Poll

How would you like to see the Geyser Gulch area re-themed?

Rube Dugan's Magic of Flight
15 (25.4%)
Fire Station
6 (10.2%)
Fireworks Factory
24 (40.7%)
Other
6 (10.2%)
Leave it alone
8 (13.6%)

Total Members Voted: 56

Author Topic: SDC's 2014 Projects and Changes  (Read 103628 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: SDC's 2014 Project
« Reply #60 on: August 01, 2013, 06:43:32 AM »
Sadly, only us "park centric" folks that post here may remember Rube Dugan.

As for what I like (not that it matters) I think The Fireworks I like best. There were certainly fireworks in the late 1880s.  The lake seems logical for a factory location. its all about theming of the buildings ands rides. I see a B&M wing or 4D coaster fitting the flight and fireworks theme but is there room for such a ride where the waterboggan was. I Guess the other one that's opened the year of Wild Eagle was more compact and had a flight theme.

Man, I just want to see Rube back in the Bell.

I can also see a fireworks display over Lake Sliver during a longer lasting Moonlight Madness.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 07:33:03 AM by chittlins »

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 01, 2013, 10:26:48 AM »
Rube Dugan WAS SDC's resident inventor, BEFORE Doc Harris. Here is a quote from the back side of the diving bell post card that was sold on park in the 1970's:  "Rube Dugan was a legendary Ozark inventor who built the weirdest diving bell of all time...and everybody who visits Silver Dollar City takes a cruise in this curious contraption. It's a part of the special fun on the "lighter side of life" at the little town which is the Capital of the Ozarks." So, for me, seeing Rube reappear on park after so many years absence is fine, provided we don't have WWI Era planes flying around down by the lake. It is OK in my opinion to have hot air balloons or even the bicycles with wings thing. However, all that said, I too would LOVE to see a diving bell revamped and at Lake Silver again. If the powers that be actually go forth with a Dugan attraction, I am more than happy to lend a hand to helping them theme the area with old diving bell memorabilia that could go along the area people line up to get on the new ride. Group shots of diving bell crews, and other things to make the standing in line less boring. Something to look at that gives a nod to an attraction that used to be by the lake.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 01, 2013, 10:33:44 AM »
Rube Dugan WAS SDC's resident inventor, BEFORE Doc Harris. Here is a quote from the back side of the diving bell post card that was sold on park in the 1970's:  "Rube Dugan was a legendary Ozark inventor who built the weirdest diving bell of all time...and everybody who visits Silver Dollar City takes a cruise in this curious contraption. It's a part of the special fun on the "lighter side of life" at the little town which is the Capital of the Ozarks." So, for me, seeing Rube reappear on park after so many years absence is fine, provided we don't have WWI Era planes flying around down by the lake. It is OK in my opinion to have hot air balloons or even the bicycles with wings thing. However, all that said, I too would LOVE to see a diving bell revamped and at Lake Silver again. If the powers that be actually go forth with a Dugan attraction, I am more than happy to lend a hand to helping them theme the area with old diving bell memorabilia that could go along the area people line up to get on the new ride. Group shots of diving bell crews, and other things to make the standing in line less boring. Something to look at that gives a nod to an attraction that used to be by the lake.

Would they use the playhouse down there as a site for the theater. Something tells me some of the store fronts may vanish.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 01, 2013, 10:45:02 AM »
It is possible they would remodel a building for a different use. In example: The old stagecoach depot is now part of the fried fancies buildings.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Thunderation

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2013, 12:02:04 PM »
It would be neat if they put the tracked horse coaster thing by OR and themed it to the pony express.
You have a great past ahead of you.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2013, 12:26:06 PM »
It would be neat if they put the tracked horse coaster thing by OR and themed it to the pony express.

^^THIS^^

There's two types of those rides the kiddie one like mentioned here with no rises in elevation and a launched one that can be quite the ride.  They can be themed to lots of things from jet skis to arcs to motorcycles. Remember the concept that was like riding a horse when the ride survey that had what became Outlaw Run was one along the shot tower.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2013, 02:05:02 PM »

There was a time when Rube was a character at Geyser Gulch.  It was a lame attempt to keep Rube alive.  With the diving bell, Rube had a purpose/goal:  to mine the lake.  With the flying contraptions, that goal, the legend of Rube Dugan is blurred tremendously.  Rube, without the diving bell, is nothing more than a hillbilly version of Doc Harris (who is more of a mad, albeit likable, scientist).  Is he using his profits from Lake Silver to invest in the future of air travel?  I'd rather he use his leftover explosives to start a fireworks factory.  If he has to straighten up and become a businessman, a story could still be created along those lines, but to say he invented airplanes, outside of a more steampunk version, just doesn't work.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2013, 01:10:27 PM »
Well the email survey certainly has changed and spurred the conversation. Sounds like whatever theme is chosen for the GG overhaul will set the stage for our next B&M wonder to anchor that area in phase two.

Having a legitimate coaster in that area would be a monumental addition for improving park flow.

As far as Phase One is concerned, I can't say I'm enamored by the idea of adding a few more kiddie rides and a shot tower or drop tower, but... if it "replaces" GG which has been begging for some TLC for a while, and leads to a major addition following, I'm all for it.

All that said, of the thematic options presented, I would vote for the fireworks factory all day long with on caveat. I would hope it's done with a very rustic approach, versus bright, bold colors as the concept art illustrates. Despite how well GE was done in terms of detail, I think it's very out of theme and character for the period in which the bulk of SDC so magically recreates.

The idea of the fireworks factory fits in beautifully (so long as it's done right). After all, four of SDC's five coasters have already been developed and themed around the idea of fire/explosives...FITH,TNT,PK,WF.

If the new theme chosen is in fact the fireworks factory approach, they should borrow pages from our other coaster queues and stories, and really work to make it blend seamlessly with the rest of the park. I would hate to see GE's out of theme palette spill over into the GG area with updated attractions that stick out like a throbbing thumb.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 01:11:31 PM by BackInTime9 »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2013, 02:34:14 PM »
The Geyser Gulch theme is leaving, but the area is not leaving.  Read the concepts.  The climbs and interactive stuff are mentioned.  They will more than likely just be refurbished back into working condition. 
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2013, 03:33:03 PM »
I see a lot of assumptions building here that don't seem to have a lot of backing to them, so maybe it's time we regathered some thoughts here and slowed this rumor mill down a bit.

What we know right now that the park has been investigating a combination GG-refurbishment and Zamperla kiddie/family ride package with the S&S tower from CC included as well.

What we don't know is when they'll do this, or even IF they'll go ahead with it. We also know nothing about the next coaster project. Even if we did know something, so much can change if the PTB doesn't get the response they want or if they start freaking out about the park's numbers not being as high as they expected. I've heard SDC's numbers are at least not down from last year anymore, but with a new $10 million coaster I'm sure they were hoping for at least a 10% increase in attendance.

I could see the GG project happening in 2015 honestly, with them using 2014 to sit back and let their finances recover and try to push their numbers back up with the new festivals and events. That's purely speculation on my part, but it's just an example of a different route they could take right now.

The only reason we have to believe that another coaster is on the way soon is because Pete Herschend reportedly said something to someone that sounded like a hint. While I think that was something to get excited about, it really doesn't bear that much weight when you consider that Pete isn't really involved with the park's operations anymore, and it was only an off-the-cuff remark that could have meant anything. I know Swoosh has some speculation to offer, but when it comes to another B&M coming anytime soon I'll believe it when it's announced. It just doesn't add up when you look at the way this company behaves and how the market seems to be acting right now.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 02, 2013, 07:25:50 PM »
I see a lot of assumptions building here that don't seem to have a lot of backing to them, so maybe it's time we regathered some thoughts here and slowed this rumor mill down a bit.

What we know right now that the park has been investigating a combination GG-refurbishment and Zamperla kiddie/family ride package with the S&S tower from CC included as well.

What we don't know is when they'll do this, or even IF they'll go ahead with it. We also know nothing about the next coaster project. Even if we did know something, so much can change if the PTB doesn't get the response they want or if they start freaking out about the park's numbers not being as high as they expected. I've heard SDC's numbers are at least not down from last year anymore, but with a new $10 million coaster I'm sure they were hoping for at least a 10% increase in attendance.

I could see the GG project happening in 2015 honestly, with them using 2014 to sit back and let their finances recover and try to push their numbers back up with the new festivals and events. That's purely speculation on my part, but it's just an example of a different route they could take right now.

The only reason we have to believe that another coaster is on the way soon is because Pete Herschend reportedly said something to someone that sounded like a hint. While I think that was something to get excited about, it really doesn't bear that much weight when you consider that Pete isn't really involved with the park's operations anymore, and it was only an off-the-cuff remark that could have meant anything. I know Swoosh has some speculation to offer, but when it comes to another B&M coming anytime soon I'll believe it when it's announced. It just doesn't add up when you look at the way this company behaves and how the market seems to be acting right now.

That's on the mark, shave.  Besides, as they market things, everything they do is "going to be exciting".  Remember when HDH was going to be a huge deal or when C&C was going to be a huge deal?  You have to admit, those things weren't the most exciting additions in the world (The word "huh?" comes to mind.).

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 02, 2013, 09:23:12 PM »

That's on the mark, shave.  Besides, as they market things, everything they do is "going to be exciting".  Remember when HDH was going to be a huge deal or when C&C was going to be a huge deal?  You have to admit, those things weren't the most exciting additions in the world (The word "huh?" comes to mind.).

HDH, The play structure was underwhelming and it needed another kiddie ride. The design and styling was just fine. If you got 3 to 6 year olds it serves it's purpose. What I noticed is the original renderings of Wilson's Farm had a mini swing to the right of the Gaint Swing Barn Entrance, it didn't go there but ended up in HDH.

History Buff

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 02, 2013, 09:46:54 PM »
I do have a three year old, but I can go to McDonald's or Chik-Fil-A and do a play structure for free.  I don't plan to waste a lot of time chasing him around HDH.  Not to say we don't go, but as you say, the styling looks great, but it seems like a lot of money for what it is.  More play to go with the structure would have been nice.

Anyway, to keep this thread on topic, don't be distracted by the required marketing language that hypes expectations - no matter what the payoff.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 02, 2013, 11:54:20 PM »
I do have a three year old, but I can go to McDonald's or Chik-Fil-A and do a play structure for free.  I don't plan to waste a lot of time chasing him around HDH.  Not to say we don't go, but as you say, the styling looks great, but it seems like a lot of money for what it is.  More play to go with the structure would have been nice.

Anyway, to keep this thread on topic, don't be distracted by the required marketing language that hypes expectations - no matter what the payoff.

Playgrounds at Mcdonalds are going the way of the do do bird, One did survive a remodel this year here in Fayetteville. I was Shocked. I remember these:

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Possible Geyser Gulch Renovation – You Vote!
« Reply #74 on: August 06, 2013, 10:10:22 AM »
A recent SDC email survey hinted at the possibility of future plans to improve the Geyser Gulch area with a brand new theme, complete with an offering of several new family rides. Links to the three theme descriptions and concept art shared in the survey are below.

What would you like to see in the Geyser Gulch area going forward? NOTE: Voting is for SDCFans.com entertainment purposes only.   

Rube Dugan’s Magic of Flight
http://www.keysurvey.com/User/85/85546/media/34/34479.jpg

Fire Station
http://www.keysurvey.com/User/85/85546/media/34/34480.jpg

Fireworks Factory
http://www.keysurvey.com/User/85/85546/media/34/34347.jpg

Possible ride additions
http://www.keysurvey.com/User/85/85546/media/34/34478.png
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 10:40:22 AM by BackInTime9 »