Author Topic: Your Worst SDC experience  (Read 29240 times)

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
Re: Your Worst SDC experience
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2009, 06:22:35 PM »
Wow, that day is interesting to me. Aunt June from the Candy Shop has told me stories. I just can't imagine something like that happening.

SteamFreak

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2009, 10:33:36 PM »
Is that the story I think it is, any details?

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2009, 11:05:16 PM »
My WORST SDC experience is when I have to go home at the end of the day.
I hate having to leave SDC and go back home.
SWOOSH

SteamFreak

« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2009, 08:20:06 AM »
Yeah I hate seeing the tram coming from the parking lot  :'(

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2009, 10:01:30 AM »
The worst day in the park for me was when we would make black licorice flavored hard candy in the basement of the candy factory.  June had to warn me about a day in advance or I would have to go home sick...ugh.

Otherwise, I've experienced downtimes, crowds and the general unpleasantness of the great Ozark thunder storm...but the great thing about SDC is the fact that you can escape to almost anywhere and just people watch if that happens and then all becomes right with the world.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2009, 10:03:03 AM »
Leaving stinks! I think that is the worst part of every trip. I played hooky from my duties here in StL one day, and told everyone I was doing something important (Fiance, mom, dad all included) LEft @ 7am, and spent from 11am-6pm in the park, then drove back. Returned @ 11pm physically exhausted from the 8 hours of driving, but mentally refreshed. No one ever knew! I needed some ME time! but all day knowing I still had 4 hours of driving in store for me made me REALLY, REALLY not want to leave.

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2009, 01:30:07 AM »
My family and are getting to load onto the green tram in C parking lot.  We are the first people to the little loading area, but by the time the tram comes there is a pretty big crowd.  Usually when it is like this we don't mind to just walk, but I figured we were at the front so I guess we will get on.  I always marvel at people looking like an Oklahoma Sooner dashing for their land claim when it comes to loading time.  We always take our time and let others ahead of us...always.  My kids are 3 and 5, but are taught good manners to the point of exhaustion.  As we walked to the tram it was comical that even though we were the first in line we were probably not going to get on because of the mad dash everyone was making.  It looked like the chaos during the sinking scene of the movie "Titanic".  Finally we came to a tram cart that only  had a man seated and we started to board.  Out of the corner of my eye, I see an elderly couple struggling to get on and tell them to get on first.  Then another couple was having difficulty during the melee', so we let them on also.  Then my family and I boarded.  Enjoying the day with our little munchkins and talking to the very appreciative elderly people across the aisle we headed on our way.

Just then behind us I keep hearing a woman ranting and raving.  Apparently I wasn't aware that she was the queen of England and the seats we eventually occupied were hers, and it was her husband who had broke from his family in his panic filled quest to get a seat that we sat next too.  At first I thought she was mad at him, which she probably was, as she railed on someone.  Finally I realized it was me and my family that she was furious with over the seats.  We had no idea that the man seated was her husband or quite frankly she would have been sitting there even if we would have had to walk, because that is the way I want to raise my kids.  She rails on me and my family the whole way, in that cowardly just loud enough for us to hear sort of way, all the way to the gate.  The more she thought we wouldn't say anything the louder she got.  Finally just before we were told to go ashore she tells her daughter, "see those people", there are some really bad people in this world, and those are some of the worst.  That was it, call me what you will, but leave my kids/family alone.  As usual with these kind of people, she had mistaken kindness for weakness, but the look of shock on her and her husbands face when I spun and faced her as she exited the tram was so comical in retrospect.  I told her, "Lady, would you please shut up, I can only bear fools for so long, and now I'm done! I don't know you or your husband, and since I am not Miss Cleo, I didn't realize he had other family members left behind."  The funny part is her husband glared at her and shouted for her "not to say a word".  This is extremely out of character for me, and try as I may it tainted the first hour or so of our trip.  I bet in the end it probably ruined her husband's also for side'un with the enemy.  Of course the way she was acting he probably wasn't used to having a good time anyway.

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2009, 02:03:13 PM »
I always feel sorry for the husband or wife that has to be married to a person like that. I always want to say, “Your at a theme park just have fun!” I have been screamed at on several occasions, it’s usually over someone having to leave their purse or bag behind. My family thinks I am crazy for working at a theme park. I don’t know I love it. Maybe when I graduate college I can get one of those real jobs they talk about.

Steamfreak someone on Wikipedia posted the FITH information. I think that is what you were asking.

7OA

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2009, 04:53:10 PM »
I notice it's getting dark towards the lake. I tell my mom. She asks an employee, and he says, "It's probably just the lake." About 15 minutes later, we were under a pretty strong storm. We took cover in the barbecue place, only to find the only part we could stand in was under a net. We decided to eat, and our food was soaked. We didn't have to leave, but many of the rides were shut down long after the storm.

Lo and behold, we only packed some t-shirts and shorts, and this storm came with a cold front. On the way to the car, we were freezing our butts off, and the car was always just too cold. Meh.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2009, 05:41:45 PM »
Don't go into the "Real World" Copper..stay there as long as you can! It is not all it is cracked up to be out here! I wish I could trade you! But people say the same things about me being crazy because I chose to be a teacher!

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2009, 06:04:12 PM »
^^Copper:  "Maybe when I graduate college I can get one of those real jobs they talk about."

"REAL JOB????!!!!!!"   Perish the thought!

I've never had much luck with real jobs....

I once worked in a brassiere factory.  It fell flat.

I once was a carpenter....til I got board.

I once worked in a donut shop.  It went in the hole.

I once was a singer.  They told me to sing tenor           twelve miles away.

But then...I got a job as a Pilot.

I had to pile it here and pile it there.  Ba-dum-bump!  

No sir!  No real job for me.  My worse day here was still better than any other job I've had.
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

bobber620

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2009, 12:45:35 PM »
i can't remember the exact date, i'm pretty sure it was the late 80's. it was before they started putting out the "if you come on this day your going to probably be miserable cause we are going to be really busy so pick another day or your on your own" disclaimer. it was a saturday on memorial day weekend. cars were backed up to springfield( ok maybe not that far maybe it was ozark)anyway we had to park in a farmers field (parking lot z sublot z) a good 2 or three miles from the existing lots and be bussed in on rented school buses from the Branson school district. as you can guess the park was packed, if there was a fire marshals law on the number of people allowed on site they probably broke the law that day. i would akin it to the ol' elbows and a---oles adage and say that there were more a---oles than elbows that day as there was absolutely no room to walk and people were getting on each others nerves due to whinning kids(including my 3 brothers and myself) and the general lack of availible things to do because everything was full or had lines that would not shrink even if someone yelled fire(cause by thunder it took us this long to get here and we ain't leaving until we ride this darn thing so just quit whinning that you have to go to the bathroom or that your hungry cause there are lines there too) needless to say we never tried memorial day weekend again
KANSAS CERTIFIED EMT, AND FRIEND TO THE PARK FOREVER

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2009, 01:12:58 PM »
I always say my worst day in SDC beats my Best day at home. And I stick to it. I try to not let negative people bother me and ruin it for me. It has worked for 28 years!

bobber620

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2009, 01:20:40 PM »
i would have to agree with you on that, even if it is just one day away from the real world it's worth the trip
KANSAS CERTIFIED EMT, AND FRIEND TO THE PARK FOREVER

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2009, 11:11:06 PM »
...As usual with these kind of people, she had mistaken kindness for weakness, but the look of shock on her and her husbands face when I spun and faced her as she exited the tram was so comical in retrospect.  I told her, "Lady, would you please shut up, I can only bear fools for so long, and now I'm done! I don't know you or your husband, and since I am not Miss Cleo, I didn't realize he had other family members left behind."  The funny part is her husband glared at her and shouted for her "not to say a word".

I'm sure her husband is all too aware of what he married, and has been for years. He was grateful to you for shutting her down, since he didn't dare (and I'm sure he suffered for it later).

Once when I took my boys to McDonald's (a decade ago, when they were about 8 & 3), there were some hooligans there with their grandparents. Several of them were way too big for the Playland, and were running wild, climbing the outside of the structure, bulldozing toddlers, slamming into and off of everything, basically acting like thuglets who had never been taught that the real world was not Mortal Kombat and WCW.

One other father and I got onto them, hard, not putting up with that crap. The grandparents just tucked their chins, embarrassed, but didn't say anything. Even the other parents, whose kids were being bullied, were afraid to say anything. One mother quietly mouthed a silent "thank you" to me.

I am unfailingly polite and don't hesitate to allow others to go ahead when there is some doubt. But like you, I don't suffer insults to or abuse of my family.

I'm a correctional officer. I can put up with a lot of verbal abuse, with a grin. But there is a line, and I won't allow it to be crossed.

I don't use profanity routinely, but is a useful tool for shocking idiots when necessary. I once had a knucklehead at work on the verge of inciting a riot, something he had been working on all day while I maintained my usual low-key demeanor. He reached my tripping point, where I responded with a brief and loud explanation of exactly why we would not be doing things his way. There may have been a f-bomb or two, and the food slot on his cell door may or may not have gotten slammed shut by a well-placed boot.

The entire range, which previously had been laughing and egging him on, was suddenly pin-drop quiet. Some seconds passed (seemed like five minutes of silence), then waaaay down the hall a voice rang out: "Dayummmm, dude! You pissed Craig off, you really screwed up!"

End of problem.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2009, 11:12:46 PM by KBCraig »