Author Topic: What Would You Do?  (Read 16979 times)

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What Would You Do?
« Reply #30 on: August 21, 2009, 09:08:51 PM »
Everytime I walk through the gate at SDC I get excited. It really is a special place with lots of personality and feel. But, I can't help but think the "feel" is not as good as it once was. Maybe I'm just getting older and changing.  But I hope that SDC doesn't feel the need to dumb it down to the lowest common denominator to compete with the other so called amusement parks out there. That's why I don't like the airbrush t-shirts, cheap toys, basketballs, etc.  If they just focus on what they do best, they can make the feel as good as its ever been. I'd still rather go to SDC than any other theme park!

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2010, 02:58:02 PM »
I know this thread is about a year old, but I have been reading back through it and thought it was interesting for a couple of reasons.  First, we have several new members from this time last year and I would like to read their input on what "one thing he/she would do to improve the park".  Second, many of the concerns we voiced a year ago about Moonlight Madness and the direction of the park are still concerns we have now.  I hoped SDC would have learned from the first 2 Moonlight events and improved things a bit.  As fans are we not doing a good enough job of making our feedback known?  Or, is the park not listening thinking things are all good and headed in the right direction? It is interesting to me that many of the concerns we had then are concerns we still have now.  Given the passing of a year, what one thing would you do now to make SDC a better place?

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2010, 03:08:38 PM »
I know this thread is about a year old, but I have been reading back through it and thought it was interesting for a couple of reasons.  First, we have several new members from this time last year and I would like to read their input on what "one thing he/she would do to improve the park".  Second, many of the concerns we voiced a year ago about Moonlight Madness and the direction of the park are still concerns we have now.

A little off topic, but I just wanted to add that there is absolutely nothing wrong with digging up an old thread. People around here have come, and gone since then, and viewpoints have changed, and matured over time. I always enjoy sharing a fresh prospective on an old issue!  ;D

jmc75

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2010, 03:11:58 PM »
I would like to see them bring gun show how they use to do in the square in know for this year they are kinda bringing it back but it still not the same and then to have more street troup people out interacting with people. I think this has kinda fallen off over the years.

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2010, 04:35:22 PM »
All I've seen of the street troupe is their hosting water balloon tossing contests with guests.  I can do that at home; we would rather see a show, something funny, a feud, a gunfight - something unique.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

bfork1

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2010, 07:21:18 PM »
It is very obvious that the further Jack and Pete get away from SDC the more it is losing its charm. Miss Mary would roll over!!

bfork1

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2010, 07:26:34 PM »
Let me put it another way... We all know the feeling that we (long time visitors) get when we go through the entrance, right? Heck it even started with the green trams and the smell of Butane. Well......the people calling the shots now never had the feeling in the first place.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2010, 07:52:25 PM »

As I understand Walt Disney used to go into his parks and walk, and pick up trash....etc.
Maybe the directors of SDC should spent a mandatory day at the park, out of the offices Actually IN the park watching what people are doing, what is crowded and what isn't.
Numbers only tell you so much.
Sometimes a multiple choice question is damning because of the options.

bfork1

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2010, 07:59:51 PM »
I think the problem is that the "Directors" have no clue about the REAL SDC

pintrader

« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2010, 08:14:41 PM »
Speaking of picking up trash!  Has anyone just been walking around SDC and seen trash laying around?  Then you have this uncontrollable urge or feeling to pick it up?  I am kind of like that anyway but SDC seems to bring it out of me more.  I feel that it is hallowed ground or that I owe this little theme park something.  And I guess when I think of it I really do owe it something.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 08:17:10 PM by Pintrader »

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #40 on: August 15, 2010, 08:15:27 PM »
All I've seen of the street troupe is their hosting water balloon tossing contests with guests.  I can do that at home; we would rather see a show, something funny, a feud, a gunfight - something unique.

Actually on a hot summer day I like the idea of a water balloon contest! ;D It's simple, and yet still fits within the theme somewhat. It's sort of along the lines of playing with an old fashioned string, and top, or whitewashing a fence.

It sure beats some of the other ridiculous out-of-theme ideas that they have been shooting out of the cannon this year.  :D

Don't get me wrong though, I still want my daily fued, and gunfight too! :)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 08:34:19 PM by Ozark BBQ »

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2010, 09:13:54 AM »
They actually DO have more than just water balloons. If you look at the Pathfinder, you'll see that the Street Troupe has 5 or so times listed. Each of those times is a different skit.

I've personally seen:

~Waterballoon tossing
~Zeke Hatfield talking about snake oil that he bought (I've got this one on video)
~The sheriff and deputy teaching kids how to be deputies & then they actually encounter prison stripes-clad robbers
~There was one where... Sally?... was trying to get Zeke to take her to a dance

One of these days I plan to go to the park and spend the entire day on Main Street, filming each of the skits and stuff.

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 21, 2010, 02:13:39 PM »
sometimes though the opions of the few of us on this forum just does not out weight the thousands of paying customers that come to the park . I can only hope that the powers that be do read this forum and take some reference from the people that truly love this park from it's beginning
SDC has always made a great past to remember

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2010, 04:19:12 PM »
Amen, Oldster, Amen! :)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

BackInTime

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2010, 10:24:55 PM »
What one thing would you do to improve the park? 

For me, I would continue to improve the park with a balance of new rides and other themed additions (food, shops, craftsmen, etc.) to go with them. A close second would be doing a clean sweep of the entire park and immediately removing or overhauling anything that doesn't feel like it belongs. The games in GE are a perfect example. I'm not opposed to a midway type area for interactive games, but have some games that make you feel like you're playing something or taking part in an activity that pioneers might have enjoyed long ago. And have prizes in keeping with that theme and SDC charm as well. A stuffed animal or rubber basketball has no place whatsoever in a nineteenth century era park. I really appreciated the edition of GE for it's variety of rides, but I was really shocked and disappointed to see some of the additions so out of place.

Others have touched on it, but I'll reiterate it. SDC is what it is and has withstood the test of time for a reason. They don't need to reinvent the wheel to be successful. If they just stick to what they do best, that's all they ever need. Bottom line, if there's a question about whether or not it belongs, you more than likely already have the answer.

While I'm not nuts about them adding RB this year, and I have yet to see it, the reviews and pictures indicate HFEC left no stone unturned to ensure the attraction oozes that SDC charisma we all love so much. If they continue doing that across the board, we have nothing to worry about.