Author Topic: Trailblazer Pass Blowback and Overcrowding  (Read 19501 times)

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Trailblazer Pass Blowback and Overcrowding
« on: March 28, 2010, 10:47:46 PM »
So I've been hearing more and more grumbling about the Trailblazer passes that were first introduced last year. Has the program been expanded? I'm sure with all the big lines during Spring Break they've sold more than usual, but is it having an effect on the attitude of the park? I've always been cautiously pessimistic about the passes - I mean, this isn't a Six Flags or Cedar Fair park where you pay a fairly low price to get in and have a multitude of rides. We're talking about 5 major rides here with people already paying $50 to get in. I had hoped they were going to evolve the system into something that works with the guests better, rather than keeping it as a side-system for those with extra cash to throw around.

Dollywood has successfully implemented low-cost Q-bots (http://dollywood.com/dollywood-q10061-c10013-Q2Q_.aspx). These are $15, as opposed to the $50+ ones you see at some of the other big chain parks, and they work well with DW's expanded line-up of big attractions. While I don't like the idea of a pay to skip lines scheme for SDC, this would be a lot better.

The perfect solution, of course, would be to do something like Disney World's system where each guest can schedule their rides for the day free of charge. That system might be copyrighted though, plus, who'd want to give up all that money?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 08:38:59 PM by History Buff »

tinmann620

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
Re: Trailblazer Pass Blowback
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 11:00:11 PM »
Of my 3 visits, this year, the guests in line were grumbling about them, mostly because 1) they always want the front seat, making that line longer & 2) they get off and run around to ride again!  I waited 1hr & 20 min for my first ride of the year on PK, 55 min the 2nd day, and 45 min the 3rd.  My suggestion is this:  Plan a 2-day trip, pay the $20 and ride the rides all you can one day, then come back the next day to do only shows...
RIP Chippewa Lake Park

PastorDon

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 11:17:56 PM »
^Sounds like a good idea to me.  I think I've only gone to SDC on a 1 day trip once since I started going.  It's just impossible to try to do everything in a day, then at the end of the day you're so exhausted...  I like to take my time and ride some rides, see some shows, have a leisurely lunch, and just soak up the atmosphere. 
In His grip!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 11:22:01 PM »
The perfect solution, of course, would be to do away with it all together since it is not needed if the ride is properly staffed and efficient

FIXED.
SWOOSH

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 01:25:17 AM »
The perfect solution, of course, would be to do away with it all together since it is not needed if the ride is properly staffed and efficient

FIXED.

Ditto.

Lines aren't a problem for me, since I'm not into rides or shows. Even when there are lines, there is so much to absorb that every few steps give you new theming to read, new signs, a new view, whatever.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 08:31:25 AM »
Amen to properly staffed.

THey are getting really lax with the ride efficiancys.
PK has 2 cars although more often than not they are running only 1.  I think that WF actually has 3 but even 2 would really help out.
THe worst offences are PK and the swing, only 1 car for these is a really lax move on the parks behalf.

Now they say that if the cars are not full they stall the system adn it has to be rebooted, funny thing though I have seen all rides running empty or just lightly filled as on infrequent slow days.

Waiting a few min is not a big deal but 45 is a killer when that could be cut in half.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2010, 08:46:03 AM »
Yeah, but the longer the lines, and the less efficient each ride is equals more possible Trailblazer passes sold!

Okay, perhaps Silver Dollar City is more creditable than that, but it sure gives the appearance of it.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2010, 08:48:51 AM »
Now they say that if the cars are not full they stall the system adn it has to be rebooted, funny thing though I have seen all rides running empty or just lightly filled as on infrequent slow days.

I do not believe that at all since they test run the rides every morning before opening with empty cars.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 08:50:52 AM by Ozark BBQ »

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
  • My mind is always at a theme park
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2010, 09:02:22 AM »
They just need to have adequate staff on hand and increase capacity as attendence increases. I understand having low staffing based upon projections- but you must be able to gear up in a hurry if attendence exceedes projections or the memories will be of long lines and not fun family time.

kerrydale

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 09:25:27 AM »
While admitting this may earn me the scorn of many, I have to confess that I used a Trailblazer pass last summer with my brother and sister...and I hated it.  I hated all the nasty looks from everyone who has waited in line (and I honestly felt like I deserved the nasty looks).  All it took was one day of using that thing for me to never want to use one again.

Plus--and this might by really corny--but I feel like you miss the camaraderie of investing time in a line with others who aren't just there to ride a ride but be connected to a unique and memorable place.  No more TB passes for me.

SteamFreak

• Hatfield
  • DO NOT pull the orange cable.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 12:09:15 PM »
Amen to properly staffed.

THey are getting really lax with the ride efficiancys.
PK has 2 cars although more often than not they are running only 1.  I think that WF actually has 3 but even 2 would really help out.
THe worst offences are PK and the swing, only 1 car for these is a really lax move on the parks behalf.

Waiting a few min is not a big deal but 45 is a killer when that could be cut in half.

PK has 3 and WF has2

saloongal

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 12:23:21 PM »
I don't need a Trailblazer Pass, we hardly ride rollercoasters, but if we spend time in ridiculously long lines for the Happy Frogs again this year because they only staff one operator for two rides, they will hear from us.  Seriously it makes me mad! 
Other than that, trailblaze away!  Makes me no difference.

And the Disney Fast Pass is the greatest thing ever, but it doesn't seem like there are enough rides for it at SDC.  Unless they are going to use it for rides and shows. 
"Children, like fruit, are often sweetest just before they turn bad"

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2010, 05:11:16 PM »
I work for a very large corporation, where the CEO's and other higher ups work out of a headquarters in a different state. They look at the number of people coming through our local outlet, and the amount of money that comes into it. That's about it. So if their numbers are  not looking good to them, they cut back staff, close portions of our building, shut down services, and ride our butts about how we need to be collecting more money. So, when I hear about staff shortages at SDC, some services or shops being cut back or closed, it's the same thing I have to deal with in my job now.    I understand. I don't like it, but I get it. I guess I'm not realistic, but I still say the company headquarters ought to be in Branson at SDC. Paying attention to detail to the overall guest experience is still something that the company excells in, but in some respects it does not sound like it is as good as it used to be 20 years or more ago.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2010, 06:47:04 PM »
I do not mind if the head cheese is another state. However the person who actually makes all of the decisions should be there at the park. The show "Undercover Boss" is a great example of how many CEO's are completely out of touch with their local markets, and yet they make all of the decisions for them.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 06:55:02 PM by Ozark BBQ »

Copper

• Global Moderator
  • Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2010, 06:57:15 PM »
Even when there are lines, there is so much to absorb that every few steps give you new theming to read, new signs, a new view, whatever.
Nice, I like your thinking!