Author Topic: Seat belts  (Read 10936 times)

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
Seat belts
« on: March 05, 2012, 07:49:58 PM »
Do you wear yours or not? Please explain either way.

I had a bad DUI accident back in 2000, & if i would have not had it on i probably would of hit the steering wheel & or windshield. I have always worn mine since i started driving, it makes me feel safe. My mother does not wear hers & it makes me nervous for her, she is so short that she is right up on the wheel.
Live life like it's the last day!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
Re: Seat belts
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 07:54:39 PM »
Interesting topic.

I always wear mine. In fact, it is so second nature for me to put my seatbelt on that I do it subconsciously without even thinking about it. On the other hand, my father refuses to wear his. The only time he puts his on is when he gets pulled over by a police officer. :P

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 07:55:59 PM »
my car has none!

Really it doesn't, a 1950 Pontiac has no seat belts. But in my daily driver I non wear it. With a daughter and wife I have too much to lose as the sole breadwinner. and even if I drive safe, it could be someone else that causes the accident. I did not used to wear one locally in my old truck, but highway always wore one.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 08:31:09 PM »
Sorry guys, dont wear it,,,  I dont think it should be a law to wear it either..... I am old enough to drink, vote, die for my country........ I dont need to be told to wear a belt..... 

HOWEVER,.  when it somes to small children., some of these parents dont use their head, so i dont mind the PTB trting to protect the little ones..

AND!!!,  when i used to ride street bikes, I also didnt wear a helmet, and i would not ride into missouri because it was a helmet wearing state....

Sorry everybody,  you may not like what i feel... BUT it is the USA and it is one of our rights to speak!! and you did ask...  LOL... ;D

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 08:36:06 PM »
YO DUDES!  Click it or ticket!   ;D

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 08:42:37 PM »
Sorry guys, dont wear it,,,  I dont think it should be a law to wear it either..... I am old enough to drink, vote, die for my country........ I dont need to be told to wear a belt..... 

I am a huge advocate of wearing a seatbelt, but I completely agree with you! I think a legal adult should have the right to choose whether, or not they want to wear a seatbelt. I insist on wearing a seatbelt, but that doesn't mean that you should be forced to. :)

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2012, 08:54:42 PM »
thanks Ozark, :)

SDC#1fan

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 10:35:33 PM »
Well i am a firm believer that the goverment does force its hand to much but in this case i must say that the seat bealt laws are a good thing. You might say u dont want to wear it and its your right but what does your family say when you are dead from an accident you could have survived with your belt on. Also you have to look at the history of roadway saftey and you will see that there has been a dramatic decress in fatality wrecks. This decrese in deaths means a decrease in insurance rates because there is less of a liability for the insurance companys. You also have to look at your children yes you say u must buckle them up but what kind of example are you setting for them. Once they turn 16 and are on there own they wont wear it because Dad or Mom never did and then get in a wreck and die and that is all on u. There is no argument to be made that a seat bealt is not a good idea.
Look dad a bear! (colton pointing to a Cow)

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 11:08:43 PM »
Wearing a seatbelt should be a personal decision, and a personal responsibility. I think every person should have the right to chose whether they want to remain buckled into a car, or smash through the front windshield. That’s the great thing about it. If someone chooses to not buckle up, then the only person they are hurting is themselves. It’s not like smoking in a restaurant where others are forced to breathe in second hand smoke. Smokers know that cigarettes are bad for their own health, but as long as they don’t make someone else breathe it too, then it shouldn’t be a problem. Again, I am a huge supporter of wearing a seatbelt, and seatbelts do save lives. However, your own safety should be your own choice, not the governments. :)

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 12:02:16 AM »
I always wear my seatbelt, mostly out of habit because growing up my mom wouldn't let the car move until everybody had a seatbelt on. A senior from the local high school died almost a week ago in a car accident. They said its because she wasn't wearing a seatbelt, but how could they know that was the reason she didn't make it? There are many things that could happen in a car crash that have nothing to do with a seatbelt, so I'm not saying either way you should or should not wear one. I just wear one because I click without even thinking about it.
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 12:14:20 AM »
... They said its because she wasn't wearing a seatbelt, but how could they know that was the reason she didn't make it? There are many things that could happen in a car crash that have nothing to do with a seatbelt, ...

Oh it's usually obvious when the lack of a seatbelt causes a death in an auto collision.

I too am irked that the government has once again been able to take something personal and slap laws on it. I see the arguments for it, and while I don't disagree it still makes me worry that we are quickly loosing our ability to put our foot down on these types of intrusions. I don't really know how much worse people want it to get before they start taking a more active role in their government.

But I digress, I don't want to get too political here, I'd just rather ask why than why not in this case (and many others).

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 05:40:25 AM »
Great responses everyone, Thank You.
Live life like it's the last day!

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 07:27:18 AM »
My name is Trams and I am an avid seatbelt wearer. I didnt like to at first. But its kinda a monkey see monkey do with the kid and I try to be fair with him when I can. Now I dont notice it and miss it if I forget to put it on. Its become a security blanket of sorts. But if someone else dont want to wear their seat belt thats their decision. I dont mind either way.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2012, 09:48:21 AM »
My name is Trams and I am an avid seatbelt wearer. I didnt like to at first. But its kinda a monkey see monkey do with the kid and I try to be fair with him when I can.

Exactly! As a responsible parent, you have chosen to wear your seatbelt to set an example for your child. You didn't need any laws to force you to teach your child about safety. However, there is always an exception to every rule, and I am one of them. Going back to my father, he never wears his seatbelt, even when I was a child myself. Yet, here I am as an adult making the choice to wear mine each, and every time I get into a car.

DollarCityBoy

• Conductor
  • SDC Fan since 1987
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2012, 11:15:01 AM »
Wearing my seat belt is second nature / force of habit for me. I don't even realize I am doing it, its like starting the car for me.
Just the other day for instance, I drove up the street to my aunt's house, probally 8 houses up the street from ours, put my seat belt on. Like I said second nature.
I like what Trams said about it being a 'security blanket of sorts,' that's what it is for us as well, it just feels weird without wearing it.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 11:17:07 AM by DollarCityBoy »
You have a great past just ahead of you.