Poll

How would you like to see the Geyser Gulch area re-themed?

Rube Dugan's Magic of Flight
15 (25.4%)
Fire Station
6 (10.2%)
Fireworks Factory
24 (40.7%)
Other
6 (10.2%)
Leave it alone
8 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: SDC's 2014 Projects and Changes  (Read 103612 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
SDC's 2014 Projects and Changes
« on: July 24, 2013, 11:54:11 PM »
Continuing the tradition, here is the thread for SDC's 2014 additions and projects.

Usually these threads are for physical additions, but I think for 2014 we'll mainly be seeing them focus on the new summer festival and hopefully some new shows and demonstrations. Keep this thread updated with any improvements you see in 2014 as well, they typically use these "off-years" to do a lot of that.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 08:48:54 PM by shavethewhales »

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2014 Project
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2013, 12:21:07 PM »
 I would like to see the park focus on bringing in craftsmen and maybe redoing some of the older rides. put some $$ into sprucing up the AP tunnel, making some improvements at GM. That kind of thing.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2013, 02:05:28 PM »
How about a revamp of Jack's Sandwich Shop and a complete rebuild on the tree house? Steel support covered in lumber for the tree house and a ramp for handicapped access, redo the concrete stair tree and bridge to accommodate today's larger sized folk, and fill the tree house with all sorts of new fun stuff to enjoy for kids and adults. I'm in favor of a new "Infinity Room" at the tree house, too! I know, wishful thinking?  ;)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2013, 03:10:08 PM »
I remember as a kid being completely amazed by the "Infinity Room" at the Tree House, the "suspended water faucet" in Grandfather's Mansion, and the "faces" in the AP cave.

Simple effects that just blew my mind as a child.

Jay

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2013, 03:59:25 PM »
I noticed on my last visit through Grandfathers Mansion (7/21/13) that the glass-breaking sound effect, as you reach for the gold nugget was working again...and...it was LOUD!
However, the 'rocking room' was tilted to one side and not working. Pun intended, but that room seems to be 'back-n-forth' from working to non-working.

That being said, I too am all in favor of 2014 being the year for UPGRADES to the classics.
You have a great past just ahead of you.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2013, 04:59:29 PM »
I would not expect to see "new" craftsmen in the park unfortunately...

I think we will see a lot of small upgrades through the winter, lots of fixin a repairs I hope... 

no hurry for this year to be over, But lookin forward to 2014

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 10:18:09 AM »
I remember a few years ago when Silver Dollar City did a park wide spruce up, and repaint of several locations. I think it might have been for the 2010 50th Anniversary year, but I can't remember. At either rate, I would like to see Silver Dollar City go beyond a simple spruce up, and do a complete overhaul to many of our favorite classic attractions. Those old attractions deserve it! I know I am "beating a dead horse", but the American Plunge needs serious a refresher, among others.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 12:06:11 PM »
I don't understand why so many people are clamering to see FITH and FM overhauled. There are some improvements that could be made for sure, but if they were to completely overhaul those attractions I'm sure they would lose a lot of their old charm and imagination. You just can't replicate the spirit the designers had back when these rides were originally constructed. These days I think it would turn out very PC and bland, and would only loose the ride popularity and the classic appeal that it has. Maybe there's a right way to do it, but I wouldn't mess with such an integral part of the old SDC spirit right now.

Now AP could use a serious overhaul, but I could see that costing $6-$10 million easily, and would basically entail them ripping it all out and putting in a new Intamin flume system.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 12:57:17 PM »
I don't understand why so many people are clamering to see FITH and FM overhauled. There are some improvements that could be made for sure, but if they were to completely overhaul those attractions I'm sure they would lose a lot of their old charm and imagination. You just can't replicate the spirit the designers had back when these rides were originally constructed. These days I think it would turn out very PC and bland, and would only loose the ride popularity and the classic appeal that it has. Maybe there's a right way to do it, but I wouldn't mess with such an integral part of the old SDC spirit right now.

Now AP could use a serious overhaul, but I could see that costing $6-$10 million easily, and would basically entail them ripping it all out and putting in a new Intamin flume system.

Like I said, the storyline would not change, just the track system and the coaster part Maybe a better recording of the sound track and sound system and new special effects. Even Disney gets around to redoing stuff.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2013, 01:08:27 PM »
I don't think a "rebuild" is the right term....  maybe some HD maintenance..

fresh paint,
maybe new clothes,
new recordings,
repair speakers.

A liitle bit of this type of work would go a long ways on FITH, FM, GM,,  and 200-300,000 dollars would buy a lot of labor and misc parts.

pintrader

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 01:30:07 PM »
How soon we forget!  FITH about 3 years ago did get a facelift.  I agree that FITH should not really be changed.  It would be great if they could bring it back to it's original glory when it opened in 1972.  With everything looking and working exactly like it did then.  AP on the other hand does need something done to it......almost anything would be an improvement.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2013, 01:34:28 AM »
I think that they all Need a complete makeover. FM was great, but they could improve it so much with today's technology. I have really not liked it since it went to the shoot out concept. A 3d version with water effects land go back to the old storyline. To me it just looks ugly and unmaintained right now. Sorry I know that my opinion will not be popular with some, but when you can ride it over and over again without getting off I would think it is not a very popular attraction.

The entire treehouse area could be completely redone to attract people to a part of the city that seems to be dying. The last few times we have been midtown has been a dead zone. Maybe a dark ride that that is family oriented.

As for FITH. I wold just like to see another refurb and maybe the drop segment added at the bridge. This would also be a good ride to use 3d screen technology on and get rid of all the old animatronics.
As for AP, it just needs to be done new from scratch.

Been riding some of these attractions since about 1970 so I guess you could call me old, but I really think they need to move ahead. Like someone said, even Disney retires and refurbish classics.

Sorry pin trader I think I sent this as a private message by mistake.

pintrader

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2013, 09:50:46 AM »
That's all right Runner1960!  I thought that was a little odd but I answered you in a private message anyway.  Lol

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2013, 11:49:34 AM »
In my world of WhatIwouldhavedonia, I would build a kids log flume ride that shared the same footprint of the kid's coaster where the coaster track would run along side and across it with a themed old rock piers and Iron frame

and

Along with a slide complex like that would have a tip of the hat to the treehouse:

While going all out on a highly themed rebuild of AP, but keep the whirlpool feature  between a smaller first drop and the big drop at the end. And how about this kind of theming

Duelist

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2013, 12:00:47 PM »
^^^ That looks pretty cool!
I'm Your Huckleberry