Poll

How would you like to see the Geyser Gulch area re-themed?

Rube Dugan's Magic of Flight
15 (25.4%)
Fire Station
6 (10.2%)
Fireworks Factory
24 (40.7%)
Other
6 (10.2%)
Leave it alone
8 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: SDC's 2014 Projects and Changes  (Read 103685 times)

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
Re: Possible Geyser Gulch Renovation – You Vote!
« Reply #75 on: August 06, 2013, 10:20:52 AM »
Wow! That's tough! I'm am leaning a bit towards the Magic of Flight theme as it would mean the possible return of the classic Balloon Ride. ;D

However, I don't how that would fit into the playground itself. Especially since theoretically, Silver Dollar City is set in the 1880's, and the first airplane flight wasn't until 1903. Yes, I know I am looking into it way too much. :D

The Fire Station idea is neat, but it seems out of place with Fire in the Hole being across the park. However, it would work out well for the existing water cannons.

The Fireworks factory would be a hard one to pull off. I think they should go with the logical approach, and turn it into a riverside dock play area. This is already hinted at a bit currently, however the entire structure is modeled towards a City Hall which is very out of place.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: SDC's 2014 Project
« Reply #76 on: August 06, 2013, 01:00:54 PM »
Merging threads... Again, I like to keep things in specific threads. It makes it much easier for people to follow and prevents us from having numerous parallel threads where people are copying and pasting the same responses into each one.

I'm so confident in SDC's thematic skills at this point that I'm not too worried about which theme they'll pick. I'm just highly interested to see how they'll make the new theme "fit" with the rest of the park and how much emphasis they'll put on atmosphere vs. packing in rides. The good thing about GG was that it was such a huge, immersive experience for younger kids. There is so much to do down there everywhere you look - it really is a huge area with lots of bells and whistles packed away. If they take all that out to make room for rides, you could potentially end up with more attractions, but actually less for them to do. It's a very interesting project to watch for me, I really like to get into the logistics of these new additions.

All that said though, I like the flight theme best. Still say it fits the park the most.

psychosaw13

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
    • Destination:Deserted
« Reply #77 on: August 06, 2013, 05:01:05 PM »
Its just me.... I'm a purist & would want the Rube Dugan name to remain Nautical & legendary to lake Silver.
I don't care for the flight theme at all. Seems too carny. My vote is for fireworks if done properly.
I ain't got no pants no more! The Dang Baldknobbers stole'em!

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 06, 2013, 08:55:03 PM »
Merging threads... Again, I like to keep things in specific threads. It makes it much easier for people to follow and prevents us from having numerous parallel threads where people are copying and pasting the same responses into each one.

Sorry, Shave. Doesn't appear there is an option to create a poll within an existing thread, so I started a new one. Apologies for the inconvenience. 

It goes without saying that opinions around any changes to the park are totally subjective. But I do find it somewhat surprising that some have questioned how the Fireworks Factory theme would blend into the overall park. As I've already mentioned in an earlier post, four of the five coasters at SDC are already themed around something pyro related. Fire in the Hole, Powder Keg, Wildfire and ThuNderaTion. A Fireworks Factory themed area seems like a pretty effortless fit to me.

« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 08:58:08 PM by BackInTime9 »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #79 on: August 06, 2013, 09:15:26 PM »
^Right, there's lots of pyro themes, but fireworks have always seen like a modern, foreign thing to me. I associate them with China mostly. I've never heard of there being fireworks factories scattered around missouri towns in the 1880s.

That's not to say it matters too much in this case, because with this being the GG area they are trying to be somewhat whimsical and that works for this particular area of the park. Like I've said, there's ways to do it right, but I personally don't see what others are seeing in it.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 06, 2013, 09:24:12 PM »
^Right, there's lots of pyro themes, but fireworks have always seen like a modern, foreign thing to me. I associate them with China mostly. I've never heard of there being fireworks factories scattered around missouri towns in the 1880s.

That's not to say it matters too much in this case, because with this being the GG area they are trying to be somewhat whimsical and that works for this particular area of the park. Like I've said, there's ways to do it right, but I personally don't see what others are seeing in it.

Hmmm....

America's earliest settlers brought their enthusiasm for fireworks to the United States. Fireworks and black ash were used to celebrate important events long before the American Revolutionary War. The very first celebration of Independence Day was in 1777, six years before Americans knew whether the new nation would survive the war; fireworks were a part of all festivities. In 1789, George Washington's inauguration was also accompanied by a fireworks display.

Could really do something cool during extended nighttime hours like Moonlight Madness with a cool Catherine Wheel type of fireworks show with contraptions like this:

Something like this over Lake Silver:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqJxzGNPlKc
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 09:32:31 PM by chittlins »

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #81 on: August 06, 2013, 09:35:07 PM »
Its just me.... I'm a purist & would want the Rube Dugan name to remain Nautical & legendary to lake Silver.
I don't care for the flight theme at all. Seems too carny. My vote is for fireworks if done properly.

Agreed.  I see a compromise with having a fireworks factory and volunteer firefighter station next to each other in the area, but I do not like the airplanes.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 09:36:40 PM by History Buff »
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #82 on: August 07, 2013, 10:08:38 AM »
Agreed.  I see a compromise with having a fireworks factory and volunteer firefighter station next to each other in the area, but I do not like the airplanes.

A fire station next to a fireworks factory - that would be funny, and ironic! :D

Fireworks were definitely used during the 1880's, but it would still have to be done right to avoid being cheesy. Regardless of the theme, I would still like to see the return of the Balloon Ride somewhere amongst it. My personal nostalgic side always seeps back in. :D

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 07, 2013, 11:25:01 AM »

A fire station next to a fireworks factory - that would be funny, and ironic! :D

Fireworks were definitely used during the 1880's, but it would still have to be done right to avoid being cheesy. Regardless of the theme, I would still like to see the return of the Balloon Ride somewhere amongst it. My personal nostalgic side always seeps back in. :D

I would like to see the balloons return too. Just not here. Could it be returned to a manned weather/observation balloons on the look out for spin ups since Wilson's Farm and Outlaw Run is giving us the the moving west into the prairie and beyond.

psychosaw13

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
    • Destination:Deserted
« Reply #84 on: August 07, 2013, 06:26:54 PM »
If they do go for a Fire station type of project. I assume this would be "Fire Station No.2" ?????
Hmmmm maybe since the Baldknobbers are burning down the town the citizens felt the needed to add a second station  ;)
I ain't got no pants no more! The Dang Baldknobbers stole'em!

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #85 on: August 07, 2013, 07:44:27 PM »
Haha, the idea of a dueling fireworks factory and fire station is hilarious. That would definitely make the area interesting and imaginative. I'm warming to the fireworks theme, I can see more now how it could fit into the park. I still don't care either way though - just keep the airplanes away!

I'm can't wait to see some more detailed descriptions of this project. I'm really curious to see if the foam ball stuff will be kept, or if they'll try something else. It seems like the foam ball play forts were a 90's fad that most parks have done away with, probably for sanitary/maintenance reasons. New playground equipment seems to be a sticker for parks as well, due to there apparently being huge liability concerns.

This doesn't seem like something they'd announce in late August/September, so we might have to wait until the November season pass sale begins.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 07, 2013, 07:49:24 PM »
I would like to see the park focus on bringing in craftsmen and maybe redoing some of the older rides. put some $$ into sprucing up the AP tunnel, making some improvements at GM. That kind of thing.

Yes, yes, and YES!

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 07, 2013, 07:50:28 PM »
How about a revamp of Jack's Sandwich Shop and a complete rebuild on the tree house? Steel support covered in lumber for the tree house and a ramp for handicapped access, redo the concrete stair tree and bridge to accommodate today's larger sized folk, and fill the tree house with all sorts of new fun stuff to enjoy for kids and adults. I'm in favor of a new "Infinity Room" at the tree house, too! I know, wishful thinking?  ;)

...and, YES, again!

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2013, 10:21:28 PM »
I like the irony of a fire station next to a fireworks factory. It would fit perfectly with SDC's sense of humor, like the designated smoking spot that's next to the cemetary.

I voted for fireworks, but I want any PTB that may be lurking to know I also vote for a return of the balloons!

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 10, 2013, 08:06:30 AM »
I like the irony of a fire station next to a fireworks factory. It would fit perfectly with SDC's sense of humor, like the designated smoking spot that's next to the cemetary.

I voted for fireworks, but I want any PTB that may be lurking to know I also vote for a return of the balloons!

I don't know, another smoking area is right in front of the nursing station adjacent to the RedGold theater.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 08:08:12 AM by chittlins »