Author Topic: Cardinals and World Series  (Read 10720 times)

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Cardinals and World Series
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2013, 08:01:50 PM »
Well you know what. I like the Cards, and Im still happy for them. Not at all ashamed, they did a great job.

On the same note though. They made an ass out of themselves during the whole series. You absolutely can NOT win baseball games by walking the apponents to base and leaving your own men stranded on base.  I have never seen a team leave so many stranded as I did this series.  You cant say it was wonderful Boston pitching. (Not saying they was bad by any means), but our pitching was better. Its all OK though. Its just a game, its not like a "surgery gone bad"

I guess the only thing that really dissappoints me is the fact that Boston did cheat on game 1. (Lester was using that pine tar on the ball). He was caught, but no repremandments.  "If you is gonna cheat-you has no bidness winnin the game"

Other than that, Boston played one heck of a series. They out classed us by leaps and bounds, and they deserve the title.
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2013, 09:42:41 PM »
Tell me more about this pine tar.  I haven't heard anything about it.

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2013, 12:56:58 AM »
Gilligan, you are not the first to comment that. I guess the TV reporting did not mention it at all.  The radio guy sure did.  He said that pine tar was found in Lesters glove. I didnt see that on the local news, in the newspaper, or in any other form of media, other than the ONE mention from the guy on the radio. (I was at work, so the only way I could get the game was on a local radio station-and a weak AM station at that).

It is possible that Lester did not have anything in his glove and just local talent making a comment to justify his attitude.  It is also possible that Lester DID have the stuff, and media was warned by MLB to NOT announce it, and this local talent shouted out prematurely.

All I know for sure is, even in some local publications, the word was. "Wouldnt it be nice to see Boston win - to make up for the horrible "bombing" during the Boston Marathon earlier in the year.  That was a comment I heard at least 50 times a day by media. Especially national media.  Almost to the point that it sounded like a "set-up"
Tim

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2013, 07:40:01 AM »
WOW!  I hope that's not true on both accounts!  I did think the announcers were a little biased in favor of the Red Sox, and I've heard several others comment on it also.

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2013, 11:28:29 PM »
well all national news corporations are based in New York.  Up in the New England states, the American League is the rule. The AL teams up there earn the most, and pay the most, so it goes without saying that they receive the most advertising.

Every single World Series (regardless of who is playing) the media always roots on the AL team.  That stuff doesnt really bother me much.

As far as being "set-up". Well everyone wants to believe that all proffesional sports is always straight up.   If you ever watch the WWE (Monday Night Raw or Friday Night Smackdown). With the new boss "HHH" he makes is blateny clear that the matches are rigged.  Not every match, but some are and he is the one who rigs them. To the point he ordered "Big Show" to deliver a knock out punch to a fellow competitor "Daniel Bryan" right in front of the camera.
That is one reason I dont get too involved or too excited about sports.
Tim

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 04, 2013, 12:01:14 PM »
In my heart the words "pine tar" will always be synonymous with George Brett, but pitchers have been doing stuff like that since the invention of the game. Doesn't make it right, but it's always been there.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2013, 05:46:46 PM »
You can't apply any foreign substance to the ball. But you can have it on your own fingers, to improve grip. If some is incidentally transferred to the ball, it's not a violation.