Author Topic: What Would You Do?  (Read 16987 times)

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
Re: What Would You Do?
« Reply #45 on: August 21, 2010, 11:40:46 PM »
sometimes though the opions of the few of us on this forum just does not out weight the thousands of paying customers that come to the park.

Obviously all of us here are insanely passionate about the park. Otherwise we wouldn’t be here.

However, I often wonder if we are in fact not always in the minority? Perhaps many of those other “thousands” feel the same way about certain issues as we do, but just have no channel to express their thoughts?

If there was only a standard way for more visitors to express their concerns about the park. Surveys are nice, but Silver Dollar City seems to only send those to the people they pick, and choose to send them to. So they are not an accurate representation of their thousands of visitors.

Does the mom from Idaho (just making up a random location) really care about the basketballs, and stuffed animals that break the theme? Probably not, but how would Silver Dollar City really know? Such a slip up isn’t necessarily going to stop her, and her family from returning. However, in the back of her mind she may feel upset that Silver Dollar City is loosing some of its charm too.

Sorry, I am just doing some late night pondering.  :-X  ;)

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 22, 2010, 01:18:22 AM »
I think people are selling kids short when they insist some modern concessions must be made to make it fun for kids. I think kids today would be more fascinated by rollin' hoops and other primitive theme-appropriate fun, than by much of the stuff they can see at any other park (just with a different theme).

I was a kid before cell phones and the internet, but we had cable TV, video games, the first home computers were appearing, videotape and laser discs were on the market, etc., etc. And you know what? The thing I loved most about SDC in the 70s was leaving all that "modern technology" behind and enjoying the slower pace and simpler life.

I don't believe kids today are fundamentally different. Sure, they love the rides, but let's give them credit for not having to be inundated with Nickelodeon characters 24/7. They would love an original stage show just as much as one featuring Spongebob.

And they'd probably be even more fascinated with the rolling hoops.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 22, 2010, 03:04:41 PM »
Under "shops" thread I posted the following, but it fittingly went here as well...

I miss interactive demonstrations at the stores during the kids fest. It wasn't called that 25 years ago, but here is how it went. Instead of Spongebob, and the similar modern "pop" image additions to the summer months, Kids could take part in the crafts. As a child I threw 2 pots on a pottery wheel on the porch of the Hillside Pottery shop (with assistance cenering the clay from the potter himself), made a butter churn out of barrel staves and hoops (which we were told would be sold the net day...later I found out that they were quickly dismantled for the next kid to put together), my sister StlPhotogal spun a jump rope, we pressed (minted) coins, tooled leather cuffs/ bracelets and keychains. There were no beanie babies or battery powered toys, we would buy marbles, or dolls (in Stl's case-not mine). Buy cap guns and pop/ cork guns, and enjoy every minute of it. We didn't need to bring in Smurfs or Sesame Street or any characters to make our trip worthwhile.

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 22, 2010, 08:48:24 PM »
8/22/10
Face characters were out in force today, Ill tell you I hate to see the Madonna head sets on them but what are you gonna do.
They however weren't getting any feedback from the audience.
I felt a little sorry for them.
Maybe we are just to difficult to entertain these days.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 22, 2010, 10:29:42 PM »
I forgive the headsets 'cause at least it means we can hear them better.

I've found that of the skits I've seen so far, some are more interesting and better written than others.

Plus, the feedback (or lack thereof) is always gonna differ based on each new audience.

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 23, 2010, 09:14:42 AM »
I have been waiting for someone to finally mention the headsets! :p

As much as I want Silver Dollar City to be authentic, at the end of the day it is still an 1880's themed amusement park functioning in 2010. So technology, and electronics will always filter through. Actually I am okay with that so long as it does not stick out like a sore thumb.

I wonder if lapel mics would hide better though? Such as the ones that news reporters, and television host use?

marolinesdad

• Conductor
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 23, 2010, 09:26:39 AM »
They have tried Lapel mics but you have to keep your head facing forward on them so it will pick you up.
“May there always be a Silver Dollar City.” – Paul Harvey

Parson B Ready

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 24, 2010, 12:21:43 AM »
They have headset mics that are less obtrusive and really blend in well with the face of the speaker. Maybe they could get some of those.  I wonder how the new FCC laws regarding the 700mhz frequency (the frequency which most wireless mics operate over) impacts them?

stlphotogal

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 03, 2010, 04:05:30 PM »
Under "shops" thread I posted the following, but it fittingly went here as well...

I miss interactive demonstrations at the stores during the kids fest. It wasn't called that 25 years ago, but here is how it went. Instead of Spongebob, and the similar modern "pop" image additions to the summer months, Kids could take part in the crafts. As a child I threw 2 pots on a pottery wheel on the porch of the Hillside Pottery shop (with assistance cenering the clay from the potter himself), made a butter churn out of barrel staves and hoops (which we were told would be sold the net day...later I found out that they were quickly dismantled for the next kid to put together), my sister StlPhotogal spun a jump rope, we pressed (minted) coins, tooled leather cuffs/ bracelets and keychains. There were no beanie babies or battery powered toys, we would buy marbles, or dolls (in Stl's case-not mine). Buy cap guns and pop/ cork guns, and enjoy every minute of it. We didn't need to bring in Smurfs or Sesame Street or any characters to make our trip worthwhile.

Rubes a liar, the dolls WERE for him :)
In all seriousness though I so very much miss the "old" kids themed items/activities. My daughter was fortunate enough to get to press a few coins herself with "Santa" (Garry) prior to his move to the gun/knife shop and then subsequent departure from the park. I remember we got to go down a zipline once too (remember, Rube?) - it was made of the jump rope material and you would crash into some hay bales at the end. I still have the tooled leather band I made with my name on it. Sigh...I miss all of that (not just for me but for my daughter and everyone elses kids too).  :(

pintrader

« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2010, 08:33:00 PM »
What one thing would I do to make SDC a better place?  I myself would take out the barrels of fun.  These are the things shaped like a barrel, with a small back support and foot rest.  You sit down on the barrel and put a quarter in and it starts vibrating on your, well let's just say your backside  :).  I am not sure what service these vibrating barrels provide in an 1880's theme park.  Anyway I kind of think their annoying and a little out of place at SDC.   

MissinTheGreenTrams

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 14, 2010, 06:51:55 PM »
those are all great suggestions! One thing I think I would like to see some things fixed. Ya know I have been recently and plan to be there saturday and well.....one thing I loved when it opened was Gyser Gulch. Not so much now. It needs to be painted and fixed. Grandfathers mansion needs a bit of paint and minor repair. I saw they did do a little work to the flooded mine which I appriciated. I dunno maybe I am getting old and crabby, but its not the same. Fix up what you have. Make it look nice. If I am paying around 250 a year on season passes alone, I think they could use that money to fix stuff up.
The smell of asphalt and butane says home!

mhguy77

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 14, 2010, 08:10:15 PM »
If I am paying around 250 a year on season passes alone, I think they could use that money to fix stuff up.
Amen to that.
I think the idea that the suits don't care as much about our opinions as new visitors may be true.  But we are the ones that tithe yearly to the Hershings and they need to remember the faithfull.
Wait, its not the Hershings, its some group of people in Atlanta.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 09:40:58 PM by mhguy77 »

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 14, 2010, 11:18:34 PM »
Perhaps the “suits” as they are so elegantly called, consider adding a new attraction every year as a better way to attract guest than simply sprucing up an older ride.

To Silver Dollar City’s credit, they have touched up many of their attractions around the park this season. Fire in the Hole is the perfect example of that. However, the American Plunge is the perfect example of an attraction that has been left to "fall into shambles" so to speak.

We all know that a new attraction will be here within the next year, or so. However, I wish Silver Dollar City would step away from the planning table for at least one year, and breathe additional life into some of their older rides, gags, and attractions.  :)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 10:07:48 AM by Ozark BBQ »