Author Topic: Your Attraction Ideas  (Read 286105 times)

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: Your Attraction Ideas
« Reply #330 on: December 22, 2014, 02:10:08 PM »
1) I want my treehouse rebuilt :)
2) All New Diving Bell
3) Please fix American Plunge, and theme it like the old Jim Owens Float trip
4) Figure out a better way to communicate the theme of Fire in the Hole so that people that don't know and / or understand that they have no affiliation whatsoever with the KKK
5) Heap on the Ozark History - Make it as close to a "Living History" Museum/Theme Park as possible.
6) More street shows. More Performers, More improv.

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: December 23, 2014, 02:01:04 PM »
Ok ok.... I hopefully just thought of a show that we would all like to see just now. There used to be a small stage in midtown that now has a wagon on it. Back in the 1800s and 1900s there were a lot of traveling salesmen. Some selling tonic, the were called Medicine Men, and some were more like Rainmakers. I looked this up. I heard there used to be something like this in SDC a long time ago. The medicine man usually said, "Come one, come all! I have just invented a magic tonic that can cure any ailment and it will make you live longer." This sounds like a really good character and show i want to see. It would be very short. He isnt really selling anything and its just a small, brown bottle of water.

They can also do a Rainmaker like show where he has 1 kid put 1 foot in a round metal pan on the ground and a stick in her hand. He tells her to hold it high and say a chant like, Ooya Ooya Rain come here today! Then he flips a switch behind a curtain in the wagon and water comes out of 2 sprinklers on top of the wagon.

There should be a halloween festival with a scary ride or haunted house. During this festival, there should be a casket in place of the wagon. He says there is a 6 bedroom, 3 bath house underground and the casket is the elevator. He chooses a man to go inside and he closes the door. Once he does a hooded figure opens the back door and taps him on the shoulder to switch places. He then asks are you done looking yet and tells everyone to come up close. He opens the door and the hooded figure jumps out, scaring everyone. Then he goes back inside, closes the door, switches places with the man, the man comes back out, and the hooded figure stays behind the casket where he cant be seen.

I know not all of you will agree with the halloween part but the Rainmaker and medicine man show are very good ideas because they were very popular back then. Btw, i do TRY to stick with the theme all the time but i want to see the things come back that i grew up with. I also think they can add stuff to the park that would make it a lot better, and im tired of them trying to change the theme to a cowboy theme. The old theme is not bad but if you want to change it, dont change it to a cowboy theme.

runner1960

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: December 23, 2014, 02:09:21 PM »
Ok ok.... I hopefully just thought of a show that we would all like to see just now. There used to be a small stage in midtown that now has a wagon on it. Back in the 1800s and 1900s there were a lot of traveling salesmen. Some selling tonic, the were called Medicine Men, and some were more like Rainmakers. I looked this up. I heard there used to be something like this in SDC a long time ago. The medicine man usually said, "Come one, come all! I have just invented a magic tonic that can cure any ailment and it will make you live longer." This sounds like a really good character and show i want to see. It would be very short. He isnt really selling anything and its just a small, brown bottle of water.

They can also do a Rainmaker like show where he has 1 kid put 1 foot in a round metal pan on the ground and a stick in her hand. He tells her to hold it high and say a chant like, Ooya Ooya Rain come here today! Then he flips a switch behind a curtain in the wagon and water comes out of 2 sprinklers on top of the wagon.

There should be a halloween festival with a scary ride or haunted house. During this festival, there should be a casket in place of the wagon. He says there is a 6 bedroom, 3 bath house underground and the casket is the elevator. He chooses a man to go inside and he closes the door. Once he does a hooded figure opens the back door and taps him on the shoulder to switch places. He then asks are you done looking yet and tells everyone to come up close. He opens the door and the hooded figure jumps out, scaring everyone. Then he goes back inside, closes the door, switches places with the man, the man comes back out, and the hooded figure stays behind the casket where he cant be seen.

I know not all of you will agree with the halloween part but the Rainmaker and medicine man show are very good ideas because they were very popular back then. Btw, i do TRY to stick with the theme all the time but i want to see the things come back that i grew up with. I also think they can add stuff to the park that would make it a lot better, and im tired of them trying to change the theme to a cowboy theme. The old theme is not bad but if you want to change it, dont change it to a cowboy theme.

SDC used to have a rainmaker show a long time ago. I do not ever recall a medicine  man show, but it is a good idea. The trouble with this is one big word MONEY. Where do you put your money to get a return on your investment. Street shows take a lot of full time employees to do. Not sure if they would pull the new revenue to offset the cost. I would love to see them unfortunately it is a new era.

Junior, too!

• Cave Guide
  • Employed at SDC from 1978 thru 1984
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: December 23, 2014, 03:36:22 PM »
There was a medicine show in the late 60s to mid 70s. If you catch the Beverly Hillbillies at SDC episodes, one has Granny on the medicine wagon doing a bit.  The Rainmaker was on park in the 70s 80s, and early 90s. The medicine show sold candy medicine, but the last year or two that became politically incorrect. The medicine wagon moved to SDC Tennessee for many years and was used in some capacity. In recent years It was used as a stage next to the SDC Missouri candle shop.
"Abandon ship! Women and Juniors first!"

Hollwood

« Reply #334 on: December 23, 2014, 06:07:55 PM »
Pete Herschend sang on the stage in the 60's as part of the Medicine Wagon Quartet.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #335 on: December 23, 2014, 07:31:55 PM »
Not long ago they actually brought back a medicine wagon show. It was on the little stage next to the candle shop. I think it was around 2008-2009. I think the problem with it was a bad location and the fact that people didn't know about it or why it was worth seeing.

Runner, I think there's definitely a ROI on these types of activities within the park. Anything that makes the place special helps people feel that they are getting their money's worth and encourages them to tell others about the park. It has to be marketed correctly though. This type of stuff needs to get brought back into the advertised focus of the park.

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: December 24, 2014, 06:25:27 PM »
That is exactly what i mean. Thank you! It should be in the Pathfinder because it is a show. People need to know about it so they can see it. I think they would probably put it down near where they put the street shows, under the Echo Hollow Show, in Park Happenings.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 06:26:29 PM by Laroy »

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
to be merged
« Reply #337 on: March 13, 2015, 10:47:08 PM »
Doing halloween is a terrible idea.  Number one, part of the allure of SDC is the Christian atmosphere and emphasis.  Halloween does not fit in to this at all.  Many Christians do not celebrate Halloween and this will certainly hurt them.  Number two, look at the customer they target.  While it is always a family park, you see so many older people there during the fall.  You take away the fall fest, you take away all of that money.  And those people spend money and lots of it.  How would you market a Halloween festival to a bus full of seventy year olds? 

You know the amazing thing is that you don't have to ostracize both young and old. Last I looked my pastor still takes my check on Sundays and my kids haven't been kicked out yet for being Rocket Raccoon and Katniss.

Are they hurt when they play all that modern country music full of innuendo and stuff during Moonlight Madness. See, I'm a pretty conservative guy but come on. It reminds me of when my Brother In Law wouldn't have anything to do with Disney based on religious ground, amazing after child three you'd never had know that. No one is saying take away the fall fest for the Blue Hairs but my 12 and 11 year old aint' feeling the arts and crafts either.

What's that bumber sticker

Co-exist

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
to be merged
« Reply #338 on: March 14, 2015, 09:30:09 AM »
Ok ok. When it comes to shows, any show that doesnt play music, is good. Or if they have their own recorded music, like the Harlem Globetrotters, or David Willey. The saloon show is half-good. All the rest is crap because it is all stupid country! And during moonlight madness, they play it loudly all over the park! Nobody wants to hear it! Stop annoying people with it! They are suppost to play something good like Oldies, or if you want to play country, it has to be in a mix! This is common sense! Oldies are closer to 1880 than anything else! Why did they change? Also Dickens is good, and I hope I get to see my friend Chris Stanley. I wish we had a good Wild West show like Frontier City. Its a western park but they still play good Rock Music in the show. I dont want to hear all stupid country when im walking around or in line! Thats why im the parks good music entertainment. Also the train show is good too, but I can only hear it half of the time.

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
to be merged
« Reply #339 on: March 14, 2015, 09:38:52 AM »
We could also really use a resort like Dollywood's.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
to be merged
« Reply #340 on: March 14, 2015, 11:10:19 AM »
I'm all for good shows.  I still advocate for a return of the comedy shows in the Playhouse, but most of you don't even remember those.  Many of the venues are sitting unused for most of the season, and are only used for visiting performers in little thrown-together shows that you can see on a local festival stage in a local municipality.

The word is unique, and it should be something for which SDC continues to strive.  No meeting of the decision makers should be without the questions, "How do we make this OURS?  How do we set ourselves apart?  How is our experience different?"  After all, SDC's proclaimed mission is to provide Memories Worth Repeating.  If I can get the same show (or any attraction, for that matter) in any other place, it's not worthy of our beloved City.  If it can be envisioned, crafted, molded, and honed into something special, then Silver Dollar City will continue to be viable, healthy, and stand out as a beacon and example in the tourism world.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
to be merged
« Reply #341 on: March 14, 2015, 11:42:23 AM »
Yes and that cant happen if the choosers of the rides, said no as much as you guys. You need to stop saying no to every ride! There are only about 100 different rides in the world, not including coasters. Most parks already have every ride we have. If you say take out one ride, you might as well take out every ride! So what if we might have rides like other parks! That doesnt matter! If you dont like it, you dont have to come! They choose the rides. We are just trying to help with ideas. STOP SAYING NO TO EVERYTHING! SDC wouldnt be where its at today, without rides! I wouldnt even come, if they didnt have rides. Not everybody can go to other parks! SDC is my disney and they need more rides. So what if other parks have them! It doesnt matter! You can go to parks around the world because most of you are richer than me! Just because you dont want to ride some rides, doesnt mean you can reject every single ride. You have to give it a chance like everyone else.

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
to be merged
« Reply #342 on: March 14, 2015, 11:43:47 AM »
I would like more funny shows. Everybody likes to laugh! We need more of those!

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
to be merged
« Reply #343 on: March 14, 2015, 12:25:23 PM »
Its about 2 things: Money and what the majority wants.

Dewayne

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
to be merged
« Reply #344 on: March 14, 2015, 01:03:33 PM »
You can already see that SDC went away from the 1880 theme when they made the first ride, then the first coaster because they didnt have rides back then. So theyre not sticking to the theme anyway. Since you all keep saying no to all this, then we need another park or something in branson! One with a different theme, more like a regular amusement park so we can all see what riding popular rides is like, in the branson area. Then, we wont need to drive all the way to florida, california, texas, or kansas city. We can experience it in branson. We need another park with a different theme and more modern, popular, regular rides, coasters, and a halloween festival. It was a very bad idea taking CC out, but at least we got the accelerator...so its not all bad...

Also, we need a Tunnel of Love in SDC. Because love was in the air back in 1880. It needs to tell a story of a man meeting a woman, child birth, and growing up. It should be a romantic ride that reminds you both why you married each other. Or maybe some kind of pedal-boats on Lake silver. Some parks have swans. So maybe they can make a different kind of boat.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 01:11:52 PM by Laroy »