Author Topic: Shepherd of the Hills Play Closing  (Read 28261 times)

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Re: Shepherd of the Hills Play Closing
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2013, 08:05:21 AM »
As much as I liked the play and am very sad to see it go I really do not see why HFE would want to get into a money losing situation. I am almost ashamed to say the last time we went was probably 10 years or so ago. At that time I was surprised at how the number of seats that had been taken out and the state of the theater in general. This is just another sign of Branson transitioning into a different type of destination. It will have to to survive. The hillbilly days are over and to attract the new audiences, shows, theme parks and restaurants will need to change to a more modern theme. I think Junior gave a great analysis above of the situation. Hopefully something can be done to preserve the rural area and the homestead in the future. It would be sad to see condos line the old theater site, but it would not surprise me. I have said it before but here it is again. SDC needs Branson and Branson needs SDC for both to survive. Here is hoping they find a common path for success. 

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2013, 06:02:44 PM »
An article in the Arkansas Democrat Gazette today said the theater was put up for sale this year, but NO bidders. I think they could use this for another show, and still keep the play on a limited basis with maybe a smaller cast. The article I read also said that the theater has been loosing money for a while, and the other Snaden investments have kept it floating. The article said Obamacare was another reason they were scaling back on employees. It said they have faced increased costs in insurance that are just too much. The article quoted another Branson area official who discussed the economic situation in Branson, and he said tourism peaked in 2008, and since the crash has been in decline as people stay at home or vacation closer to home.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2013, 07:47:19 PM »
Someone should have realized, a long time ago, that doing the same show night after night, year after year, decade after decade, is not a plan for longevity.  While it worked during the heyday of the 1970s and 80s, I'm not going to go back to see it more than a two or three times in my lifetime.  Had they interspersed it with other productions, perhaps it would have attracted more return patrons and kept people interested.  Too bad, since the production was top notch.  I would have loved to have seen them work their magic with other shows, as well.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2013, 10:03:40 PM »
A musical version of SOTH at SDC...that would be so cool!  I love a good broadway-style show!

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2013, 05:57:35 AM »
I went to the same show night after night, year after year, and loved it.

The last time I went, I have to admit that I was less than impressed. Disappointed, actually, with the casting and the acting.

I'm going one last time for old time's sake, but I think the drop in business was less about the changing audience, than it was about the changed (for the worse) production.

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2013, 09:19:09 AM »
Maybe they could put on the play at the opera house.  ;D

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2013, 10:35:33 AM »
Let's move the cowboys from Silver Dollar City to SOTH. They already have the Sons of the Pioneers. Imagine the stunt show you could have at that theater!

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2013, 06:43:32 PM »
Welp, I'll be there the 19th.  Already had my tickets.  Little did I know that this would be the last.....sad indeed.

Another problem that I noticed several years ago is I think Branson outgrew SOTH.  What I mean by that is there was a time you could enjoy the show in the darkness, hear the tree frogs and actually feel secluded and be drawn into the show.  (Of course, this was also the time when it was a 10 minute drive from Branson to SOTH)  I noticed sometime in the 90's while sitting there trying to enjoy the performance the distractions from the searchlights, flickers from the strip, the noise of the traffic and sadly, the fireworks display from Celebration City.  Within time, all the "magic" that made SOTH unique was gone.  The "trail that nobody knows how old" was simply overtaken.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2013, 07:37:54 PM »
Just another story of a farm being surrounded by the 'burbs! I know a gal at Tontitown, AR whose husband is a 5th generation farmer. The town grew up around his farm, and a few years ago the city counsel passed a resolution that he and some other farmers in city limits could farm until they retired or died. Their heirs are not allowed to farm, zoning says the property is for building houses on or putting businesses on now. Pretty sad, but true. If they want to they can leave the land undeveloped, but cannot farm it.  :'(  The Trimbles, and later the Snadons, owners of SOTH, should have bought up more land when they had the chance. Too late now, unless they dig DEEEEEP!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2013, 09:55:30 PM »
I really think it would make a great state historic site, but sadly I doubt the state of Missouri State Park Division has the money to buy it and run it. They have done a great job in the past when they took over Onondoga cave. Not saying they should run the play, just maintain the historical aspects.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2013, 06:33:18 AM »
Yes, Runner, I agree. Maybe it would be appreciated more if Missouri took it over and operated it as a historical park. They could even do the play on a limited basis. Maybe buy the contents to the Harold Bell Wright Museum and put it where it belongs in Branson.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2013, 01:04:52 PM »
I think there would be some limited interest in this.  Again, I would like to see some quality Missouri- or Ozarks-set shows in there, rotated from SotH, Laura Ingalls Wilder (performed in nearby Mansfield, yearly, though I've not attended), Big River, etc.  Perhaps a yearly rotation, with small concerts peppered in, as well.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2013, 08:59:44 AM »
HistoryBuff, that was my first thought - I hoped SDC would produce it at Echo Hollow.
Rube, I feel the same as you about the book. It's not the worlds greatest literary novel, but its been my favorite read since I was 10 yrs. old. I allow myself to re-read it every five yrs. so that I never tire of it.

The hubs and I attended the last show of the season last year. It was a great night. Quite a large crowd and everyone was enjoying it.

clancomyn

• Ozark Hillbilly
  • "Now boys, be good to the tourists!" - Mitch Jayne
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2013, 02:15:57 PM »
Yes, Runner, I agree. Maybe it would be appreciated more if Missouri took it over and operated it as a historical park. They could even do the play on a limited basis. Maybe buy the contents to the Harold Bell Wright Museum and put it where it belongs in Branson.

A great idea, but MO State Parks probably doesn't have the money or personnel to manage a new park, let along stage a production of a play. A good friend of mine is the site director of a park (I won't say which one), but I can tell you he barely has enough of a budget to employ the staff he has, make needed repairs to the historic structure on site, mow the lawn, etc.

T.

Pudgy Jones

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2013, 10:18:02 AM »
I was looking at a map last night and noticed the the SOTH property is almost completely surrounded by the Henning State Forest. Too bad it couldn't all be incorporated into one big Shepherd of the Hills State Historic Site.