Author Topic: Lockers and other stuff  (Read 13755 times)

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Lockers and other stuff
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2008, 08:45:22 PM »
Dang that kinda ticks me off. I have left my cell phone just sitting there in the cubby on Powderkeg and Wildfire and it was still there when I got back from my ride. If they removed the cubbies because things were getting stolen, that is one thing that I understand. If they removed them to get an extra dollar, that is not Herschend like at all. They will never admit to hounding people for a few extra dollars though so we may never know.

>:( Grr.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 08:50:03 PM by Coaster »
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

SDC Citizen

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2008, 09:52:50 PM »
i can assure you that the cubbies were not removed because people were not using the pay lockers enough, from what i understand at Lost River anyway, is that items were accidently picked up by the wrong people or were stolen out of the cubbies in the last few years, and that it is impossible for the loaders/unloaders to keep track of every item and who it belongs to. Also it does speed up the loading process especially when on the long que line.

SDC is a great place to work, a very caring company, and i know for a fact that they are not trying to get into your pocket on this issue. :)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2008, 10:14:29 PM »
^Thanks for the clarification. Still though, while it may increase line speed a hint, I'd prefer they just let us risk having our belongings stolen. If they ever did move in the direction of using external lockers for rides, I hope they come up with a more sensible solution than making us pay $1 every time we want to ride something like at other parks. Being the Herschends though, I'm sure they've already been over this issue a gazillion times, and they won't disappoint us.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2008, 10:45:54 PM »
Maybe they could have some sort of "item check" similar to a "coat check" where they have lockers, but it's behind a desk or something manned by an employee. Have one per "land" of SDC (aka Hill Street, the Landing, Riverfront, etc.), so that people can check in their stuff before heading for the rides in that one area instead of using a new locker every time they go to a ride.

Thanks for the info, SDC Citizen. You are one of the many people that I envy, being an employee of the park.

~ "Becky" Joy ~

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2008, 04:54:55 PM »
I just talked to Ed at SDC.  He called to let me know about the cubbies....  He said that they had several reasons that they did away with them.  One of them is because they had a hard time getting people to give up their items and it was slowing down the ride.  He also said that one reason was that no one was using the pay lockers.  Now they have moved them right by the entrance.  He also said that now they will have a person at the entrance to the ride to tell everyone they need to rent a locker or leave their things with someone.  I told him that I did not like the way this went down.  He asked me for any suggestions that would make it so people could take things on that ride.  I asked him if they could have bags that they could give the rider to put their stuff in.  He said that he would ask the ride sup..  He was very nice.  I appreated that they called me back like they said they would.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

sdcforever

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2008, 06:12:37 PM »
^I was also contacted by someone, John from Attractions.  He was very nice.  He said much of what Ed told you, oklaSDCfan.  A couple highlights are that he said they're trying to find better, more convenient, and more efficient ways for visitors to store their belongings on the rides.  He also mentioned that there are no plans to replace the unsecured storage bins throughout the park with lockers.  He said he will also email me, so I'll let you know if there's anything else in the email worth mentioning.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2008, 07:00:04 PM »
^Ah that's great to hear - not only are the other cubbies safe, but they're researching a better system. I'll be eager to see what they come up with, though most of the time the plain old cubby system works well enough from what I can see. The system mentioned earlier where riders put belongings in a container near their seat could work theoretically, but how much different would that be from the current system? Plus, some belongings can get mashed from the forces, and the containers could become germ-ridden and nasty. We'll just see what happens.

sdcforever

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2008, 10:56:14 AM »
^If they put containers on the rides they'd have to make sure they were air tight (to keep water and other elements from getting in) but also extremely secure, especially on the more extreme rides.  It would be a nightmare for SDC if something valuable tumbled out of a container on Wildfire or Powderkeg, for example!

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2008, 01:26:32 PM »
Well, on my trip yesterday, I noticed lockers EVERYWHERE. Pretty much every ride has lockers by them now. The only issue I had was that the lockers at a couple rides were WAY too small to hold much more than a wallet and sunglasses. American Plunge and Thunderation were the ones with those size lockers; Lost River and Powderkeg had very decent sized lockers--we fit a whole backpack into Lost River's. I'd say that they need to upgrade the size of the lockers at the Plunge and TnT, and that'd be a good start.

They did have someone standing in the queue for Lost River making sure that people had put their stuff in lockers. And they no longer allow camcorders on Thunderation (I had taken my mom's with me back in '06 and got some good on-ride footage; I was hoping yesterday to get of the Gumbo Gang campsite).

~ "Becky" Joy ~

sdcforever

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2008, 02:41:18 PM »
Well, on my trip yesterday, I noticed lockers EVERYWHERE. Pretty much every ride has lockers by them now. The only issue I had was that the lockers at a couple rides were WAY too small to hold much more than a wallet and sunglasses. American Plunge and Thunderation were the ones with those size lockers; Lost River and Powderkeg had very decent sized lockers--we fit a whole backpack into Lost River's. I'd say that they need to upgrade the size of the lockers at the Plunge and TnT, and that'd be a good start.

They did have someone standing in the queue for Lost River making sure that people had put their stuff in lockers. And they no longer allow camcorders on Thunderation (I had taken my mom's with me back in '06 and got some good on-ride footage; I was hoping yesterday to get of the Gumbo Gang campsite).

~ "Becky" Joy ~

Were they 50 cent per entry lockers (50 cents to open and put stuff in and 50 cents to open and get stuff out)?  Also, did they still have the unsecured storage bins at the rides that had the lockers out front (besides Lost River)?

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2008, 03:31:18 PM »
Nope, not 50-cents per entry. Empty lockers are unlocked and have a little orange key with a black strap stuck in. You put your stuff in the locker, put in the two quarters, close the door, then turn the key to the right and pull it out. When you want to get back into the locker, you just use the key to open it up. It'll cost another 50-cents if you want to lock the locker again.

Yes, the cubbies were present at all the rides (well, can't say whether the Plunge did, 'cause it was closed when we were in that area).

I kinda like the cubbie system they have at, I believe, Patriot. Where it's a double-sized cubbie with a plastic door that the employees slide to cover the items of the people who are currently on the ride. Keeps people from grabbing other people's stuff when more than one train is being used.

~ "Becky" Joy ~

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2008, 06:45:53 PM »
I kinda like the cubbie system they have at, I believe, Patriot. Where it's a double-sized cubbie with a plastic door that the employees slide to cover the items of the people who are currently on the ride. Keeps people from grabbing other people's stuff when more than one train is being used.

~ "Becky" Joy ~

That sounds like a really good idea! I guess I didn't notice that when I was at Worlds of Fun last.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

sdcforever

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2008, 08:45:50 AM »
This locker system isn't too bad.  If you get a decent sized locker at Lost River or Powder Keg you can put your stuff in it for the whole day and get it out when you're ready to leave and it'll only cost you 50 cents.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2008, 05:44:46 PM »
The crown jewel of SDC is their christian principles and knowing that most of their guests are families, many with young children.  It cost a fortune to take a family to an amusement park for the day.  I hope they keep this in mind when making changes.  I can't think of a better place to get the most bang for your buck and feel that your family is safe and happy than inside the confounds of SDC.  Our family members that that ride the water rides usually wear nylon gym shorts because they dry so quickly.

sdcforever

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2008, 10:55:14 AM »
^SDC is usually pretty good at keeping their visitors' interests at heart.  If you've got a camera (or something similar of great value) and you can't leave it with a non-rider a 50 cent locker is the best bet, IMO.  They're also leaving the unsecured storage bins on the other rides (just not the Lost River), so it looks like they will still be available.