Author Topic: Celebration City Developments  (Read 127468 times)

biscuitcreek

• Conductor
    • View Profile
Celebration City Update
« Reply #195 on: January 01, 2012, 07:20:56 PM »
Here's the latest on Celebration City from a recent interview Hometown Daily News Radio had with Pete Herschend.

http://www.hometowndailynews.com/8618/celebration_city_still_talked_about_coowner_says_not_high_on_companys_radar.html

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: Celebration City Developments
« Reply #196 on: January 01, 2012, 08:00:02 PM »
Hmm, not surprising to hear that they're not really working on anything at the moment. Everything at SDC has seemed to be delayed multiple times now over the past few years because of all the economic uncertainty and the chain is busy throwing money in all sorts of directions on new properties and management contracts.

Before anything happens on the CC site, the economy will have to make a huge rebound - that much we know for sure, and we can't know much more than that.

I did find it interesting that he made it sound like another company could potentially come in and re-open the park. I wonder if that would be through a partnership of some kind, seeing as one of the primary reasons the bought the property in the first place was to stop a competitor from coming in and undercutting them with a budget amusement park. I think we're still most likely looking at some kind of animal attraction down the road, hopefully managed by HFEC.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: January 25, 2012, 10:57:30 AM »
Just read up on the developement planned in Nashville planed between Taylor's and Dollywood. A water/snow park. If they can pull off a snowpark in Nashville, they sure as heck could in Brandon. Watch this, could be the future of Celebration City.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: January 25, 2012, 12:53:45 PM »
I don't understand why they don't just make Celebration City something like Kemah Boardwalk in Kemah (Houston) Tx.  http://www.kemahboardwalk.com/index.asp

Or even better.......something like Universal CityWalk at the Universal Resort in Orlando
http://www.universalorlando.com/Restaurants/CityWalk-Restaurants.aspx

Make Celebration City more of a destination restaurant, shopping, hotel and entertainment complex with a few "pay as you ride" or "wristband" amusement rides. You could have Branson Landing on one end of town, and this complex on the other end of town.

They could also implement a system that allowed you to be in line for your table, but allow you to shop within the "park" or be out riding rides. No more standing against a wall waiting for your name to be called.

I know if something like this would open, my family would be at SDC during the day, and then this place late into the night.

Jay

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #199 on: January 25, 2012, 01:03:13 PM »
Make Celebration City more of a destination restaurant, shopping, hotel and entertainment complex with a few "pay as you ride" or "wristband" amusement rides. You could have Branson Landing on one end of town, and this complex on the other end of town.

They could also implement a system that allowed you to be in line for your table, but allow you to shop within the "park" or be out riding rides. No more standing against a wall waiting for your name to be called.

I know if something like this would open, my family would be at SDC during the day, and then this place late into the night.

Jay

That's the best idea I've heard yet!
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #200 on: January 25, 2012, 02:42:47 PM »
I don't understand why they don't just make Celebration City something like Kemah Boardwalk in Kemah (Houston) Tx.  http://www.kemahboardwalk.com/index.asp

Or even better.......something like Universal CityWalk at the Universal Resort in Orlando
http://www.universalorlando.com/Restaurants/CityWalk-Restaurants.aspx

Jay

We've passed around similar ideas for years, but in today's reality it makes less sense than ever to do anything with the property right now. What you've described is essentially Branson Landing with rides - it sounds awesome, but look at how many problems Branson has had, and that was with hundreds of millions in investment. A few rides would not make it work better, especially seeing as even SDC itself is having a hard time keeping their attendance from falling off a cliff. Everything in Branson has tried to be a destination, but there are fewer and fewer people out here who are willing and able to spend money here. Plus, transportation to the area is still an issue. Nothing can be done until the new highway is completed, which will take a decade or more at least. I wouldn't be surprised if they tear wildcat down before that.

tiffanylynnt

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook. Add me as a friend, just let me know you're from SDCFans!
« Reply #201 on: January 25, 2012, 03:48:14 PM »
Not saying they will, but if they do turn it into another place like the Landing, they need to reopen the diner! That was my favorite! I don't remeber what it was called, but there was a car in font of it, and I think the building was a blue-ish green color.
"They don't hit nothin' though... They're New York Yankees." - Alfie Bolin

thelarsonsix

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page. Just let me know you're from SDC fans
« Reply #202 on: January 25, 2012, 03:48:51 PM »
Which highway are talking about Shave? The other end of 465?
"He takes a log, then he just cuts away everything that don't look like an injun" - Jed Clampett

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
« Reply #203 on: January 25, 2012, 04:06:12 PM »
^I forget the name of it right now, but the article linked a few posts back talks about it. I mean, HFEC basically came out and said they didn't see any potential in this place at the moment. It sounded like they needed the road built just so they can have a chance to sell the land at the very least.

chittlins

• Craftsman
  • I want a watermelon stand
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: January 25, 2012, 06:54:53 PM »
The snowpark thing like that being talked about for Nashville sounds best. It could tie into OTC quite well, some of the structures used for half pipes and stuff could double as a skaters park in the summer. Add a couple of board walk type rides and charge a per ride fee without the hassel of a general admission. Have a couple of national restuarant chains locate there with adult beverages  and hush my mouth, a dance club.

Notice what I'm going for here, something for that 21- 40 demo that's missing.

The problem with Branson as a shopping destination is that there's no way to be any different than the cities that it's trying to attract people from and not enough of population base that's all it's own. No one is going to buy bedding esembles down at Belk's while on vacation and it not have the deep discount illusion that an outlet mall gives. Everything down at the Landing is already right in my back yard here in NWA. That goes for the half Bass Pro as well which I think the olny real purpose it serves is to sell Big Cedar timeshares.

I miss the Bud store though.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: January 25, 2012, 07:11:43 PM »
I like Jay's idea. And rather than making it a shopping destination like Branson Landing, make it more like Legends in Kansas City, where the nightlife centers around restaurants like the T-Rex Restaurant (similar to Rainforest Cafe) and a really cool BBQ place I haven't been to yet; night clubs and comedy clubs; a really nice movie theater; and Dave & Busters.

Add a couple rides (open Wildcat back up), and it's the perfect place for some nightlife in Branson, which it lack quite a bit. Branson Landing really doesn't stay open all that late, really; certainly not late enough for people who go to shows to go visit it after their show.

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: January 25, 2012, 07:44:36 PM »
I would also like to see something along that line Jay, After getting done with shows at 9:30 - 10:00, there is nothing to do... A nice restaurant or 2 or 3, along with a couple of drinking extablishments for music and relaxing, maybe dancing..??  some retail shops for daytime shoppers........

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: January 26, 2012, 07:32:20 AM »
I dont think I would attend. After a long day at the City we tend to go back to where we are staying and swim or play at the park provided. Not big on going to shows with a 5 year old. Then we are asleep by 10 cuz well I am old for a 24 year old. :) Its also another cost that my family wont be able to afford at the time being. We have enough to do the way it is. Its great for families with older kiddos/teens though!
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: January 26, 2012, 08:48:14 AM »
Sounds like you all are describing Downtown Disney.  My family has traveled to Disney several times and I really enjoy having a centrel place to go at night after the parks. An evening destination with movies, restaurants and shops at night with a few rides and a little entertainment sprinkled in is a great idea.  This got me thinking about traveling to Gatlinburg and seeing how Ripley's sells their attractions.  They are all within walking distance of each other and have several ticket options so you can go to one or all 5 attractions ( more you buy the better the deal).  Celebration city is located on the intersection of Shepard of the hills and also at that intersection are the Butterfly Palace, Imax, and CC.  Each of these are Hershing properties and could be sold together.  Seems like a great idea, if they discount the tickets so you spend your entire day with them you are GOING to buy drinks and food. This is the same tactic as the Bring a Friends.   That might be a great way to sell the entire Branson Hershing properties.  They tried this with CC and SDC but it was cost prohibitive, if they were to also offer options of a movie and a trip through the butterfly palace that could catch my attention.  I would love to buy a ticket that would let me in to all of these.  Maybe even ride the ducks.
Why not offer a " golden Ticket" to all these attractions to sell them together?  This would be a great Christmas offer. 
This would seem like a great way to sell each of the properties and catch peoples attention.  SDC is promoting the other properties in there pathfinders but it comes off to me as just coupons for attraction's that are maybe not doing so well.  A combo ticket could change this perception.  SDC saw large crowds at Christmas when they dicounted tickets through the internet and facebook.  I think people are looking for a deal in this economy. Maybe this idea would work if expanded to the other properties.

cowboy

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: January 26, 2012, 09:37:32 AM »
What I would love to have in Branson, is a family entertainment, resort, all in one facility....and I feel like it could really work at the Celebration City site. Just imagine after a long day at the City you could come back to your hotel relax a little. Then you just walk out the back door of the hotel to get a nice dinner (no driving)........the kids could get some go cart rides in, some mini golf, ride some rides and I could sit on the boardwalk with my wife and share a few drinks and people watch...

They could make it so this attraction would be open year around. With the rides being open everyday weather permitting and the nice restaurants, hotels, unique shops, etc. also be open year around. During winter you could have a winter festival with outdoor ice skating, snow hills, etc…..There is so much potential, but it would take a bunch of money too.

This has worked for Disney (Downtown Disney), Universal City Walk, Kemah Boardwalk, Navy Pier in Chicago, etc. Not another "gated" amusement park, or mall - but a place to eat, sleep, shop......and have fun.

Anyway, I know It’s just a pipedream……..

Jay