the guns, ADA access, etc. Grandfather's Mansion too... This situation could be the stiff breeze that finally sends them toppling after all these years.

If there is a replacement project for FITH as has been rumored for years, I imagine construction wouldn't begin till 2022 at this point... and even that is dependent on the numbers during the recovery. Could be pretty bleak for awhile.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #329 on: May 12, 2020, 09:07:59 PM »
I've been thinking about it more, and I'm increasingly worried that the impact of the virus will speed the demise of our beloved classics. We've talked for years about replacement concepts being tossed around for both FM and FITH. It's obviously an ever changing situation in even the best of times, but this virus mess is going to dampen everything.

If they are having to cut down on things, FM could be an easy target due to age, upkeep, having to sanitize the guns, ADA access, etc. Grandfather's Mansion too... This situation could be the stiff breeze that finally sends them toppling after all these years.

If there is a replacement project for FITH as has been rumored for years, I imagine construction wouldn't begin till 2022 at this point... and even that is dependent on the numbers during the recovery. Could be pretty bleak for awhile.

I doubt we see anything added in 2022 either.  That might be a time to freeze or lower ticket prices though.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating