Author Topic: Seat belts  (Read 10935 times)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Seatbelts
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2012, 10:00:38 AM »
i think we have touched on this topic before, and of course everybody had their own views/opinions..

I am a bit of a nonconformist, I DONT wear seat belts, because "they" (the government), tells me i have too..  My Strong feelins are,

I am over 21..
I pay taxes,
This is a free country, (for now anyway, another discussion..LOL),
i should have the option to wear or not...........

HOWEVER, I do think there should be a mandatory law for kids to wear them, Lets face it..Not all parents protect their young ones while in the car. SO i feel that trying to protect is ok..  of course, after the child grows up they will wear belts automatically,,, and thats ok too...

I grew up in kansas, where helemts are also not mandatory, unlike missouri where you have to wear them... Thus the reason why i never rode in missouri,,

I realize there are all sorts of "stats" that can be quoted for and against either law,,, .....

but you asked...LOL...

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
Re: Seatbelts
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2012, 10:14:26 AM »
i respect ya'r post sanddune, my mom feels the same way about the goverment trying to control things.

and you may be right, we may have dicussed this before. my memory sucks, i'm just trying to fire up the ol' board. ::)
Live life like it's the last day!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: Seat belts
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2012, 10:21:01 AM »
Topics have been merged.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2012, 10:47:36 AM »
i respect ya'r post sanddune, my mom feels the same way about the goverment trying to control things.

and you may be right, we may have dicussed this before. my memory sucks, i'm just trying to fire up the ol' board. ::)

Thanks rube, 

HOw do, The site has been a little anti-climatic the last 48 hours or so....LOL ;D

DianaGail

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2012, 10:29:43 PM »
Always.  Number one, that stupid beeping in the car won't stop unless I put it on.  Number two, our health insurance doesn't have to cover injuries if we are not buckled in.  Number three, I have too much to loose.

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2012, 11:07:40 AM »
I don't usually wear a seat belt for normal driving around town or going to work.  But I do wear one when I get out on the highway for an extended trip. 

That being said...I feel that being made to wear one by law is an infringement on my constitutional right to "liberty and the pursuit of happiness."  For me, they're really irritating on my neck, and make me feel encumbered.  The same goes for the helmet law. 

As far as lives being saved by a seat belt as opposed to no seat belt, there is a difference but it's not all that great, something like 10-15 percent.  They may help with head-on collisions, but for side impacts they're next to useless and probably contribute to greater injuries.

Anyway, that's my two cents.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2012, 03:45:36 PM »
They were helpful when I rolled a car in a ditch late at night and was left hanging upside down in my seat instead of being under the car.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2012, 09:47:50 AM »
My wife and I were in an accident in Memphis in 1995. I wore a seatbelt, but left the hospital in three days. She did not, and left the hospital in about a month or so. I reccomend all folks wear a seatbelt, no matter how long or shor the trip is. Your life is worth more than some discomfort while driving or riding.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2012, 08:05:21 PM »
My wife and I were in an accident in Memphis in 1995. I wore a seatbelt, but left the hospital in three days. She did not, and left the hospital in about a month or so. I reccomend all folks wear a seatbelt, no matter how long or shor the trip is. Your life is worth more than some discomfort while driving or riding.

Yup!  Do it for yourself and loved ones.