Author Topic: Where do you stay when you go to Branson?  (Read 32978 times)

sdcforever

Re: Where do you stay when you go to Branson?
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2008, 12:08:26 PM »
^I've stayed there before, and it was a nice experience.  It's been years, though, so I forgot how close it is to SDC.  Might have to stay there again soon.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2008, 02:18:17 PM »
We've stayed in the past at...

-Econo Lodge (decent)
-Melody Lane (subpar)
-Residence Inn (very nice - great breakfast)
-Days Inn (decent)
-Howard Johnson (very nice)
-Best Western Music City (good rooms - cramped breakfast area)
-Barrington Inn (decent)
-Grand Country Inn (overpriced for what you get)
SWOOSH

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2008, 01:13:29 AM »
I've always stayed in the best western branson Inn which is right next door to SDC...

I stayed there in '98, when it was fairly new. I was very disappointed that the hot tub was out of order (I needed a soak!), but the boys (3 & 7) and I enjoyed a swim in the indoor pool.

SteamFreak

« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2008, 08:23:42 AM »
Well I can tell you, after walking 6+ hours at sdc the hot tub feels pretttty gooood

lovemycondo

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2009, 12:06:30 PM »
Deer Run has sold off the campground. Only the hotel remains. 
Deer Run is so close that you could pretty much walk to the nearest SDC tram pick-up. In fact, it's so close that you can see Lot L from the parking lot of the motel.

But! Deer Run has its own shuttle bus that runs on a regular schedule and takes you straight to the entrance.

Last year was when I stayed at the Deer Run; it was early April, when it was FREEZING outside. When we got there, we found that not only was our room very clean and nice, but the maid had already turned on the heater so that we were greeted with a nice cozily warm room.

We only stayed one night, so we just took our car and parked at the SDC lot, but we did see the bus sitting out there in front of the motel waiting for any passengers, and this was before the park opened. So you can take their shuttle bus and be there just about as early as the gates open.

Deer Run also had a campground, so for warmer days, you can camp out and only spend around $14 a night. That's what we plan to do this summer.

~ "Becky" Joy ~

kerrydale

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2009, 09:30:10 PM »
The last two times we've been we've stayed at the Green Gables Inn on Green Mountain Drive (behind the Andy Williams theater).  We've paid $45 each time (but that was a special that runs only through May 14...after then I think it goes to just over $50).  The rooms are very clean and the staff is great.  It's also away from traffic, which is a plus.

SteamFreak

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2009, 12:20:35 PM »
Anyone know of any campgrounds that are reasonable in the area, I just need a tent site with out all the hook-ups and whatcha-ma-dingys. The cheapest I've found is at table rock state park which is $11. And I like the wilderness with the shuttle and all, but even with a season pass discount it's like $16...for a piece of dirt with a picnic table. Any ideas?

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2009, 05:07:09 PM »
^Yup, that's about the size of it.  We used to stay at the Old Shepherd's Campground across from SotH, but it's been closed for a while (and is for sale - interested?).
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2009, 10:24:35 AM »
^Yup, that's about the size of it.  We used to stay at the Old Shepherd's Campground across from SotH, but it's been closed for a while (and is for sale - interested?).

I wonder if the asking price for that property is too high, as that has been for sale for a long, long time.

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2009, 12:28:41 AM »
I use to stay at the Old Shepard's Campground and the family really enjoyed it. I believe some church organization had bought it and made a lot of changes. I told my wife I would like to have it as a campground again but like you said, there is now telling what the asking price would be and how much you have to put into it to get it back into a working condition. I attempted to venture to into it one time but the road was so bad I didn't get all the way in.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2009, 12:25:12 PM »
I did venture in on two different occasions. The road was pretty bad, but The main lodge, and signs are still there. I would love to have it as a campground again.  I say we pool our money. SDCFans inc!

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2009, 01:13:10 PM »
Sounds good to me.  Is there anyone that knows how much they want for it?
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

robbaldwin78

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2009, 12:32:57 AM »
My wife and I stay at the fairfield inn in branson for 58/night. Not a bad deal at all. We come down several times a month.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2009, 12:57:08 AM »
We had to plan our trip on very short notice. Because of our budget and the size and composition of our group (two parents and three sons, ages 18, 14, 6), I focused on finding a cabin instead of a suite.

I've always enjoyed staying at Kimberling City and avoiding traffic on the strip, so I went with Green Valley Resort. I wasn't quite sure the rates on their page matched the online reservation system, so I called and made the reservation by phone. As it turned out, they did match, but it was very nice talking with Chieko (chee-AY-koh), the very polite owner(?)/operator.

We were very impressed. The cabin was "period", but modernized, and immaculately clean. The grounds were truly park-like; if you like songbirds and bunnies and ducks coming right up to your doorstep, this is the place for you. We stayed in cabin #7 (one queen bedroom, one bedroom with two twins, and one sleeper sofa). This was conveniently right next to the pool and playground, and most of their cabins surround this same area.

The kitchenette had a full sized refrigerator, full size electric range, compact microwave, and a standard drip coffeemaker. Coffee filters, salt & pepper, a full set of dishes and utensils, and more cookware than we could need were all included. There's a park-style charcoal grill at every cabin, and ours included a scraper/brush, grill spatula, and tongs.

Minor nits: no ice trays in the fridge. There was no remote for the TV, but it was only on for about an hour out of our stay. The shower is tiny. The advertised WiFi is free, but the signal doesn't reach most of the cabins (Chieko leaves the office open, and invited us to come down and use the desk at any time). We actually survived two days without internet by sitting at the picnic table and having conversation! If you have a cantenna or something similar, you might be able to get a signal.

Notes: unless we missed it, none of the neighboring resorts have groceries. One (Boomerang) has a "grocery store" consisting of canned meat and crackers; other than that, it's four miles either direction on Route DD for milk or anything other than vending machine sodas. The Branson West Wal-Mart Supercenter and Country Mart are 15 minutes away. Green Valley does have ice available. I didn't see a price, but the box was unlocked, and Chieko seems to rely heavily on the trust system. There is a laundry room consisting of a single coinop washer and dryer.

The Sho-Me Baseball Camp is right next door, but they weren't in session while we were there. I don't know if having dozens of 8-18 year olds in the neighborhood would change things. As baseball fans, we'd have definitely wandered over to watch if they'd been in session.

Oh, and for budget, the total for two nights, with tax and the extra person charge, was $221 and change. We'd have needed two rooms or a suite at a hotel/motel, so we came out money ahead by renting the cabin. We enjoyed nice home-cooked meals every night, instead of having to eat out, so that's more savings.

I hope to be back there in the fall.

saloongal

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2009, 08:22:34 AM »
^Thanks for the link.  We are looking into that for our fall trip with the WHOLE family. 

Other than the blackberry, it sounds like a great trip!
"Children, like fruit, are often sweetest just before they turn bad"