Author Topic: Celebration City Developments  (Read 128593 times)

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
Re: Celebration City Developments
« Reply #210 on: January 26, 2012, 11:44:45 AM »
Brandon landing could have benefitted from a stadium seating theater.

That could be part of a CC project. A Dave and Busters and a The Track to end all tracks to go with the Ozcat and the flume ride. Add one of those spinning seat mouse type coasters and bumper cars

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 26, 2012, 06:46:29 PM »
I have often wondered why they did not put a roof over the landing complex...  NOT enclosed, Just a roof to keep the sun and rain off of the walkways,  It very easily could have been done no bigger than the complex actually is..

That would have made it a lot more user friendly,  on those HOT days or be someplace to go on the raindays..

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 27, 2012, 07:43:27 PM »
That would have made it a lot more user friendly,  on those HOT days or be someplace to go on the raindays..
You are right Sandunerider, the layout at the Landing does not lend itself to anything but fair weather.

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #213 on: January 27, 2012, 09:13:39 PM »
I thought they wanted you to feel like you were in a city of it's own there. Hence the "streetview" condos. Not sure what a roof would do for their view.  ;D
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 28, 2012, 06:06:00 AM »
Larson,  In "My" eyes.  the roof could have been above the condos, the width of the "streets", drainage modofied on the rooftops to disperse rain, sunlights,Plexiglass or something to allow sunlight through.

If they coould have spaced the roof 5 - 6 feet above the rntie structure to allow for wind to keep fresh air in the area. I think if the roof actually extended a 1/3 of the way over the condos that would eliminate any rain getting in even during HARD rain/wind.

That would retain the "open view" of the condos. People could still see in and out and all around the buildings.

NOT that I have thought about it or anything!!  LOL!!!

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 28, 2012, 09:08:21 AM »
Larson,  In "My" eyes.  the roof could have been above the condos, the width of the "streets", drainage modofied on the rooftops to disperse rain, sunlights,Plexiglass or something to allow sunlight through.

http://www.jtcent.com/disneyland/world/images/wbrlftout.jpg

That's what they did for Tokyo Disney's Main Street.

Jay

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 28, 2012, 12:47:12 PM »
YEA!! SEE!!??  i knew it could have been done somehow! :o :o :o

thanks for the pic cowboy.

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #217 on: February 06, 2012, 02:05:11 PM »
I thought this quip from a recent article on HFEC was interesting:

Herschend has made a series of hits in a business that has seen lots of failure, bankruptcies, consolidations and closures of unprofitable facilities. Herschend itself closed an under-performing theme park, Celebration City in Branson, Mo., after the 2008 season. The property, which was open at night as a side attraction to Silver Dollar City’s daytime operations, remains idle.

“People already had a lot of things to do at night in Branson,” Ruben said. “They didn’t need another amusement park.”

Jane Cooper, Herschend’s chief operating officer and president of attractions, said Celebration City was not a good fit for the company.

“It was a little off target,” she said. “We couldn’t see much upside to it. So we bought two aquariums and a theme park in south Georgia at the time we closed it.”

The aquariums are now among Herschend’s most popular and profitable properties.
Source: http://www.tennessean.com/article/20120205/BUSINESS01/302050032/Meet-Herschend-Dolly-Parton-s-silent-partner-family-fun-parks

Anyone else know of any articles like this where they talk about Celebration City? I'd like to go back again and piece together more of their thought process for why they closed the park. It sounds strange for the to say things like "it was off target" when it seemed to fit right in with everything else they had. One of the main problems seemed to be that the property simply wasn't diverse enough to capture what people wanted to do in the late evenings. It seems like they didn't want to invest enough in the place to make it truly profitable, so they shuttered it early before it started loosing more money.This is certainly evidence against them ever trying to open a full park on the property ever again.

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 06, 2012, 05:25:30 PM »
We have discussed this CC issue before. Seems like if they re-themed and re-tooled it could make it as a night time venue. Shops, restaurants, entertainment, a few rides, but something big...like an aquarium or other strong attraction to really draw 'em in. Remember, a theme park no matter how big or small, is essentially a shopping mall...but you got to have a good anchor, like Bass Pro Shop is for Branson Landing.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 06, 2012, 05:41:32 PM »
Honestly, the problem with CC was that for a "nighttime" park, it didn't stay open very late...

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #220 on: February 24, 2012, 09:32:59 PM »
Glenwood Caverns Adventure Park in CO has purchased Thunderbolt. http://www.facebook.com/GlenwoodCaverns?sk=wall

That leaves 2 kiddie rides and the log flume to sell.

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: February 25, 2012, 11:23:33 AM »
I wished the PTB would move the log flume to SDC. I know that American Plunge is the same type of ride, but surely they could put it in the Grand Expo area for the kids. My kids loved the flume at Celebration City. I loved riding it with them. It was cool how it had the 2 separate drops. We rode it probably 10 times straight one time. It would be nice if the could move the Roaring Falls over to SDC as well. It would be cool to plunge into Lake Silver...
Colorado SDC Fan

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: February 25, 2012, 11:25:31 AM »
On another note, it is nice to see part of my Celebration City vacation history move to my home state. My kids and I rode the Thunderbolt many times and to see it come to Colorado is sorta Cool. I have a good friend who works at the fish hatchery in Rifle, Colorado which is just a few miles from Glenwood so I'll get to ride the ride again....whoopeee...
Colorado SDC Fan

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #223 on: February 25, 2012, 11:49:21 AM »
If they moved the CC log flume to SDC I'd raise a fit. You realize that's a crappy portable model, right? I mean, sure, it was fun of course, but it certainly wouldn't fit in at SDC. There are plenty of new flume rides they can build at SDC with theming, a custom layout, and other features to meet our usual standard of excellence  ;)

I have a feeling both the shot tower and Supersplash will indeed come to SDC. Hopefully at the same time, since neither one by itself is all that great, but as a package they would certainly add to the park. Maybe 2014?

joshblakebran

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: February 25, 2012, 10:29:14 PM »
Yeah, I know it's pretty cheap and you're right, it wouldn't fit the theming...sorry I got a little crazy there...But I love the idea of the other 2 rides coming over in 2014...That'd be great...By the way, thanks for bringing me back to earth...
Colorado SDC Fan