Author Topic: How's Celebration City Doing?  (Read 20461 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: How's Celebration City Doing?
« Reply #45 on: June 06, 2008, 10:44:04 AM »
I know there are exceptions, but CC feels more like a traveling amusement park that anchored its rides and carnival games.  There are some great theming elements and it's worth going to especially if you can find some free tickets somewhere.

And - you guys aren't annoyed by the basketballs at SDC?  They are my number one pet peeve!  The noise wreaks havoc with the atmosphere - even in the Exposition area - and I just want to grab one and kick it into Echo Hollow whenever some kid starts his bouncing.  Besides that, the balls are decorated with team names that probably didn't exist in the 1880s - at the very least, they should have SDC logos on them, and maybe team names like "The American Plunge Daredevils" or "The Wildfire Wildcats".  Or how about "Dugan's Divers" or "The Marvel Cave Marvels"?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 06, 2008, 03:15:37 PM »
^ I've never experienced a bouncing basketball at SDC and I hope I never do. It's kind of upsetting that there are games with prizes like that there. It would be neat if the prizes were toys kids played with in the 1800's. I haven't seen the games at SDC. Are they only in the Exposition area?

I suppose we're getting a little off topic. Sorry to steer us off track.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 03:17:37 PM by sonthew »

Dukefan

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 06, 2008, 04:41:52 PM »
^ I've never experienced a bouncing basketball at SDC and I hope I never do. It's kind of upsetting that there are games with prizes like that there. It would be neat if the prizes were toys kids played with in the 1800's.

A little more OT, but I thought I would mention Dollywood has bouncing basketballs now.  It's not quite on the extreme level of what you see at other parks, but they certainly have a presence.  It really annoys me that the games department or whoever decided to introduce them was just so ignorant and didn't take into account how they would effect the atmosphere of the park.  It's like they went to Six Flags and said, "Hey, they are making money off of this, why don't we do it?".

The simple solution would be to hand the basketballs out deflated.  (I believe that's actually what they use to do up until last season or so)

I hope it doesn't get to the point that they are just everywhere, like at SF.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 04:58:54 PM by Dukefan »

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2008, 04:40:16 PM »
^ I try my hardest to avoid games at amusement parks. The toys themselves seem to be just as disturbing as the game workers. At Six Flags there was a kid who I swear followed me around the park the entire day bouncing his basketball. All I could think was, this would never happen at a Herschend establishment. I'm glad to hear this doesn't happen at CC. That City Hopper pass seems to be a good deal. Does your family live close enough to go frequently?

We live close enough to get there pretty often.  It makes for some pretty good vacationing over the summer.  The kids love it, and there is so much to do at both parks that we end up getting our money's worth out of the passes.  There is going to be a lot more to do when the kids get old enough to ride the Ozark Wildcat and similar rides.

The games at Celebration City seem to only have the stuffed animals.  We always pass those things on by as there is too much to do to throw balls at bottles and baskets.  We figure we can do that at home much more cheaply. ;D 

SDC forever-  We went to the old Branson USA with our nephews.  We didn't ride anything but there were quite a few rides (30 in all I think).  I remember it being eerily empty with ride ops running three or more rides. :o 

When my wife and I were first married we walked around Mutton Hollow and video taped a lot of it.  I can't find the tape for the life of me, but we have seen that little patch of land morph quite a little bit.  It may not be done yet!

sdcforever

« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2008, 06:58:57 AM »
SDC forever-  We went to the old Branson USA with our nephews.  We didn't ride anything but there were quite a few rides (30 in all I think).  I remember it being eerily empty with ride ops running three or more rides. :o 

When my wife and I were first married we walked around Mutton Hollow and video taped a lot of it.  I can't find the tape for the life of me, but we have seen that little patch of land morph quite a little bit.  It may not be done yet!

All the times we went to Branson USA it was really empty as well.  There were a lot of rides, and it was so empty that we could ride even the big rides (coasters, etc.) multiple times in a row without getting back in line.

We enjoyed going to Mutton Hollow too.  I think I have some pictures in an old photo album somewhere, but no video.

I think CC will change some more as well.  I agree with you; that piece of land isn't done morphing yet.

jnorman35

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 09, 2008, 09:39:55 AM »
My family and I are going to Branson next week for the first time. We are taking my parents and have  3 children( 8,5, and 2). We are going to silver dollar city for sure and will do one more park. Do you guys recommend white water or celebration city. Initially I'm thinking water park for something different. Alspo with parents and kids how are the bungalows at white water; I was thinking of getting one for the day if we go there.

sdcforever

« Reply #51 on: June 09, 2008, 04:19:32 PM »
^It all depends on how long you will stay.  You could spend a day at either CC or WW.  If you're looking for something different, I recommend WW.  If you think your parents might tire out early at SDC, then you could hit CC in the same day for a more relaxed atmosphere (you could stay past dark at CC too).  If you think your group can spend a day at SDC, then I recommend hitting WW on a different day.  Your group could split up for a while and each do what they want to do.

I would recommend a cabana (I assume that's what you mean when you say bungalow) if your family and/or your parents would like some privacy and comfort.  It's pricey (80 to 100 dollars for a day), but it does have a TV and a few other amenities (like a ceiling fan).  If you think you could relax just on a reclining lawn chair then save your money.  Those are plentiful! :) 

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 02, 2008, 11:39:18 PM »
I didn't want to start a new thread for this but, I nearly rode Ozark Wildcat solo today. :o  The family went to the sprinklers for the kids soon after the park opened today and I saw the "Cat" running.  I strolled over for a ride and walked on.  It was really odd to sit in the back car and realize that no one else was on it.  I was really hoping for some more people to get on because it was oddly unsettling to be the only one, as I didn't want them to run it around the track just for me.  The ride ops were really nice though.  Luckily a few people came and sat up front.  Later in the day the park had a pretty good crowd, but it was weird for a little while to see so few people. 

Also had my first experience with unfriendly ride ops in one of the kiddy sections.  There were a couple of young European girls who seemed almost annoyed with the kids that were riding (not just my kids, but all of the kids that were riding).  My kids always thank the ride ops after they get off of the rides and the girls would just look at them with disdain.  They were so laughably annoyed that it almost reminded you of a bad Saturday Night Live skit.  The ride ops are usually really nice, and everyone else in the park was great.  I always wonder why they would choose to work in a theme park if they really don't want to be there.  There was an older gentleman earlier working one of the kiddy rides and he was excellent.  He would high five the kids and really seemed to be having fun with them.

All in all it was a great day.  The kids really like this park.

« Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 11:41:07 PM by Hatfield McCoy »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #53 on: July 03, 2008, 12:29:55 AM »
For some reason they have a lot more "European" workers working at Celebration City then the other two parks.  With some, I think it is a cultural barrier that causes them to be so "disconnected" that they appear to not care... and then others just do not get "it".

Whatever.

Celebration City is doing all right attendance-wise.  The new Roaring Falls has helped some with the overall attendance lag that all Branson parks have been feeling this year due to the gas-woes.  The thing that CC has going for it is the fact that it is cheaper to go to then SDC, so some of the more "tight pocket book" families are opting to go there instead of SDC.  The bad part about that is, you are seeing a lot more "Six Flags St. Louis style crowds" -- which include those who have to be SEEN by everyone and will make a scene to be SEEN, if you know what I mean without spelling it out completely.
SWOOSH

DocSpeleo

« Reply #54 on: July 03, 2008, 10:12:22 AM »
There is an international student exchange program... during kids fest every year.  SDC has them as well, but most of them end up in the food dept or behind the scenes because of the interactions with guests.  Kodak has nearly doubled their employees with international workers during this time.  CC gets way more than their fair share and they are in Ride Ops positions over there.  I've not had any rude trips there though.  I speak Russian so I throw out a phrase or two and they are happy to hear their native tongue... alot of the workers are from the Former Soviet Union or it's break away countries.

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 04, 2008, 12:13:16 AM »
Yeah, I consider the language barrier, and always give them the benefit of the doubt, but a little kid smiling at you and saying thank you would seem to be internationally understood.  Not a big deal, just an observation.  I could really care less.  I just noticed it a little more since it happened to be kids just having the time of their lives that  interupted their icey trance.  Ninety Nine percent of the time the foreign students are actually really charming.  I also understand that they don't have to be back to school as early as U.S. students, so it makes them an attractive hire.