Author Topic: Shepherd of the Hills Play Closing  (Read 28256 times)

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: Shepherd of the Hills Play Closing
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2013, 04:23:54 PM »
If we could just find the Gold from Ole Man Dewey's cave ...

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2013, 06:19:36 PM »
"It's for him that there bald is named for!"  LOL

And for the record....I'm NOT bald!  I took that screen name from the book (and the bald knob).

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2013, 06:22:07 PM »
Someone should have realized, a long time ago, that doing the same show night after night, year after year, decade after decade, is not a plan for longevity.  While it worked during the heyday of the 1970s and 80s, I'm not going to go back to see it more than a two or three times in my lifetime.  Had they interspersed it with other productions, perhaps it would have attracted more return patrons and kept people interested.  Too bad, since the production was top notch.  I would have loved to have seen them work their magic with other shows, as well.

Isn't this pretty much what Dixie Stampede does? Granted they have a Christmas show, and they do change a few minor things from year to year, but I've been there 4 or 5 times in the last 10 or so years and it seems pretty much the same to me.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 07, 2013, 07:37:08 PM »
Larson, I was biting y tongue, BUT since you broke the ice..  I think that is what is wrong with a lot of the shows in branson... same thing this yea, as last year, as the year before and 10 years,.,.,,,,,  Come on!! redo you show over the winter!  how hard can it really be.??
//. 

a list of shows that have remained the same ( or very very close)..
Baldknobbers,
Jim Stafford,
Kirby (I have not seen his show this year since he moved)
Amazing pets,
Hamner/Barber (this is their last year together)
Todd Oliver (used same skit as he had on showboat for several years).

These are just shows that I am familiar with...  I know there are others.....

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #34 on: October 07, 2013, 07:56:42 PM »
Sight and Sound seems to understand this with their rotation of shows at their theaters, including changing from Noah to Joseph.

The Hughes Brothers seem to do a different it production every year.

I just want a rotation, so I get a chance to miss a show for a few years before seeing it again.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #35 on: October 07, 2013, 11:59:26 PM »
Keeping things fresh is the key. For example, Silver Dollar City seems to add, and / or change something every single year.

However, it is a bit more complicated than that. How do you mix things up while still staying true to your roots? How do you change up a play that is based off a book? How do you keep things fresh, and interesting when you are telling the same story? How do you allow, or refuse to allow technology to play a role in the production?

Plus, there are literally dozens of new, and innovative shows just down the road that feature air conditioned buildings, and other comfort amenities. Shepherd of the Hills is certainly a hard sell.

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2013, 06:58:17 PM »
I agree that shows do tend to get stale. But the point I was trying to make was, in spite of this, DS and these others are still successful and still fill seats. I don't think that SOTH doing the same show year after year after year has as much to do with its demise as other factors. The other shows continue on, even by repeating the same thing (or close) by bringing in new audiences. Sure there is more giltz and glamour, lights, music etc., but once you've seen them, you've seen them. I can go to DS in Branson, Pigeoen Forge or wherever and pretty much know what's going to happen. This summer we went to Lumberjack Fued in Pigeon Forge and it was the same thing. Red vs Blue, log "cookies" instead of flags, but I knew how it would go. SOTH failed, IMHO, but not bringing in new generations in large enough amounts to their show. And I'm not saying it's entirely their fault. Tastes have changed over the years, as we've discussed. But when was the last time you saw a TV commercial for SOTH? Or a radio ad? Or anything other than Sunny Day or Travelhost? I can buy Coke anywhere in the state and find a coupon for either SDC or Dixie Stampede. Maybe they have tried some mass market ads and they didn't work. I don't know. But I do know it will be missed and Branson is not better off without it.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2013, 07:00:00 PM »

However, it is a bit more complicated than that. How do you mix things up while still staying true to your roots? How do you change up a play that is based off a book? How do you keep things fresh, and interesting when you are telling the same story? How do you allow, or refuse to allow technology to play a role in the production?

Well said.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2013, 07:32:00 PM »
From the moment I first heard the announcement, I decided I had to go see the play one last time.

Now, I'm not so sure. I don't have anyone to take (my wife and kids are in New Hampshire, and my mother isn't up to going). I can't imagine going to Branson and skipping SDC, but I can't imagine going alone, either.

I'm afraid of being disappointed in the production, like I was last time I saw it in '99. The acting was overblown and ham-fisted, and the audio was horrible compared to the '70s. If I hadn't known the lines by heart, I couldn't have understood a word.

I think I'm just going to rely on my happy memories instead.

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2013, 08:16:46 PM »
couldn't agree more larsonsix.  All the music shows flood the market with ads and promotions and their billboards line the highway to Branson, but you can count on one hand how many SOTH billboards or promotional materials you see.  It's almost like they just sat there on the hill and had that "we started it all" attitude and expected the people to come.  Sadly enough, they didn't show up!

KBCraig - I know what you mean about being disappointed.  The last time I was there (which was several years ago) I had the same feelings as you did.  Oddly enough, when planning this trip on our fall break from school, I asked the wife if she wanted to see the show again and we decided on the last day of the season.  Simply because I love the story and it had been a while since we had seen it last.  Surely their final show will be a sellout.  But who knows....this may end up being like The Great Passion Play.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2013, 08:27:09 PM »
If I have the chance to go, I'll go. It is doubtful, as I have started a new job and have many family and church commitments right now. However, I'll say it again. I'm very sad to see this go, and I wish they could have cranked things up at SOTH like it was back in the late 70s/early 80s...the farm was rockin'  full all the time. The farm tours and the play were packed, and it took a small army of people to keep moving those tourists through. Too bad those times are gone, it is very sad for me to see, especially since I went to high school with the son of the former owner, and one of the daughters of the current owner. So, the loss of this, in some ways, is very personal to me.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 08, 2013, 08:33:05 PM »
I saw it 4 or 5 years ago for the first time in a long time.  I was disappointed in the canned audio that played in the background and some of the script changes that referred to "Branson".  Despite the disappointment, I still enjoyed it.  The hubs and I went to the end of the season show last year, and in spite of the above disappointments that were still there, we both enjoyed it tremendously.  Hubs had a feeling that it was getting close to the end of the production.  We planned to go again this year, but...I broke my leg and now I'm sitting in rehab.  Such is life...

About 10-15 years ago, we stayed at a new hotel on Gretna Road, and the owner was giving us show suggestions.  We weren't then, and aren't now, interested in the Branson show scene, but we politely listened.  She told us to avoid Shepherd of the Hills because it was old and very boring - not nearly as exciting as the music shows.  We just smiled.  

Shepherd of the Hills will remain my favorite "Branson show".  I am saddened about its demise.  

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2013, 09:50:17 AM »
couldn't agree more larsonsix.  All the music shows flood the market with ads and promotions and their billboards line the highway to Branson, but you can count on one hand how many SOTH billboards or promotional materials you see.  It's almost like they just sat there on the hill and had that "we started it all" attitude and expected the people to come.  Sadly enough, they didn't show up!

It is interesting. Most people either know about Shepherd of the Hills, or they don't. If I knew nothing about Branson history, I am sure I would just simply pass by, and think "eh, well that's a nice observation tower," and never know about the actual play there.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2013, 09:55:55 AM »
I think it's about time they remade it into a movie, but stick to the book this time. Not like that John Wayne crap

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2013, 02:03:13 PM »
I have thought about that as of lately, and I don't think it has the widespread appeal. It was a book, but doesn't have vampires, or wizards, or a sequel to make more money for the motion picture companies.

Go here to see my thread about the movie remake scenario!
http://sdcfans.com/forums/index.php?topic=2735.0