Author Topic: Government Shutdown  (Read 13153 times)

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Government Shutdown
« on: October 03, 2013, 07:29:05 AM »
Anyone else get furloughed by the Federal Government shutdown?  I work for a state agency but since my job is mostly federally funded I'm out of a job until the shutdown is over.  They got about 80 out of around 100 of us at my office.  Hopefully this will be over soon.
I'm Your Huckleberry

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Government Shutdown
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 12:38:07 PM »
Duelist, sorry to hear that..  hang tough!  Hopefully they will figure it out and get u back to wok soon.

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 05:49:44 PM »
Oh that is a bummer duelist. I am sorry to hear that. We are praying for you!!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 07:49:27 PM »
That's the horrible part of the partial shutdown.  I have a couple of friends in the same boat with you, Duelist.  To quote them, "sigh."
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

qwed94

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 01:12:37 AM »
Gee Duelist, Im very sorry to hear that you got furloughed. Anytime someone gets time off work (unpaid) it is real tough.  On a bright note. This shutdown will likely be very short lived. Still-n-all, hang tough brother. You know I will be praying for you all.  GOOD LUCK BROTHER.
Tim
If a "nightmare" is considered a dream
then I am living the dream

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 06:00:42 AM »
If you're furloughed, at least you can claim unemployment.

I'm in the opposite position: ordered to work, with no paycheck for the foreseeable future. If I can't pay my bills because I don't get a paycheck, I can be fired by fed.gov for not honoring my "just debts". Ironic, eh?

I went through it in 1995 and survived. I'll survive this one too.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 06:03:29 AM »
Wow KB,.!  that's is quite a situation to adapt to.?  good luck.

On another note. Camprgounds closing aound tablerock:

http://bransontrilakesnews.com/news_free/article_080e5c46-2ad8-11e3-b452-001a4bcf887a.html

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 07:40:21 AM »
Thanks for all the encouragement, guys!  My wife is also a state employee at another agency and she makes quite a bit more than I do and she didn't get furloughed (not yet anyway) so they got the right one of us :)  KB that is bad.  We'll be praying for you that this ends quickly.  Somethings very  wrong with the system when you're forced to work without any compensation.
I'm Your Huckleberry

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 05:05:20 PM »
I recently changed jobs and now work for a government contractor, processing paperwork. We're funded, so we just keep moving along! Sorry to hear of others not so fortunate. It's bound to just be a few more days before things get going again. Hang in there! :)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 06:14:17 PM »
Wow KB,.!  that's is quite a situation to adapt to.?  good luck.

On another note. Camprgounds closing aound tablerock:

http://bransontrilakesnews.com/news_free/article_080e5c46-2ad8-11e3-b452-001a4bcf887a.html

From Bush Interior Secretary Gail Norton:

“The National Parks Service has a long history of dramatizing budget issues by inconveniencing the public,” she says. ”They often choose the most dramatic type of action in order to get their message across. It’s something I had to guard against when I was secretary — not letting them play budget games.“

NPS has engaged in such behavior for decades, Nortons says, recalling at least one occassion during the Reagan administraiton, in which she worked as an attorney for the parks service, when NPS decided to close Skyline Drive, a scenic highway running through Shenandoah National Park, in order to make a statement during an appropriations fight on Capitol Hill…

“Given the fact that they have closed so much, and acted so broadly, I imagine that decision was made at the highest levels of park service leadership, in cooperation with department leadership and the White House,” she says.

They did similar stuff at the start of sequestration.

One park ranger at Mt. Vernon said he was disgusted and that he was told to make it as harsh as possible.

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2013, 07:12:58 PM »
I too am furloughed from my job at the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial.  I hope this ends soon.  The bright side is I'm getting caught up on some household chores!

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2013, 07:29:49 PM »
Now don't overreact, PBR!
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2013, 07:33:04 PM »
Parson, what a COOL job! I love the Arch and the park and museum there. Best to you at this time.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 09:29:53 AM »
For the government to put honest folks out of work just to push political agendas is so disheartening! >:(

Duelist, and Parson B Ready, to see you both keeping your heads held up high, and pressing on is nothing short of inspiring.  :)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 08:14:17 AM »