Author Topic: The Cave  (Read 6175 times)

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
The Cave
« on: October 19, 2013, 06:41:16 AM »
Just curious. When was the last time you did the cave tour? We did it last year. Of course, we have only been to SDC one time this year. I know you have heard me say that the cave gets no respect, & i understand why. I just wish there was more mention to it in commercials & adds when ever you see stuff about SDC. I always say that its the only amusement park that has a cave. Is there any other parks out there that have one?

Long live the Cave!! ;D
Live life like it's the last day!

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: The Cave
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2013, 06:57:48 AM »
last time I did the cave tour was 4:45 p.m. Yesterday

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2013, 09:22:04 AM »
Just curious. When was the last time you did the cave tour? We did it last year. Of course, we have only been to SDC one time this year. I know you have heard me say that the cave gets no respect, & i understand why. I just wish there was more mention to it in commercials & adds when ever you see stuff about SDC. I always say that its the only amusement park that has a cave. Is there any other parks out there that have one?

Long live the Cave!! ;D

We do the cave every year and this past June was the most recent.  It was also the worst because of some bratty teenagers who had zero respect for the cave and the guide.  The guide wasn't great either but I think it was because the crowd was so awful, including one old man who kept asking for beer.  It wasn't funny, believe me.
Anyway, I agree this is very underrated and does not get enough respect.  It really is an amazing cave and if it were by itself it would probably cost 10-20 bucks per ticket to go down there, so it is a really good deal to get in with park admission.  A good way to "cool off" and have some adventure!  Never gets old!
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 09:24:24 AM »
The last time, I carried my daughter through the distance of the cave.  It must have been four or five years ago.  Now, I would have to carry my son, and he's a chunk.  I want to take the lantern tour.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Preachin_Bill

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 09:28:54 AM »
The last time, I carried my daughter through the distance of the cave.  It must have been four or five years ago.  Now, I would have to carry my son, and he's a chunk.  I want to take the lantern tour.

I, too, would like to to the lantern tour.  Seems like we never stay in the park quite that long because we leave to go for a boat ride.  Who has done the lantern tour?  Is it worth it?  I'm guessing it is...
Small wonder our lives have so little of God in them, when we come in touch with so little that God has made.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 11:20:39 AM »
The lantern tour is not worth the extra ten bucks in my opinion

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 11:57:17 AM »
I haven't been in the cave for awhile because I can't do the steps any longer.  We used to go once a year.  My sister and daughter took the lantern tour a couple of years ago and really enjoyed it. 

Unruly teens and a guy asking for beer???? That's really not funny!  Too bad they can't text or radio for someone to pull those people aside instead of ruining an experience for the crowd.  What happened to civility?

misskim

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 01:03:11 PM »
My family (husband + 3 teens) did it this summer. I am afraid of heights and had a panic attack the last time we did it, so I sent them back down this year and I stayed up at the bakery eating a pastry and reading my Kindle. It was my favorite day of our trip...

sdcDave

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 01:25:44 PM »
We've done the Lantern tour and enjoyed it.  It was in 2011.  The guide was really good and had lots of great stories to share.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2013, 06:50:50 PM »
The reason I didn't feel it was worth it is because I have heard most of the stories before on ther regular tour. We went into the Mammoth room (which I have of course never been in) and the Harold Bell Wright passage (which used to be part of the regular tour when the waterfall room was somewhat flooded, but not all the way to the top. Now if they ever do any wild cave tours, it's on like donkey kong.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2013, 07:11:26 PM »
I've never been to the park without going through the cave.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2013, 09:12:14 PM »
I haven't been in the cave since 2005. Shameful, I know! :-\

The cave is great, but for whatever reason, I just haven't gone back down since then.

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2013, 07:16:16 AM »
Thank You for all the responses. I am a nature person, so i really enjoy the cave. Last time we went thru was the hardest for us, maybe we are just out of shape. :D The beauty of the cave, & getting to the bottom of the first room still makes my jaw drop. :o
Live life like it's the last day!

ithai

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2013, 02:24:50 PM »
The lantern tour is totally worth it. Marvel cave is a different cave with only hand held light sources. Plus all the stories your told on this tour give you an even bigger appreciation of the history of this place.

lindseytoni

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2013, 06:59:19 PM »
We most recently went on the tour in May. I think the last time I had done it was when I was pretty young.

You're right about the advertising and stuff. Our trip was a surprise to my husband and it was his first time, so he didn't know a ton about the city. But he still had no idea about the cave after being in Branson for 24 hours before going to SDC. He had no idea until he was looking at the map and trying to figure out where we were.
It was a great additional surprise for him, though. He thought for sure that it would cost extra and couldn't believe that there was a cave inside the park!