Author Topic: Shepherd of the Hills Play Closing  (Read 28246 times)

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Shepherd of the Hills Play Closing
« on: October 02, 2013, 02:14:08 AM »
Sad news...
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: Shepherd of the Hills Play Closing
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2013, 02:53:30 AM »
What a punch in the gut...

I saw this on Facebook via Terry Wayne Sanders.

I had been holding off on a Branson visit until my job transfer was in motion. I hoped to be on the road before the summer was over, and definitely before Christmas, but that's looking pretty bleak right now.

SDC will always be there for another year, but I will not miss out on the last of SOTH.

So, either this weekend or the next, I will haul my butt up to Branson for a last chance at the greatest outdoor play ever.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2013, 05:05:12 AM »
That's terrible..  another branson Icon..  GONE.. :(

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 06:49:04 AM »
AHHHHHHHH! Unbelievable! I cannot fathom this! I hope it could be brought back in some limited way. Maybe just the three summer months, say on Friday and Saturday only. Whew, I hope they can do something about this. Best wishes to them all.  :P :o :-\ :'(
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 08:29:57 AM »
I read this this morning on Terry's Facebook feed. Sad time indeed.

With Hunger Games, and Reality Shows, and the like... there is no was for this to compete. If the Bible cannot keep a constant audience going in Arkansas, this book cannot either.

This is one of my all time favorite novels, and I first read it in High School. Not that it is indeed the best, or most well written, but it is a place that I connect with on a higher level, and well, I feel at home with this novel, and it is the only book I have read more than once throughout my life (including a masters degree...I DO NOT read, in fact I made it through all my years of college without reading a full book and still graduating both degrees with honors).

Something to say about "Shepherd of the Hills Country" that has been lost to time. Kids and parents still come to the area, but are just more interested in coasters, mini golf, and water sports then outdoor dramas. Rant could go on and on... but sadly when I was there a few seasons back the numbers were dwindling. A large amount of the crowd were Amish/ Mennonite. I assume this is because this would be like a movie to their group (as they do not go to moving picture theaters).

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 08:45:55 AM »
I'm in Branson now and saw this announced on KY3 this morning. Last presentation is October 19. Since Branson 2for1 has tickets we are going to try to go tomorrow night if the weather cooperates.  It sounds as though the play is shutting down not the entire attraction.

http://www.ky3.com/news/local/shepherd-of-the-hills-outdoor-drama-to-cease-production/-/21048998/22226910/-/2q2s7w/-/index.html

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 09:04:44 AM »
Without Shepherd of the Hills there would be no Branson. It's a sad day.  :'(

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2013, 11:00:18 AM »
Without Shepherd of the Hills there would be no Branson. It's a sad day.  :'(

Exactly! Although, admittedly the play just cannot keep up with modern times. Forty to fifty years ago, an outdoor play such as this made complete sense. However, in today's smart phone / tablet / internet on the go world, the play is destined to fail.

It will surely be missed, but what an outstanding run it had! :)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 11:26:28 AM »
FYI- anyone thinking about going 1 more time, you can get a "combo" ticket which is the chuck wagon dinner/show.... AND the Play itself.  I found tickets at All Access branson for 63.00 each..417-332-2121..

I will be going next sat the 12th..

Its a shame, I  would imagine that next weekend and the following weekend, there will be lots of people showing up, paying there respects....  Or like me, always meant to go, and just never got around to it..

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 02:38:00 PM »
In a perfect world, Herschend Family Entertainment could step in here and help. I wish they could buy the homestead and begin producing the outdoor drama. I don't see how the homestead survives if the outdoor drama cannot. Maybe with their marketing machine, they could make it profitable again. Or, at the very least, SOTH would make a great drama for the Opera House Theater or even Echo Hollow. I'm having a hard time imagining the Ozarks without the Shepherd of the Hills. I took my family to see the outdoor drama this summer because I was afraid this was coming. What would Sarah and the girls say?!

psychosaw13

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
    • Destination:Deserted
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 05:03:09 PM »
That was my thoughts when I first saw the news. Surley Herchand Ent can acquire SOTH. for goodness sakes they just purchased the Harlem Globetrotters. The play must go on. That in it's self is historical.
I ain't got no pants no more! The Dang Baldknobbers stole'em!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 05:26:40 PM »
I have thought that when Shepherd of the Hills became unprofitable, the farm could be DONATED to the state of Missouri for preservation as a state park. Much of the touristy things could be pulled, the homestead tour could still be offered, they could still do the big car show as a special event, they could keep a trail of lights, even perform the play to a limited schedule. It is absolutely true that without the success of the Shepherd of the Hills novel, the Branson tourism scene would probably have been limited to hunting and fishing and camping. Not unlike Cassville with Roaring River State Park and Mark Twain National Forest.
-
I sincerely believe Mark Trimble saw this coming in 1985, and that is why he sold out. Interest in historic attractions since the early and mid-80s has waned. That, I believe, is why SDC has moved more and more each year in the direction it has. The last few years I visited Branson in mid-August and saw that many attractions, SDC, Shepherd of the Hills, many music shows, close down for about a week. That would have been unheard of in 1980. Times change.

With all that said, this announcement still floors me...I cannot imagine Branson without the Shepherd of the Hills play.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 05:52:07 PM »
'Sad that the unsightly tower and zipline still stands and operates, but the history and intellectual things get thrown in the garbage.  This was a great show, and video can't do it justice.

I am surprised, with all the gimmicks that SotH tried through the years, that they never brought entertainers into the amphitheater to perform.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Hollwood

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 08:13:30 PM »
You guys have to apply the same logic to SOTH as you to to new attractions at them parks. Dollywood shut down Adventure Mountian because of Labor issues. SOTH Play has a staff of 30+ with the tower only staffing 1 and the trams only having 1 driver. The play is just not what people want anymore. It is a shame that it is leaving, I played Ollie Stewart for two seasons so it cuts me deep to see it go. I think It will be revered, but not with the current valor. Production costs are going to have to go way down... Is anyone else picturing a new Fall Festival show, or Echo Hollow replacement?

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2013, 09:49:20 PM »
There is an opportunity for SDC here, if they could get the rights.  How great would it be to see a SotH reenactment at Echo Hollow, but I have an idea that's a pipe dream.  Perhaps it's time to add some drama to the Hollow - even produce a musical version.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating