Author Topic: Your Attraction Ideas  (Read 286383 times)

Hollwood

Re: Your Attraction Ideas
« Reply #270 on: January 22, 2013, 11:02:37 AM »
I have an on topic response!

I know everybody (including myself) has had many memories of Tom and Hucks Hideaway (the treehouse) but lets face it, with todays's ADA laws, and the fact that it would not be a huge marketing hook, it will never be brought back to life... I think it would be neat to continue in the Mid Town tradition and add a demonstrating craft shop.... With an indoor flat ride! I know... It's hard to imagine, but let me paint you a picture. You take the wooden tops that the street performers sell and turn it into a hands on, decorate your own, hand spun wooden top. In the middle of theis Merch/Craft shop you have a custom themed, park model, Chance Wipeout.

http://www.wildadventures.com/RidesAttractions/Rides/tabid/406/Ride/42/sidewinder/Default.aspx

Interactive crafts, demonstrating craftsmen, and a thrill ride all in a beautiful SDC Building!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #271 on: January 22, 2013, 12:45:45 PM »
Can't help it when I see that avatar of yours.

A Lego Tiger causes you to drunk post? Um, ok
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 05:10:32 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 22, 2013, 12:53:10 PM »

I know everybody (including myself) has had many memories of Tom and Hucks Hideaway (the treehouse) but lets face it, with todays's ADA laws, and the fact that it would not be a huge marketing hook, it will never be brought back to life... I think it would be neat to continue in the Mid Town tradition and add a demonstrating craft shop.... With an indoor flat ride! I know... It's hard to imagine, but let me paint you a picture. You take the wooden tops that the street performers sell and turn it into a hands on, decorate your own, hand spun wooden top. In the middle of theis Merch/Craft shop you have a custom themed, park model, Chance Wipeout.

http://www.wildadventures.com/RidesAttractions/Rides/tabid/406/Ride/42/sidewinder/Default.aspx

Interactive crafts, demonstrating craftsmen, and a thrill ride all in a beautiful SDC Building!

Or an enclosed ride like a gravatron that's themed like a top.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 22, 2013, 01:33:35 PM »

Oooo, YES! A Sidewinder is what I was thinking of when mentioning Cyclone Sam's. And this would be a wonderful theme for it!

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 22, 2013, 01:47:36 PM »
Considering all the hairbrained contraptions that were invented in the pursuit of learning to fly, take a Gerstlauer Sky Fly and theme it to period as some SDC citizens wacky attempt at flight and with it's flying theme add the balloons to the area for a bit of a tamer ride.

An example of the Sky Fly is the Ninja Turtle ride at the Mall of America

Hollwood

« Reply #275 on: January 22, 2013, 02:51:18 PM »

I thought so to Joy! You could take out the light package, and fill those holes with wood looking panels. Put a top...top on top of the ride, and give it a red a green scheme... Finish it off with a que line that wraps around the entire ride, and you have the perfect indoor flat ride that unarguably fits the SDC theme and brings together the three main reasons anyone goes to SDC. Rides, crafts, and family time.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2013, 02:53:10 PM by Hollywood »

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 22, 2013, 03:05:25 PM »
Return of the Diving Bell would be the best yet!

Hollwood

« Reply #277 on: January 22, 2013, 03:52:05 PM »
Could it operate in all weather conditions? Or did it shut down in the lightning?

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 23, 2013, 08:25:08 AM »
I worked at the diving bell, playing "Junior Dugan" from 1979-1984. The diving bell was a simulation attraction, and it was contained completely inside the building that now houses the Lost River. Since the simulators were inside the building, the attraction could operate any day, rain or shine. It did not matter if thunder and lightning were nearby. I only remember a few violent storms in the years that I worked there that resulted in a power outage at the diving bell. The occupied capsules would simple come to rest at a slant on their hydraulic arms, and everything of course went black. When the power came back up, the Junior in the capusle with the group of park guests would have to hit a "recycle" button which reset the film and effects, and within ten minutes, the adventure could begin again...from the start. So, a power outage really ruined the ride, because guests then knew they were not underwater! Belive it or not, the combination of film and sound effects, special effects like water leaks, and the motion of the capsule, convinced many people over the years that they really were on an underwater adventure in a submarine. The attraction, if brought back today with the special effects that now exist...like 3D, and so on, would be fantastic! I'd like to see the diving bell come back, and I'd love it if SDC would let me help them in staging the comeback. I'd leave all sorts of "homage" around the attraction that would tip a hat at the old attraction and the people who worked there. I can dream, can't I?  ;)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 23, 2013, 12:49:51 PM »
A new version of the Diving Bell seems like such a no brained and there's. Spot for it as well considering  the removal a certain water attraction a couple of seasons back. Wtih the City push outward, I wonder if creating another lake has been considered?

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 23, 2013, 05:32:26 PM »
I think if they put a diving bell simulator building on the site of the old Waterboggin, and built a fake "tunnel" with a water feature that allowed for a fake diving bell top like there used to be at the old attraction to pass back and forth in the tunnel, it could be believable enough and would link the new building to the lake. Build the fake tunnel so it appeared that a capsule passed from the building, under the current kiddie playground area, to the lake. Another way to do this could be with the film shown in the simulator. The diving bell could be at the top of a flooded sinkhole, and just sink into a passage that gos to the lake. They could still put a fake diving bell top on the lake edge to make it appear the capusles were in the lake.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 23, 2013, 06:36:14 PM »
I think if they put a diving bell simulator building on the site of the old Waterboggin, and built a fake "tunnel" with a water feature that allowed for a fake diving bell top like there used to be at the old attraction to pass back and forth in the tunnel, it could be believable enough and would link the new building to the lake. Build the fake tunnel so it appeared that a capsule passed from the building, under the current kiddie playground area, to the lake. Another way to do this could be with the film shown in the simulator. The diving bell could be at the top of a flooded sinkhole, and just sink into a passage that gos to the lake. They could still put a fake diving bell top on the lake edge to make it appear the capusles were in the lake.

A great idea!  BRING BACK THE BELL!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #282 on: January 23, 2013, 06:45:29 PM »
I think if they do the Diving Bell it needs to be where Splash Harbor was.  That way it has good visibility across the lake.  You'll have to go through Geyser Gulch to get to it... Geyser Gulch should probably be in the name somehow.
SWOOSH

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 23, 2013, 09:50:09 PM »
Hey, great idea Swoosh. Whatever works. It would be fun to see the diving bell come back, but I'm not holding my breath. Time marches on. It was a fun 8 years from 77-84, I'm glad I was a part of it all back then.  :) It has been nice over the last few years to hear so many fond memories of the diving bell from forum members. I've cruised some other Internet sites and seen similar positive memories and stories. I'm glad to know that so many people fondly remember the old diving bell. It was a cutting edge attraction for its time.

Gilligan

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 29, 2013, 02:48:27 PM »
I think if they do the Diving Bell it needs to be where Splash Harbor was.  That way it has good visibility across the lake.  You'll have to go through Geyser Gulch to get to it... Geyser Gulch should probably be in the name somehow.

YEAH!  Just bring it back, please!