Author Topic: Ever Get Sick?  (Read 6537 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Ever Get Sick?
« on: June 19, 2010, 09:20:19 PM »
On our visit, this week, the Electrospin was shut down because a girl got sick all over it (Glad I wasn't anywhere around!).  How often do people get sick on the rides?  Or because of the rides?  Or just get sick in general?  Which rides (or foods) are the biggest culprits?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 09:22:59 PM by History Buff »
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Ever Get Sick?
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 09:21:40 PM »
My older daughter sometimes gets queasy on the way to SDC--lol
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 09:23:14 PM by History Buff »

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 09:29:55 PM »
I was on The Giant Swing @ closing time, literally we were the last ones put onto the ride. We couldn't figure out why it took so long to board and get started until I saw the workers giving the universal signs o each other for vomiting.....needless to say I am glad I wasn't in that seat since no cleanup was done....we just up and went on our way with the ride....

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 09:31:32 PM »
Sometimes, on big drops of a coaster, I can feel my stomach rise, but a strong exhale through pursed lips will knock it back down again.
Andymeets1880s

Twinsmom98

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 10:26:30 PM »
I cannot ride the teacups ... on the balloon ride I always had to face forward. 

mbrownx4

• McCoy
  • When can I go back?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2010, 05:38:43 AM »
Twinsmom, yeah the teacups are hard, but I have to do them at least 2 times on a trip.  My wife doesn't want the girls to ride by themselves on it.  So I stare at the center of the car while I spin it.  Then try to get out of the cup with some dignity-everything is still spinning.  I was also volunteered to ride the balloon ride, also a stomach churner for me.  So at the moment a reprieve from the balloons, but I know the cups will be waiting for me when we go this fall.
Vote to end 2020!

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 07:27:47 AM »

It has always been a point of pride that I could battle any ride with ease.
Then came those ding dang teacups.......

I went once, a buddy and I spun that thing as fast as we could ( yes we are in or lower 40's) when we realized what we had done we held a impromptu vomit resistance class on the spot. 
Those things are deadly.
I have been had by a kiddy ride

How-doFolks

• Craftsman
  • Dirt racin' is our Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 09:10:42 AM »
My woman can ride everything. Myself, i have to stay away from the spin'y rides. Electrospin about made me sick the 1st time, i had to keep turn'n my head the direction we was go'n. That was enough for me. I cant even ride Thunderation backwards, its just too much for me.

I dont see too many people get sick of anything at SDC. The stomach rise thing i can handle, PowderKeg & Giant Swing are the best at it. A good loud yell makes it feel so good, its like havin' a ...... :-X well, ya know..   
Live life like it's the last day!

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2010, 01:32:07 PM »
I still challenge everyone who hasn't - go ride the frogs one time, and tell me it isn't the worst, most sickening ride on park.  I can handle anything else, but those stinkin' frogs make me have to clench every time.  Grab a kid to ride with if you're too embarrassed to go alone.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Twinsmom98

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 03:54:33 PM »
I think the older I get the less tolerance I have for rides with spins.  I rode the teacups once with my granddaughter  because the older girls wanted to ride together and failed to include her.  So I toughed it up and just closed my eyes and prayed that it would end soon.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 04:01:26 PM »
From a research background...I have read that children under the age of 2 yrs are immune to motion sickness.

From my perspective I hit the age about 10-15 yrs ago where I went from "there is never enough loops and spins" to the point where "okay lets go into a few shops before the next ride"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 04:11:50 PM »
Of the old school rides available on park during the time I worked there, nothing made me sick. There was enough motion on the diving bell to leave me "moving with a capsule" in my sleep the first two or three days of work each season. Riding the diving bell ten times a day was like riding a bucking broncho over and over again. My old area manager Ron Herschend, once admitted to the Juniors he seldom rode the diving bell because of motion sickness!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 04:19:58 PM »
I have only had 1 ride where I thought "I AM GONNA VOMIT!!" and I had to begin breathing and tightening my stomach thinking I cannot puke on my future in-laws again and again. Worst thing was it was a ride I was so looking forward to: "Back To The Future". I t had been a long hot day, and most of all you are inside a capsule with no concept of the outside environment. Yuck. Now-a-days I even look at the merry go round and I feel it in my head and behind my eyes. I can go up and down and loop hthe loop all day long, but round and round are a no-no!

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 05:06:56 PM »
I never get sick on rides. But there is one ride at SDC that has brought me to the brink: the Regatta. I seriously cannot stomach that ride. I've ridden it twice, and it had the same nauseating effect on me.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2010, 05:29:36 PM »

I forgot about Thunderation backwards, yes that is a no no as well.

5 days till my first trip to Dollywood :)