Author Topic: Disney in Arkansas?  (Read 15876 times)

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
Disney in Arkansas?
« on: May 14, 2010, 11:04:24 AM »
This is something I have not addressed yet at SDCfans.com, but several months ago there were a few items in the local papers discussing how DISNEY a few years ago bought a large parcel of land in Benton County, Arkansas somewhere between Bentonville and Pea Ridge. Allegedly, plans were being made for some kind of Disney park or resort. The local officials at the courthouse were quoted, saying Disney indeed does own some large acreage in the county. Then, a couple of  years ago, the economy crashed. Nothing being done about a park or resort now. Anybody have any knowledge or input on this? SDC is a two hour commute from my house, but if Disney built some kind of themed park within five miles of my house, you bet I would apply for a job! The land, from my  understanding, would be several miles away from the Pea Ridge Military Park, so I don't think that would be a problem after some theme park company, maybe Disney, was going to build a park near a Civil War site somewhere in the east a few  years ago. Outcry over spoiling the historic site killed the park.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Disney in Arkansas?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 12:36:45 PM »
Ok.  Now let's all try to say this with a straight face.

Disney in Arkansas.  :D LOL :D LOL :D LMAO

I'm sorry, I'm calling BS on this.  Arkansas is honestly at the bottom or near the bottom of the list on places that Disney wants to build.  I mean let's be honest, no one ever says "hey let's go to Arkansas for our family vacation except those that live in Arkansas or some place worse -- and those people (here's looking at you kansas and Oklahoma) go to Branson on their vacations.
SWOOSH

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 01:08:01 PM »
Ok, be nice, some of us enjoy weekend vacations on the Buffalo River!  Disney? No, will never happen, but Disney does promote/suggest a Dude Ranch for vacation get-aways on the Buffalo, near Jasper...
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 01:27:02 PM »
Would a Disney complex of some kind two hours from Branson hurt or kill Branson? YES. Why did Disney purchase land in Benton County. Like I said at the top of the thread, the newspapers in the area quoted courthouse officials that deal with deeds for property, and they did say Disney owns a tract of land in Benton County, Arkansas. Why would a major entertainment company purchase a large tract of land and not develop it eventually.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2010, 01:31:49 PM »
Why would a major entertainment company purchase a large tract of land and not develop it eventually.

As an executive retreat area for its higher powered officials.
Not completely unheard of.
SWOOSH

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2010, 01:41:37 PM »
Every couple of years we hear of Disney supposedly planning a mid-america park, but every time it is eventually revealed to be nothing more than a scam to drive up real estate prices. If Disney wanted to build a mid-america park, it wouldn't be in AR. If they do indeed own land there it isn't for a park development.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 02:03:18 PM »
If you are not familiar with Benton County, Arkansas, let me give you a short profile:

1) Combined population of Bella Vista/Bentonville/Rogers/Springdale/Fayetteville exceeds that of the Springfield,
        Missouri area.

2) Located at/near the boarders of Oklahoma/Arkansas/Missouri/Kansas

3) Home to Wal-Mart, biggest retailer on the planet, as well as Tyson, largest meat producer in the USA, and
        JB Hunt, and the old Jones Trucking empire. Wal-Mart issued a decree a few years ago ordering all their
        vendors to put offices in the area. Thousands working for or servicing Wal-Mart moved to the area.

4) Even with the economic downturn, most things around here slowed down a bit, that's all. In the last few
        months the major housing and construction projects have started rolling again.

5) There is alot of money hiding out around here. When my wife and I lived in Rogers, we were less than four
        miles away from a gated subdivision where the millionaires live with their families. Reportedly there are
        folks in that neighborhood that have original works by Piccasso hanging on the wall.

6) If Disney opened up a theme park or resort in the area, it's location close to Branson could potentially
       seriously hurt the Branson economy. Disney in Arkansas could be a draw for people from Tulsa, OK City,
       Witchita, Little Rock, Dallas.

7) Northwest Arkansas fastest growing area of the state. Predicted to surpass Little Rock in terms of
        population in less than 10 years.

Throw out everything I said above about Arkansas, and put "Joplin" in it's place. Same thing, isn't it? ;)   

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 02:39:32 PM »
Thing is, these rumors have been around for a very long time, and so far there's no indication that Disney plans to do anything down there. Even Jim Hill addressed the rumors the last time they surfaced. (I'll see if I can find the link)

However, Disney would have to bite the bullet and offer competitive prices or it really wouldn't affect Branson/SDC. In act, seeing as how Universal/IoA co-exist with WDW, and Knott's & Magic Mountain with DL, it's possible that having a Disney park could actually *help* Branson/SDC.

I still don't think Disney's anywhere near doing anything in the MidWest.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2010, 02:50:19 PM »
I think a "Midwest Disneyland" is a good idea...no matter where in the heartland they place it. I'm a middle class guy, and for my wife and I, the trip we made with our daughter to Disneyworld in '96 was a once in a lifetime thing. If Disney had something closer, say less than a day's drive, we would go to it from time to time. If they really did build something in my neck of the woods, I'd apply for a job...I'd be first in line to do so, as well.

Regarding Disney in Arkansas...remember the site in Florida in the 1960's and 1970's was nothing more than thousands of acres of unusable swampland in the middle of nowhere before Disneyworld was built. I think it's possible they could build a Disney park here, and that people from OK, MO, TX, AR, KA and other states in the region would come in droves. In time, it would be a destination for people from all over the world like the Florida and California parks are now.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2010, 04:08:14 PM »
^^^In fact, just a few years ago, this was a rumor in Joplin.  The media made quick work of exposing the supposed land-buys, and the buyers retreated.  They couldn't secretly buy up land to put in a first-class park any more even if they wanted to.  I don't think anyone was ever able to debunk the rumors that it was Disney.

Additionally, Disney is rumored to own land between Branson and Springfield, too.  The time-share ilk love to promote their facilities with these rumors.

And personally, I would love to have seen what Disney would have done with the property adjacent to a Civil War site.  They really might have promoted the history and tourism of the place, and I doubt it would have been tasteless or degrading to the "holy ground".
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 05:05:33 PM »
Well, there *was* "Disney's America" that never got off the ground...

http://disneyandmore.blogspot.com/2008/03/disneys-america-theme-park-project.html

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 05:47:01 PM »
The rumor of Disney in the Ozarks seems to surface at least once a year.

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 05:53:25 PM »
While we were waiting in the theatre to watch a movie, last fall, a guy sitting beside us was "confirming" to his friends that the new terminal at Springfield & added lanes to 65 were all for the upcoming Disney project.  I silently rolled my eyes, simply because I've heard the rumor once a year, for a good 23 years...
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

tomncyndi

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2010, 09:17:10 PM »
god i heard that rumor when i lived in lake ozark .. disney was goin in up there

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2010, 09:59:11 PM »
Disney in MO/ARK you ask? Well, Ask and you shall receive.

A Postcard I have had for a year or two here, I didn't think much of it at first, and passed on it, luckily I had a second thought and went back and splurged and spent $1 for the Disney/Branson Item...Rare? I have no clue!!!!! But it makes this discussion a whole lot more real then huh?......Your welcome!
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 10:02:07 PM by rubedugans »