Author Topic: Disney in Arkansas?  (Read 15875 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Re: Disney in Arkansas?
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2010, 11:17:26 AM »
^Kind of strange, since the Transcontinental Railroad did not cross Missouri and especially not the Branson area.  That would have drastically changed Ozarks history.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2010, 10:09:15 PM »
^^Wow, where'd you find that postcard? You have everything!
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2010, 02:49:28 PM »
^Kind of strange, since the Transcontinental Railroad did not cross Missouri and especially not the Branson area.  That would have drastically changed Ozarks history.

It didn't really cross the whole continent, either.  ;)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2010, 03:22:01 PM »
I pick up things EVERYWHERE...a few on ebay, most at antique stores, estate sales, friends, gifts etc. This one came from a store selling a bit of everything, I tend to gravitate towards paper first, the look towards glass/ceramic etc. There is no date on the reverse-it is unused- but I really wonder what it was to become.

I can only imagine what the park would have said!

"Now lissen' up y'all. Mickey and his kin are a' comin' to tha hills fer a whootin' hollerin' good time. Join Mickey, PLuto and all the other Folks fer a family reunion Ozark style!"

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2010, 03:32:56 PM »
Back in the late 60's and early 70's, Disney own a 20,000 acre ranch in Southeast Missouri near Ellsinore, Pop. 432, which they later sold to an Arab, which was later sold to a group that include one of the University of MO basketball stars.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

crsjrr

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2010, 04:16:07 PM »
WOW, REALLY?  If they own the property, could someone post the county where, check the tax rolls, and if it's true, see how many acres?  I'm sure the number of acres involved would determine if a park would be possible.  Without some sort of proof, just a rumor! 

But imagine the possibilities. There are a number of successful parks in and around Orlando. Couldn't SDC and Disney park compliment each other? Since HFEC has grown to become a entertainment company with properties nationwide, I would think SDC would receive a lot of reinvestment by the company. It would be great for the Branson area, it too could experience a another rebirth of sorts.  Come on Disney!!   

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2010, 06:13:35 PM »
I should have added this at the top of this thread, but there were always rumors during the time I lived in Branson in the 70s and 80s that Disney was gonna buy out SDC and make SDC into "Frontierland" in the new midwest Disneyland park. Never happened, did it? The rumor still pops up every  now and then. In the 90's, I heard the rumor again, and was convinced by the person that told me...a family member...that it was true. I was bummed out for weeks. But again, never happened, did it? I don't know how or why the rumors get started. However, I will stand by what I initially wrote at the top of the thread. Newspaper reports say Disney owns a large tract of land in Benton County, Arkansas between Bentonville and Pea Ridge. What happens with the property is anybody's guess. Maybe they will hang on to it for a while, then sell it. Maybe they will develop it with something. Only time will tell. 
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2010, 08:29:18 PM »
Warehousing?  Printing?  Manufacturing?  Offices to work with WalMart?  Who knows?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2010, 10:45:47 PM »
Northwest Arkansas is a perfect location for a Disney Park, especially since the trend of Disney Parks are now micro parks or vacation destinations based on nature, exisiting infrastructure, etc.....not another Magic Kingdom.    With that being said, I can say with MUCH confidence that there are no plans for a Disney destination.

The land everyone has heard about is more than likely an off-site Wal-Mart location for warehouses or production.  Wal-Mart has a standard that all company's that do business with them must have an executive level person residing in Benton County (true!) and there are positions posted internally here at Disney in Florida for positions in Arkansas. 

Northwest Arkansas is just as beautiful as the Branson area, in fact, there is no difference between the two locations from a recreational perspective.  I loved growing up in both areas and consider both of them "home"

While I would love a Disney destination closer to home, I have it on extremely good information that it isn't happening.  However, I have rubbed elbows with quite a few people who make a lot of planning decisions so if they do then expect me to be on the opening team!  Hahaha
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

joecorn

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2010, 10:10:11 AM »
Just found the board a few days ago; first post.

As a Bentonville resident, I was informed about this back in the early 2000's by an individual who at the time was involved in city planning.  "Disney Consumer Products" had purchased a large parcel of land northwest of town, somewhere near J St and Price Coffee Rd (North of I-540).

No one really though anything about it at the time because just about every Fortune 500 has some sort of presence in Benton County due to the Wal-Mart factor.  (Not to mention that it's hard to imagine Bentonville realistically as a DVC destination.)

I just did a quick search on the Benton County Circuit Court deed records and found 4 records pertaining to "Disney Consumer Products International" dating back as early as 2003.

Now, in regards to that rumor that Disney has held hundreds of acres on the north shore of Table Rock since the '80's.....

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2010, 11:39:09 AM »
Betamike and Joecorn, thanks for the input here. Interesting. Oh, yeah...I heard the rumor about Disney owning land on the north side of Table Rock, too. Not much happening there, either, is there? :)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Andymeets1880s

• Blacksmith
  • Longing for the SDC "aura" once again!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 26, 2010, 08:35:04 PM »
Ok.....*scratches head*....THIS got my attention being I lived in Benton Co. Ark! Ummm.....do they still own this property at this moment? And why would Disney buy and hold something that sits stagnate (sp)?! Have they sold it by now? Umm.... :o   any update I can get here would be helpful!
Andymeets1880s

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2010, 08:08:40 AM »
Far as I know, they do own the property...it makes sense they would have some real estate at Bentonville for purposes of serving Wal-Mart. I don't know if they have built there or not. However, Wal-Mart issued an order a few years ago that if vendors wanted to sell to them, they better get an office in Bentonville, so if Wal-Mart needs someone from their company at a moments notice, they are right there. I know some companies...like Rubbermade...sell the bulk of their product to Wal-Mart...so it only makes sense Disney would want to have property at Bentonville available to put in a warehouse or office to better serve the largest retailer in the world. (Secretly, I wish they would open a themed complex around here, I'd try to get a job!)

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2010, 10:48:50 AM »
My husband used to survey land down in mac county in AR and he did a survey for NASCAR. Ha. I dont think it got built or nothin but go figure!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2010, 06:17:37 PM »
New life to an old rumor...a realtor associate claims to have been a part in the handling of Disney buying several hundred acres in northern Arkansas, to build a "Disney Midwest", claiming that's why the improvements to 65, Branson airport, & the new lanes to Harrison.  Allegedly the first phase will be complete by 2018.  (I heard a random person discussing the same project, while waiting for a movie to start this past summer) Got to love rumors...
RIP Chippewa Lake Park