Author Topic: Seat belts  (Read 10937 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Seat belts
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2012, 04:46:01 PM »
Ditto Ozark,  thanks again ;D

SDC#1fan

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2012, 08:56:54 PM »
OK so putting laws and government aside why would you choose to not wear something that increases then chance of you surviving a crash?
Look dad a bear! (colton pointing to a Cow)

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 07:35:12 AM »
For the same reason people choose to smoke knowing full well that it can cause all sorts of health problems. Cuz they can.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

SDC#1fan

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 07:57:16 AM »
Because they can is kind of a silly reason. Hey once they get in a crash or get lung cancer (from smoking) we can all help pay there doctors expenses by paying higher premiums!
Look dad a bear! (colton pointing to a Cow)

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 10:12:04 AM »
I've been gone for a while and just popped back in as of last week.

Sometimes I wear mine and sometimes I don't. What I don't understand is why seatbelt laws are compulsary and wearing a helmet on a motorcycle is optional.  ??? ??? ???

<Soapbox>
That being said I don't think it should be a law that you have to wear your seatbelt. The cops are just out to make money, it really doesn't have all that much to do with saftey.
Gotta make that quota somehow!!!
</soapbox>

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 10:20:19 AM »
This is a point of discussion in many classes, my stats say:

Illinois and Iowa-No Helmet
27 have limited usage laws -under certain ages usually 17-20yrs
21 have all riders (including MO)

Would you choose to ride PK or FITH with no restraint? you might make it if you hold on....but would you really want to take a chance?

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 11:07:13 AM »
The cops are just out to make money, it really doesn't have all that much to do with saftey. Gotta make that quota somehow!!!

Despite popular belief, that is actually just a myth. True, the courts receive some income from traffic ticket fines, but in reality there is no such thing as a money making "quota." The police officer simply has to do what he gets paid a set salary to do, and that is to enforce the law. At least where I live. :)

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 11:09:46 AM »
Would you choose to ride PK or FITH with no restraint? you might make it if you hold on....but would you really want to take a chance?

Haha, well since practically the only thing to hold on to while riding PowderKeg is the restraints, I think I will keep them. ;D

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 05:48:49 PM »
I always wear mine. I started doing so before it was the law, and I still do so even where it's not the law (New Hampshire).

I started riding motorcycles when helmets were mandatory almost everywhere, but I wear a helmet even now that it's not.

That said, I strongly oppose mandatory helmet and seat belt laws. I've never smoked, and I hate smoking, but I also strongly oppose smoking bans.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 05:49:46 PM »
thanks KB. ;D

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 11:57:51 AM »
I was thinking again about this...my thoughts are that even if I was going at a Flooded Mine pace down the road and would not need a belt, what if someone collided with me going PK pace?

I know it was outlandish to bring up the analogy in the first place, but as a teacher and coach ov "invincible 16 yrs olds with new driver's licenses" I field these issues alot, but true PK goes 60mph, so does your car, and you know you are going upsode down, so you buckle up...but if the ride was not predictable and you did not know what the path would look like, would you take your chances and go unrestrained?

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 12:28:50 PM »
I think most people who chose to not wear a seatbelt understand the consequences, but for whatever personal reason have chosen to take the risk. Everyone has the right to be in control of their own safety I suppose, even if it is dangerous. Some folks just like living on the edge. :P

I love my seatbelt however! It makes me feel like I am about to strap in for a rollercoaster ride!  ;D

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 12:31:54 PM »
I agree totally, personal preference, I just like to make people question things sometimes!

I will be like the ride operators on Wildfire once my daughter is old enough to drive (many years from now!) going by pulling on the seatbelt/harness then giving the thumbs up!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2012, 12:34:50 PM »
Just be sure to keep your arms, and legs inside the vehicle at all times. :P

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
Seatbelts
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2012, 08:53:49 AM »
Do you wear ya'rs or not? Please give explanation wheather you do or not.

I used to not wear mine till i was involved in a 1 vehicle minor accident in the snow, of my own doing, i hit my head on the side window & steering wheel. I started wearing mine after that, & Thank God i did.. When i was a alchoholic years later, i crashed a vehicle & had a BAD accident, 1 vehicle again, & if i wouldnt of had it on i may of ended up in the windsheild. I hit a power poll & into a drainage ditch to a abrupt stop. I hit so hard it knocked my shoes off! I had passed out behind the wheel. Broke the transfer case of a 4X4 in half, & shoved the right side firewall back afew inches. Sorry so graffic..
Live life like it's the last day!