Author Topic: SDCFans Teachers  (Read 100830 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: SDCFans Teachers
« Reply #270 on: October 10, 2010, 01:21:34 PM »
...and here I was just going to say that even though I got a raise from last year, I am taking less home per month since they raised the amount being taken out for Teacher's Retirement to 14% this year.

It would be nice if our rate of pay would increase as much and as quickly as our "rate of with-holdings"

I know how you feel, I finished my master's in curriculum last year, and I take home about $50 a month more than last year even after bumping up on the scale. 

Well it just seemed to hurt more this year because I am down to only one source of income due to my recent divorce.... so it would have been nice to have actually been able to keep some of that extra income from my raise
SWOOSH

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 10, 2010, 05:30:05 PM »

Well it just seemed to hurt more this year because I am down to only one source of income due to my recent divorce.... so it would have been nice to have actually been able to keep some of that extra income from my raise

Sorry to hear about that, Swoosh.  And HB, I've always felt these boards are like therapy.  A trip to SDC--even more so!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 28, 2010, 12:54:05 PM »
This is changing directions with this thread, but have you teachers ever organized a field trip to SDC for your students? I know the first thing the kids will do is run to rides, but if you gave them a check list of craftsmen to visit, or told them to visit the McHaffee and Birdle's cabin, soak up some history and folklore with Aunt Judy telling stories, or visiting the school house, would it work? Chime in!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 28, 2010, 01:10:03 PM »
It is 4 hrs away from here or else I would have. I know DocSpeleo had one for his class last year.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 28, 2010, 04:22:13 PM »
It's not a class, but the MSU Folklore Club is going to SDC as a club event at the beginning of December. I am SO excited to share the park with my fellow club members!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: October 28, 2010, 08:15:04 PM »
Survived P/T Conferences tonight... man what a waste of time
SWOOSH

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: October 28, 2010, 08:22:05 PM »
swoosh,  sit back, close your eyes, take a deep breath..  think wind in the trees, christmas music, kids in the backgound, smell of outdoor cooking..........  oh yes another day at SDC. ;)

Ozark Outlaw

• Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I am on Facebook. :)
« Reply #277 on: October 29, 2010, 12:14:17 AM »
Survived P/T Conferences tonight... man what a waste of time

That's the spirit! ;D

Actually, I agree that some parent / teacher conferences aren't necessary. Just depends on the circumstances.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: October 29, 2010, 09:28:49 AM »
Ours were "Student Led" conferences. It places all the responsibility/ blame on the kids, and they discuss/ justify why they have succeed, or failed. If only NCLB did that....

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: October 29, 2010, 09:40:04 AM »
Interesting idea Rube.  Although I had more students come with their parents to the conferences than I ever had before.  I, too, survived parent/teacher conferences yesterday, and I do mean survive.  I have a horrible cold.  I even turned down a spontaneous trip to SDC today suggested by my husband.  I am drained.

As far as a field trip, I wanted to take my drama/speech kids to see Dickens this year.  We usually attend a "professional" performance each year.  My district has said "no field trips"  this year, so I don't know if I could swing it.  My group fits in the van or mini-bus, and I would drive so we wouldn't need to pay a driver.  It would be a fun outing, though.  I have some seniors that I've worked with for three years or more, so it would be a nice trip for their senior year.  We're only an hour and a half away, so we could just do a day trip.  Plus, this would be much less costly for the students than when we went to see Wicked and Phantom.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: October 29, 2010, 09:43:51 AM »
Very true about costs. I have 16 exceptionally gifted students, we fit in a few cars, don't need a bus, and take local free, or low cost trips in StL (Art Museum, Botanical Gardens, University Tours, Theater Tours). Dickens would also allow the students more than likely to talk with the actors about their path towards the stage, and what aveneus they have ahead of them.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: October 29, 2010, 10:01:33 AM »
swoosh,  sit back, close your eyes, take a deep breath..  think wind in the trees, christmas music, kids in the backgound, smell of outdoor cooking..........  oh yes another day at SDC. ;)

Christmas Music?  Bud, you forget that I am BAND director.  I've had Christmas music since the start of October.  [sarcasm] I just loooooove Christmas music [/sarcasm]
SWOOSH

okiebluegrass

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: October 29, 2010, 11:40:58 AM »
Do they let you play Christmas music anymore?

Around here they even changed the words to "We wish you a Merry Christmas"

sanddunerider

• Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: October 29, 2010, 07:45:06 PM »
ok swoosh! ::)  get all personal and stuff!! :-X   take away the music, slide in the train whitsles and noises in the backgound...  That better? ;D

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: November 05, 2010, 11:35:54 PM »
Just wanted to say that I survived the first night of the school play.  One more to go.  Next weekend--SDC Christmas!