Author Topic: Celebration City Developments  (Read 128131 times)

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
Re: Celebration City Developments
« Reply #240 on: March 13, 2012, 09:17:47 AM »
How would that work with the Landing available several theaters in Branson and the kiddie park on the strip?? I like the idea dont get me wrong but I think that area is destined to be vacant. It has a curse or something. But still a great idea!! I like the thought about the kiddo size bowling ally!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 13, 2012, 11:39:47 AM »
something along those lines would be interesting,

But i would have to think the movie theatres would be bad, with Imax just down the road, the the other movie complex just another 5 minutes down the road. :-\

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 13, 2012, 06:11:51 PM »
something along those lines would be interesting,

But i would have to think the movie theatres would be bad, with Imax just down the road, the the other movie complex just another 5 minutes down the road. :-\

Branson Meadows is a joke and poor quality all things considered in todays world, the Imax plays mostly Imax movies while they play first runs on the additional screen they have. Here's what I would envision a few screens of a new cinema complex would be like and this is just me wishing:
http://dinein.amctheatres.com/how-it-works/cinema-suites
and
http://dinein.amctheatres.com/how-it-works/fork-and-screen

The bowling alley would have shorter lanes for kids, not just bumpers in a section designed for them along with an area designed for adults with a couple of bowling suites that are semi priva I envision is something along the lines of what Landry's Corp has done at Kenah Boardwalk and doing at Galveston. Things in winter like a ice rink(something I'd like to see at OTC)

I

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: May 15, 2012, 06:24:40 PM »
Saw 4 semis with flatbed trailers loaded with red track lined up at the exit of Celebration City early Friday evening. Guess it was the track from the roller coaster (can't think of the name but it was a rough ride).

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #244 on: May 15, 2012, 07:07:27 PM »
Jack has said that until the highway is finished, they're fine with letting the property sit unused.  Don't get your hopes up that anything will happen with the property in the next decade or two.
SWOOSH

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: May 15, 2012, 07:19:48 PM »
Jack has said that until the highway is finished, they're fine with letting the property sit unused.  Don't get your hopes up that anything will happen with the property in the next decade or two.

I don't expect anything to happen anytime soon.  Was just reporting that stuff is still being hauled out of CC....

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 15, 2012, 08:53:04 PM »

They need to find a home for OzCat. That's a crying shame. Buzzsaw Falls too. The rest, meh

I'm on a big proponent of making something useful out of Mud Island, all that needs done is raising it about 2 ft in some areas (last year's flood showed to low spots ) and relocating the marina to the mainland side and there some room for fun. Looking at the Landry's developements down of the gulf coast I think it could be done. OzCat would fit just fine on the northern side of the Island. You could have some fun with that place, a ferris wheel themed after Sun Studio's label and a Drop Tower with a Stax Records theme, A Hymalaya with a rockabilly theme.
A state of the art flight simulation ride of a bombing run on the Memphis Belle. A little river blast ride thats themed to ironclads and mortat batteries in homage to the Battle of Memphis A couple of the new compact steel thrills like that Iron Shark at Galveston or a El Toro compact. A invert that flies over the Harbor to the main bank and back. The River Walk is cool and the Musuem is ok but it needs some flavor along with the amplitheater. Wrong place, but that's one of two places I'd like to see OzCat.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #247 on: May 15, 2012, 10:42:01 PM »
OzCat is no longer being maintained.  It would actually take quite a bit of money to get it into working shape again.  I highly doubt it will operate ever again.  It is just cost prohibitive to move it and it is actually cheaper to build new.
SWOOSH

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 16, 2012, 12:09:16 AM »
OzCat is no longer being maintained.  It would actually take quite a bit of money to get it into working shape again.  I highly doubt it will operate ever again.  It is just cost prohibitive to move it and it is actually cheaper to build new.

They should just fear it down then. Are they waiting on lightning to strike and set it ablaze to college t insurance money?. Kinda disappointed  in Herschend on that end.I thought they were maintaining it it a bit

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 16, 2012, 10:27:17 AM »
Saw 4 semis with flatbed trailers loaded with red track lined up at the exit of Celebration City early Friday evening. Guess it was the track from the roller coaster (can't think of the name but it was a rough ride).

Perhaps this was just new track being staged for The Outlaw at SDC?

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #250 on: May 16, 2012, 06:09:31 PM »

Which highway? 465? How does that affect CC? I thought it was just supposed to keep going and connect with 165/265 down by the dam somewhere.
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #251 on: May 16, 2012, 06:57:14 PM »
^Remember the interview that was posted a few months ago about CC? He stated that it would be necessary to have that access in place in order to make the land appealing to sell or operate again as an amusement park. It was just too much of a traffic jam when CC was open for some people to even attempt to make it to the park.

^^Nope, the Thunderbolt from CC was sold earlier this year and is headed to Colorado. The Outlaw's track is dark and in half lengthwise pieces.

I'm surprised it's taking them so long to get the track out of there. I think the ride is supposed to reopen pretty soon, but it doesn't look like they're repainting it.

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 17, 2012, 08:19:23 AM »
^Remember the interview that was posted a few months ago about CC? He stated that it would be necessary to have that access in place in order to make the land appealing to sell or operate again as an amusement park. It was just too much of a traffic jam when CC was open for some people to even attempt to make it to the park.

^^Nope, the Thunderbolt from CC was sold earlier this year and is headed to Colorado. The Outlaw's track is dark and in half lengthwise pieces.

I'm surprised it's taking them so long to get the track out of there. I think the ride is supposed to reopen pretty soon, but it doesn't look like they're repainting it.

That's a lame excuse. CC was easy to get to if you avoided 76 coming from the east. I'll get up on my soapbox again, it's problem was that it was an general admission place and made it cost prohibited. We had it included in our season ticket package for SDC so it wasn't so much a hassel for us. It needed to operate on a free admission basis with you paying for the rides either by a per ride basis or wristband. It needed individual franchises like Qudoba, Chipolte, five guys, a Hooters. Starbucks, Cherry Berry and so on.   A bowling alley and other things that's indoors to help with the winger season. A new indoor waterpark along the lines of Great Wolf Lodge that offers much better rooms than Grand Country. I can't tell you how many times during the winter we just up and go someplace for a weekend to lift our spirits. An indoor ice staking rink would help with year around drawing.

No, Celebration City was the runt of the litter when the financial crisis hit and that is what did it in. Truth be told I think it may have done better if it had stayed open.

Somethings don't make much sense, the sea lion show in a make shift venue in the baking sun with ths heavy Russian accents, the cheaply done Veggie Tale show only worth going to because it was air condioned, paying a heathy admission to pay premium prices on so so  concessions and to pay even more for things like the arcade games. No, don't blame traffic, blame a bad business model.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 17, 2012, 10:43:44 AM »
I think I saw an interview the Herschends did, probably connected to this site by a link...perhaps when they won the business award in Springfield recently...and Jack said it was arrogance that resulted in the Grand Palace and Grand Village being opened, and he may have said the same thing about CC. The company learns from its mistakes. The palace sits there empty, Grand Village limps along in new ownership, CC was dismantled and shipped elsewhere. Although unsightly, the property will be redeveloped someday. I remember in the early '80s when the company opened Whitewater parks in half a dozen locations. They apparently had a bad business partner, and disinvested themselves from all the parks except for the Branson unit, which does pretty well to this day.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

chittlins

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 31, 2012, 04:41:07 PM »
Another way that could help make a redevelopement of CC year round is to make use of Snowflex technology andd develop some tube runs , bunny trails and such along with a seasonal ice rink. They operate SDC rides in Dec, they could easily do that as well. I'm betting the thing in Nashville will utilize this stuff. Google Liberty University Snowflex.

http://www.liberty.edu/snowflex/

Also Google search for images.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2012, 04:49:28 PM by chittlins »