Author Topic: Where do you stay when you go to Branson?  (Read 32989 times)

DalesDaMan3

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
Re: Where do you stay when you go to Branson?
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2010, 06:19:09 PM »
Does anyone else stay at the Twelve Oaks Inn? You can get the Best deal off of their site!!! Alot cheaper than the travel sites.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2010, 06:47:08 PM »
The Ramada by Dixie Stampede is a great value.  The free hot breakfast buffet alone is worth staying there again. 

Avoid Econo Lodge behind Grand Palace.  The Residence Inn down there is nice.  Radisson is amazing there near Grand Palace.  HoJo near Starlight is fine, but breakfast could use help.  Best Western near Soji is nice, the breakfast area is really small.  Days Inn behind Jim Stafford / Duttons is a dump.  The Fairfield near Walgreens is very nice.  The Orange Blossom Inn near Soji is ok - grandparents like to stay there.

SWOOSH

7OA

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2010, 08:58:35 PM »
We normally stay at Whispering Hills. I didn't go this summer since CC, my favorite, was gone. WH has great service and great people...after a somewhat late night at CC, we missed the cobbler/ice cream/cookies/etc. window by around 15 min, but they let us have at it anyway. The rooms might not be the best decorated, but it is just a great place to stay. And if you take a Branson vacation correctly, you're not gonna stare at the hotel decorations that much anyway. ;) I'm just not a coaster fan, so I don't appreciate SDC much...it just ends up hurting my ankles in the end.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2010, 09:42:11 AM »
When I lived in Branson, late 70's to mid 80's, I would recommend any motel or hotel. Some were old mom and pop owned placed that were not the most modern, but they were clean, and quiet, and you could have a nice stay just about anywhere. Over the course of the 90's and into this decade, I cannot say the same...the mom and pop places are having such trouble competing with the big boys owned by corporations that the locally owned places are getting very run down, even dirty, from my experience. But they just can't help it. If there is no money coming in, they can't keep up their place. I would recomend the Grand Palace Inn, Raddison, or on the high price end, the Hilton downtown.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

kerrydale

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2010, 03:54:30 PM »
We've stayed at some of the mom-and-pop establishments.  Compared to the chains, I actually like them better.  You can have a conversation with the owners, go to directly to them if you have a concern, and in some cases, admire the pride they take in the operation.  I have loved staying at the Stonewall Motor Court near downtown.  For someone who loves stepping back into the 1880s of SDC, staying at SMC is like going back to the 1950-1960s.  The rooms are a little dated and the bathrooms on the small side, but the service and treatment is second-to-none.  We would stay there all the time if they weren't seasonal (mid-April to mid-December).  We've also stayed at Green Gables Inn (which I also love) and Gretna Inn (which is OK...very friendly, but lacking compared to SMC and GGI).

I do wish, though, that I could've been around to see some of the family-run hotels/motels in their heyday.

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2010, 04:41:02 PM »
The Southern Inn and Golden Arrow owners are such great people and very accommodating. We have enjoyed our experiences at these establishments. We keep going back because of the prices, the ambiance and the owners. It's so nice to stay in Indian Point when going to the city because it can be such a nightmare getting to the city from Branson. We've seen it backed up all the way down the hill toward Branson. 

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2010, 11:22:57 PM »
I stay at the notch condos but if you want to be near the strip  stay at the Mountain Music Inn.  It's behaind the Days Inn off Green Mountain Drive. They have regular motel rooms in one bulilding and in the other building  they have more modern rooms and whirlpool rooms. This building also has a large indoor pool and whirlpool. They served a continential breakfast of ceral and muffins when I last stayed there. It is Just two blocks from white water and CC.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2010, 08:06:23 PM »
When I was a kid back in the day, we used to ALWAYS stay at "The Pine's Inn" which is located just off 76 on 265 south.  Today it is called "Stoneybrook Inn" I believe.  If you wanna step back in time, stay there.  Mom & Pop owned and it is clean, but they don't even have phones in the room!  They kind of have TV, but it's a little "snowy"...LOL.  BUT, it's exactly the way I remember it back in the '70s.  It's still VERY quiet and only a short jaunt to SDC.  I remember as a kid hearing the train whistle and going out of my mind waiting to go.  We seemed to always spend the first day of our trip doing SOTH and letting the moms and sisters shop in Branson....all I wanted to do was go to SDC!!!!!  Now that I think of it....that was pretty cruel what they were doing! LOL

But just like what's already been said here, if you are doing it right, a motel room is just a place to shower and sleep.  Well, that's what you get at "the old pine's inn".

bthomas

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2010, 11:24:16 PM »
Stayed at Lynina Inn for years.  Became very good friends with the owners.  They would always call around the time that we would visit every month to ask if we needed our same rooms.  Unfortunately the decided to get out of the business and the new owners just aren't the same..they now run a putt-putt golf course.  Less stressfull and gives them more free time they say.

Have been staying at the Peach Tree Inn....very nice...clean rooms.. and great convenient location.

This year will be staying at Deer Run near SDC.  Plan on making a number of trips this year just for SDC, so this location should be great.

Kriddels

• "Don't get to close to the NITRO!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2010, 02:50:07 AM »
Always stay at the The Wilderness since it use to be Silver Dollar City Campground. Love to camp. There's nothing better to me. :D
"God must of been plum tuckered out after working on these here hills"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2010, 08:56:52 AM »
Speaking of the Wilderness...has anyone ever stayed in the cabins there, and is it a good experience? I've wanted to do so, but the price has held me back.  I can say this...College of the Ozarks has a limited number of rooms. They have a hotel management course of study, and operate in two buildings on campus. Traditional hotel rooms are located on the top floor of their student center building, and the huge log building at their entrance gate has several large, and expensive suites...but they really look nice in the brochure. The rooms are well maintained, the setting is very private and very, very quiet. My wife and I stayed in the traditional hotel rooms above the student center. Some of the furniture in the room was made by students in their woodworking shops. Very, very, nice. Reasonable price. No pool, but the views of campus are good. Plus, I HIGHLY reccomend eating in their dining hall located in the big log building at the campus entrance. The Sunday brunch cannot be beat, anywhere. The students in the food service course of study handle the dining hall. Dress nicely. It's conservative there on campus. Don't hold a kegger in your room...they will toss you out in a second. I'm a former student there, and it was nice to go back to campus and have a place to stay off the strip. Still close enough to everything we wanted to see and do around Branson. Visit the Ralph Foster Museum, Edwards Mill, and the Star School while on campus.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2010, 01:51:55 PM »
We stayed in the original cabin before the new cabins were built, and we loved it.  I think it was for our anniversary in December.  The cabin was decorated for Christmas, and we awoke to snow on the ground.  It was beautiful.  The only problem was that the cabin did not have a bathroom, but we loved it anyway.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2010, 02:02:35 PM »
Other than staying with family, I have been tempted to become a squatter @ Wal Mart after a few late night drives. Who wants to pay $$ for a room you'll only use for 6 hours! I did choose a hot shower and a bed at the riverboat for $35 last year. I am hard pressed to spend more that $60 a night even if I am staying ALL night! We are bargain hunters, and as soon as our property is done, (whenever that darned economy comes back) we will be free of the reservations! If only we could pitch a tent out on table rock where the land is, I'd be there even more!

PastorDon

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2010, 11:35:11 PM »
We have stayed several times at the Old Southern Inn.  Joe and Carol Reimer, who own the place, are so nice, the rooms are always clean and well kept up, and the rates are extremely reasonable.  However, for our trip in June we wanted a little more room, since we're going with my brother's family, so we went with the Tribesman Resort on Indian Point just 2 miles down the road from SDC.  It appears to have great reviews, but I'm asking you SDC fans if anybody has stayed there before, and if so is there anything special we should know? 
In His grip!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2010, 07:33:12 AM »
Tribesman has been on Indian Point for decades. It used to be a family owned and operated place. I'm not up to date on what's happening there, but it always did well in the past from a business standpoint, and I've never heard anything negative about it. Report back to us after your trip and tell us how  you liked it.