Author Topic: Future SDC Development Speculation (Long-term)  (Read 157235 times)

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
Re: Future SDC Development Speculation (Long-term)
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2015, 06:30:58 PM »
What about putting Mystery Mine where the treehouse/corkscrew pathway smoking area is? That way we can keep FM. FITH really needs the whole building rebuilt considering how bad of shape it is in, as Ive said before. GM, isnt much of a "Fun" house now. Its old and needs new, updated Fun House stuff in it. Right now, its just a boring, slanted house that I rarely go into. I dont want it left the way it is, but I dont know what could go there if they tear it down. I mainly just want it updated/rebuilt with new technology. To me, having something like FITH rebuilt/updated will be a whole new, better ride, so Im all for that.

The entrance/exit space really is horrible. Do they really expect to get people in and out of the park with that 1 rode on extremely crowded days in a few minutes? I think theyre sadly mistaken. It takes FOREVER to get out when everybody else tries to on extremely crowded days. All other parks Ive seen have much bigger roads to get in and out fast, and theyre separate roads. SDC needs to make separate roads for getting in and out, instead of waiting until you get to OM for the line to speed up. Why not make the exit near Homestead Ridge, near the Shingle Saw Tractor or from First Aid?

Anybody can ride the train, flooded mine, carousel, sand play, treetop trails (most have to go down the ramp instead of thru the trampoline), ball pit, kiddie play area, dizzy dogs, jr accelerator, splash yard, homestead, church, school, the cave, balloons, fire wagon, and GM. I never knew there were 17 rides that babies can now ride because I never counted them until now.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 07:30:41 PM by Laroy »

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2015, 06:54:09 PM »
That's true.  An attraction that produces longevity for the park would be much more desirable than a record-breaker that gets dwarfed during the next coaster season.  Why compete with the others when what you have is one-of-a-kind?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2015, 06:54:19 PM »
They should stick to putting coaters where they make sense: on the outer fringes of the park like they always have. I'm fairly certain they'll keep doing this for the forseeable future.

I've been of a somewhat similar viewpoint to you HB & Preachin Bill, the ride additions have always been a double edged sword. On the other hand though, if they keep adding them in a manner that adds story telling, detail, and immersion to the park then it's still a different world than Six Flags. If I were in charge of the park, I'd do things slightly differently with the rides, but as it is I'm happy they put in the effort that they do while trying to appease as many people as possible. At the end of the day it's still a business. Don't go loosing faith in the park just yet, they almost never let us down.  (Refering mostly to GE and Geyser Gulch)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 06:55:22 PM by shavethewhales »

Tmboote

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
    • Midwest Theme Parks
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2015, 09:29:18 PM »
The entrance/exit space really is horrible. Do they really expect to get people in and out of the park with that 1 rode on extremely crowded days in a few minutes? I think theyre sadly mistaken. It takes FOREVER to get out when everybody else tries to on extremely crowded days. All other parks Ive seen have much bigger roads to get in and out fast, and theyre separate roads. SDC needs to make separate roads for getting in and out, instead of waiting until you get to OM for the line to speed up. Why not make the exit near Homestead Ridge, near the Shingle Saw Tractor or from First Aid?

I've never had problems with the current entrance/exit area and I don't think it is the biggest problem the park is currently facing.

They should stick to putting coaters where they make sense: on the outer fringes of the park like they always have. I'm fairly certain they'll keep doing this for the forseeable future.

I know it's better for the park's theme to have the coasters on the edges, but it is kind of annoying have to walk all around the park to get from one coaster to the next.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2015, 10:09:25 PM »
I love the more extreme rides on the perimeter.  I've always thought to be a genius way to do things.  GE broke that plan by putting the younger kids on one edge, but I they rightly understood that they were breaking with the general SDC theme, so they put it out of the way.

If there is a "mystery mine" on the horizon, would you think it's the ice house theme?  I wouldn't want it in the FM location, as FM should be sacred to the park, but it could be at the riverfront, as that's where ice would be harvested.  It would certainly change the shoreline once again.  If that entire area is revamped, such a thing could be right on the river with a rerouted sidewalk.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2015, 10:15:50 PM »
Do you know why there are that many things for babies to do (by the way, you can't ride sand so that doesn't count)?  Because it's families of young children spending money in the park!  It's families, like ours, that have 3 kids under 8 that are dumping $100.00 a trip (sometimes) on souvenirs and food. While I understand the need for expanding "adult" rides, you have to cater to the families.  If you loose them to Disney world one year, you will have a hard time getting them back...ever.  Look how much power the around 30 crowd has over what is going on in the entertainment world.  They are crowd funding shows and movies from our childhood.  They are willing to drive to get to a destination they know is safe for their children.  Don't discount the babies.  Without thhem, the park would be struggling.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2015, 10:19:57 PM »
That's true.  An attraction that produces longevity for the park would be much more desirable than a record-breaker that gets dwarfed during the next coaster season.  Why compete with the others when what you have is one-of-a-kind?

A coaster doesn't have to be a 20 million plus B&M,  i'd just as soon have an woody out and back that didn't invent. We loved reriding the new coaster at Funspot in Feb. I figure out of the coasters I'm most interested in is the one they hopefully build in.Panama City and the boomerang woodie at the little park near San Antonio.  I'd be just as stoked for a great bobsled, custom mouse style coaster from Gerstlauer or Mack. My #1 desire is to see a new FITH with new animatronics, track system, while staying true to the orginal story theme. We have hashed that out several times. I don't even care if the moved it, as long as the storyline stayed,  especially the pants scene. I've said before if they opened up.the parking lot near GE indoor attractions like Fire in the Hole provide a type of blocking buffer from 76

As for 76, there needs to be two turning lanes off of  76 to Indian Point Rd, those turning lanes need to extend to the 265 intersection

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2015, 10:32:12 PM »
Do you know why there are that many things for babies to do (by the way, you can't ride sand so that doesn't count)?  Because it's families of young children spending money in the park!  It's families, like ours, that have 3 kids under 8 that are dumping $100.00 a trip (sometimes) on souvenirs and food. While I understand the need for expanding "adult" rides, you have to cater to the families.  If you loose them to Disney world one year, you will have a hard time getting them back...ever.  Look how much power the around 30 crowd has over what is going on in the entertainment world.  They are crowd funding shows and movies from our childhood.  They are willing to drive to get to a destination they know is safe for their children.  Don't discount the babies.  Without thhem, the park would be struggling.

a junior woodie is a great idea for the future. What do you think of this

https://youtu.be/1vWRSQS6TIs

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2015, 10:42:19 PM »
This little thing packs some airtime they say, i'd love to give it a.whirl.

https://youtu.be/RtYSte59Yb4

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 10, 2015, 10:38:42 AM »
If there is a "mystery mine" on the horizon, would you think it's the ice house theme?  I wouldn't want it in the FM location, as FM should be sacred to the park, but it could be at the riverfront, as that's where ice would be harvested.  It would certainly change the shoreline once again.  If that entire area is revamped, such a thing could be right on the river with a rerouted sidewalk.

This is what I've always hoped would happen. It gives the park another indoor dark ride (we need more indoor attractions). It would also be great in staying with the theme and would provide another great storyline for the park. I have always loved the Ice House concept. It is different, fun, and interesting.

I don't see our next coaster being another woodie. Right after Outlaw Run I think they will want to go in a different direction. If it is an out and back then people would just be comparing the two.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 10, 2015, 11:26:18 AM »
Myself, I am torn between 2 different things I would like to see next.

1. A true out and back woodie. No gimmicks, no inversions just sheer speed. Still my favorite type coaster of any. Or
2. A highly themed dark ride. preferably a rebuild of AP in a mountain type setting with several drops.

As for a post mentioned above about children and babies I will respectfully disagree. I think the park right now is slanted to far in that direction now. You have Half Dollar holler, GE, Fireman's landing, The train, FM, Lost River, Hi-LO silos,GM,  All the summer shows are kids stuff.  So really the park leans very heavy to the family friendly side. Hopefully the PTB can find the right mix to satisfy everyone. I really am torn though about replacement of old classics. I would prefer that they be totally removed if they cannot maintain them and they become a shell of what the original intent was. That is sad and not popular but everything has a life span and some things are reaching it.

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 10, 2015, 03:00:35 PM »
I love good air-time woodies as much as anyone else but I that that would be the worst idea on this board.  They just put in one of the best in the world?

As a Dad of 4 young ones who also loves me some big roller coasters I'd love to see a good modern 'starter' coaster be installed.  Yes....like fire chaser...to be able to share the fun with the kids.  I also agree that the park needs more inside (AC and/or heated) rides....so a quality dark ride (or FITH rework) would be welcomed.

Imagine a people mover type of Disney rework for FITH?  (Don't hate me)  Or just make sure the remake includes a higher load rate for the ride.

SDC should almost by embarrassed by AP....it really needs to be either replaced or refurbished ASAP.  The cheapest option I'd like to see is using the 'American' part of it and just work on the theme around that.

FM can wait.....it just needs new 'modern' tech for the guns.....add some results for the boat at the end of the ride....a few new 'easter eggs' to find.

I really hope SDC gives at least one old rides some love next year and follow up with a family coaster or another 'big' ride/attraction the year after.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

HumphreyHawk

• Cave Guide
  • I do not think it means what you think it means
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 10, 2015, 03:05:50 PM »
We also need to mindful that I'm sure right now with the addition of FL....SDC is probable at an all-time high in the number of rides it's currently operating.  Each new rides has continuing operations costs with them.  I wouldn't be surprised if the need to balance those cost out in the future by having to close attractions before opening new ones.  I've always wondered what the business cost cap is on that.
"If with women don't find you handsome....maybe they'll find you handy"

Sheriff

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 10, 2015, 03:12:40 PM »
Long time lurker but Humphrey's post made me want to respond and completely agree on a well thought out post. I'm sure people will always want "one more" big coaster but there is a lot of other things that can be done to enhance the overall experience of the park.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 10, 2015, 05:36:55 PM »
I love good air-time woodies as much as anyone else but I that that would be the worst idea on this board.  They just put in one of the best in the world?

Main reason is because it's an invert. Lot's of folks aren't keen on going upside down not to mention 4he added burden of more restrictive restraints. As an adult, I'd like a hyper with no inversions but an 8 year old might not care to hit 90+ mph..  I just posted what newer in smaller, junior coasters. The Roar a saurus is meant be a kid coaster first and foremost.
I think
If I was in charge and a woody was on my list i'm watching how the boomerang coaster going into a small park outside of San Antonio turns out. It would give the SDC noninverting woody it missed out on when CC got OzCat only to close. But adds a home rang element it alway misses. Gravity Group isn't the only one that has had the ideal, GCI has pitches it as well. Heck, Gravity Group has a indoor woodie concept but you are getting into  likely capacity issues.

The GG thag is actually being built

The GCI concept

Both have virtual videos out on the Internet of each.

I'm sure Rocky Mountain could do it as well.

Look, I just want fun rides but give inversions a break. I want reliable rides, Power Keg is not, it's been closed for significant time that caused us to not ride or completely closed on more than half our 14 visits to the park in the last 5 years.

The park doesn't have
1) inverted/suspended coaster, Vekoma makes a good family non inverting one and do customs, B&M has started making them as well.

2)Non inverting woody

3)bobsled/hybrid wildmouse

4)Spinning coaster, here's a custom Mack going to China, it will be mostly in closed in a themed mountain