Author Topic: How's Celebration City Doing?  (Read 20462 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: How's Celebration City Doing?
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2008, 10:45:13 PM »
As we've discussed before though, who wants to risk another 40+ million on a park that barely makes it's way? Whose to say that it will do better when it shows hardly any signs of promise?

The problem with CC is that the goal it was attended to meet can't be achieved at this point in Branson. It was built to be a classy night park along the lines of Riverside park in Denver, but the way families turn in or go to shows in the evenings after a day at SDC has cut this prospect shorter than was anticipated.

I mean, why would the Herschends want to keep building up CC if it's just going to compete with SDC? With it's major purpose gone, a major overhaul into a different kind of attraction really does seem plausible.

Btw, to avoid having to repeat things, we should keep this topic strictly for discussing CC's attendance and such, and the other for discussing the rumor of it being re-built.

CJR

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2008, 11:46:33 PM »
Yeah, I just wanted to add the survey note here too since the topic is "How is CC doing?" and the possibility of it closing/changing is a sign that it is not doing so good (at least from the company's viewpoint.

And the reason I suggest for them to just heavily invest in CC rather than a completely new park is because I think CC can sell if given the real chance and it would probably be able to be done a lot cheaper than a almost complete overhaul.  I also believe if CC and SDC were to compete, it would be similar to the Disney parks and only make the parks better.  If both parks are really worth going to, people will go to them.  I mean, instead of spending a weekend in Branson, it may turn to a week in Branson.  Obviously that would take some time, but I think it could happen.

But yeah, if you would like, we can discuss this in the rumors area (although it's not really a rumor since it was their official survey team conducting it).  I posted it there too so I have no problem talking there.  I just thought this was an answer the question asked.  Either way, if Wild Adventures gets put in, or CC gets a big improvement, I think we're in for a treat and that imo is something to get excited about.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2008, 10:45:29 PM »
They are not going to open a new park in Branson, I'll squash that rumor right now.  Now the integration of animals into CC is very plausible.  Last year was a "test" to see how animals at the park would be received -- and it was very favorable.  It's no secret that HFEC is getting into the Animal field -- buying Aquariums and Butterfly Houses, etc
SWOOSH

Tom

• Hatfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2008, 11:56:12 AM »
Does anyone have any hard core data to prove the premis of this post?  Is CC doing a bad or even slightly negative job? Sure CC is experimenting, but people seem to be showing up for the experiment.  Last year I went on a Tuesday in August and the shows were attended pretty well. The Sea Lion show was packed.  I thought that some things were executed poorly, but my children and I had a pretty good time.  As I have posted before, I have no idea why CC has not milked the Ozarkian Christian Market a little more.  But again, they've done fine.  Name any five-year old under 50-acre park and tell me how its better.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2008, 10:54:59 PM »
^While this season was probably better, it was often noted in the first few years that the Herschends had expected much higher numbers from CC.

I don't have any specific sources, my info on this was garnered from hearing tidbits now and then.

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2008, 12:38:30 PM »
The family and I came back yesterday from a trip to SDC and Celebration City.  I don't know if it is the heat, hills or what, but sometimes I think the family as a whole is beginning to enjoy Celebration City as much or more than SDC.  From the close parking to the less hilly terrain, the atmosphere is much more relaxing.  There is plenty to do for everyone, and the night coolness was very welcomed compared to the muggy afternoon at SDC.  The trees are starting to really develop at Celebration City also making the park really feel established.

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2008, 03:31:20 PM »
^ That's good to hear. Every time I drive by CC I wonder why anyone would want to go there with SDC, such a great park, right around the corner. I hope the HFE continues to achieve what they want to achieve with CC. I'm sure having kids at CC is more enjoyable than at SDC. I admit, I was a pain when my parents wanted to stop and watch demonstrations. All I wanted to do was ride the rides. Are your kids young or old?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 03:33:50 PM by sonthew »

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2008, 04:54:49 PM »
It's nice to hear that the park is maturing. Hopefully in the next few years they'll be able to add a few more shows, a couple more shops, and a few choice rides to really settle out the park, then they can go back to the original plans for the park and really develop it into more of a nighttime park with extensive lighting and cool nighttime events. I still think the original idea can really work, if the park can just get there. Unfortunately, there's probably more money in the short and long run in turning the park into more of a mixed attraction with animals and other things, so we'll just see what happens.

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2008, 07:29:12 PM »
Does the park resemble SDC at all or is it more like a Six Flags park? Do they have a lot of games meant to take all your money?

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2008, 07:33:26 PM »
^I don't know, we've never been. I don't think we'll ever go either just because SDC is so close by and we like it a ton so we just don't think it'd be worth it.
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #40 on: June 05, 2008, 08:23:51 PM »
^^ It doesn't really compare to six flags, or at least any six flags I've been to. CC has all the Herschend charm with a lot more rides involved. It's extremely well themed, though the atmosphere is no where near SDC quality just because of the way the park is so set on rides rather than being an overall experience like SDC.

It is certainly a park for ride lovers still, though there are a few nice shops and some great shows from time to time. The rides themselves are pretty good, but lacking in number. Like I said, the park needs to expand more in every area before it can really make it, but it can make it.

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 05, 2008, 09:05:47 PM »
It does look extremely small for a theme park. I feel exactly the same as you Coaster. I've never wanted to go to CC because I would only think about how much more fun I'd be having at SDC. I just recently went to Six Flags Over TX and thought that same thing. I want to appreciate more than just the rides.

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 06, 2008, 12:11:52 AM »
Sonthew-  Our kids are 2 and 4.  They love both parks, but seem to tire in SDC a little more.  Dodging the crowds with a stroller can be cumbersome at times also.  They have a boardwalk area that is exclusively games but it is much like the Exposition area at SDC.  No one annoys you to play. 

We have the city hopper pass so it isn't an either/or sort of thing.  I can't imagine going to Celebration City exclusively either as we love the theme and atmosphere at SDC, but Celebration City is a nice little park in itself.  The super short lines and smaller crowds are also refreshing, although I am sure that's not what the Herschends want.  We went with friends and were able to easily walk/talk and relax in between rides instead of the single file dodge you do at SDC.  The lazer show is also a great way to stretch out on the lawn and end the night. 

I was surprised to see some of the attractions such as the carousel and Orbiter not operating.  Even with these closed there was still plenty to do for everyone. 

haytater

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 06, 2008, 12:19:07 AM »
^ I try my hardest to avoid games at amusement parks. The toys themselves seem to be just as disturbing as the game workers. At Six Flags there was a kid who I swear followed me around the park the entire day bouncing his basketball. All I could think was, this would never happen at a Herschend establishment. I'm glad to hear this doesn't happen at CC. That City Hopper pass seems to be a good deal. Does your family live close enough to go frequently?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 12:26:54 AM by sonthew »

sdcforever

« Reply #44 on: June 06, 2008, 08:56:15 AM »
I have been to CC a few times and it is a nice little park.  A good change of pace; it seems more relaxed than SDC just because the park, and crowds, are smaller.  I also went when it was Branson USA and that was fun too.

The bouncing basketballs at Six Flags annoy me to no end as well, sonthew!  >:(  I just kept wishing I was at SDC every time I heard the bounce, bounce, bounce of the basketballs.