Author Topic: SDCFans Teachers  (Read 100834 times)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: SDCFans Teachers
« Reply #225 on: August 02, 2010, 10:59:45 PM »
We have a "fall break" much like a spring break, but yes...it is in the fall, after qtr 1 is complete. So we go back a week earlier than any other schools, and still get out the same time, if not later since we build in NO snow days. With coaching, camps, clinics etc, My summer seemed WAY too short. But I do like the predictability of a normal schedule once school starts, I will be able to get back to regular sleeping times! Gotta get started with that since , oh yah...I go back Thursday bright and early!

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #226 on: August 05, 2010, 05:07:51 PM »
Today was the first day of MSTA recruitment for new teachers.  They have five days of new teacher orientation, and we are there each day.  I've also been attending paid inservices every day this week and have more next week.  School begins on the 18th, but teachers begin jumping through hoops on the 16th.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: August 05, 2010, 07:46:54 PM »
Today was my first day...uggggghhhhh. Tomorrow is only a 1/2 day contracted though, do I am out at 11:40...2.5 day weekend here I come!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #228 on: August 05, 2010, 07:49:48 PM »
I put in my "1 day on your own before school starts" today and I am so tired.  I am going to have to get back into "teaching shape" here fast otherwise this first full week of school on the 23-27 is going to kill me. lol

Almost all of my supplies/orders are in now so that is exciting.  I'm busy getting new music sorted and stuffed into folders now.  Very excited for the new school year to start.  I cannot say that has been the case in the past, but this year is going to be a "big year" for us with our participation in the Kansas City St. Patty's Day Parade in March and then a lot of fundraisers to get ready for our Bowl Game Parade trip in Winter 2011.
SWOOSH

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #229 on: August 05, 2010, 07:52:38 PM »
Thankfully I did a lot of work during summer school, so this year I can just go around bugging other people while they try to get ready at the last minute.  I love doing that.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: August 05, 2010, 07:53:31 PM »
^It seems that no matter how much I get done during the summer I always find "something" that needs to be done during our "go work your room NOW" times during our inservice stuff before school starts.
SWOOSH

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: August 16, 2010, 04:08:46 PM »
Ugh.  First day of in-service.  We got to learn about PBS today (and no not the tv station either).  So not going to work, but I'll smile and pretend for the committee that is heading it up.

2 more days of in-service and then we get kids on Thursday.
SWOOSH

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: August 16, 2010, 04:58:20 PM »
I tell you what, teachers...we civilians enjoy when school is back in session because it means less traffic on the roads after school hours start! Ha! Thanks for all your hard work and best of luck in the coming school year. God bless!
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: August 16, 2010, 05:34:18 PM »
Summer break? What's that?

Our 7 year old just had his best buddy spend three weeks with us. (He's a friend's grandson, and they live 80 miles away.)

On one of the last few days he was here, Trey asked John David if he was ready to go back to school. My wife overheard, and explained that John David doesn't go to "regular" school, and that he's been in school the whole three weeks. All the reading they did together was school. Trey thought that was pretty cool.  8)

Speaking of reading, it was sad to see this very smart 8 year old trying to read. He had no concept of phonics, so he would look at a word and try to guess what it was. He couldn't read for comprehension at all, because he didn't read sentences -- he just guessed at a series of words.

In three weeks with us, he improved his reading skills many times over. He'll be heading back to school understanding phonics, and he's able to read aloud with some confidence now. We bought several books for him, to start his own library at home. I hope the Louisiana public schools don't set him back too far.

Not to get too sidetracked, but we're a bit spoiled by having a kid who loves to read and learn so much. We actually have to get onto him, because he'll leave a half dozen encyclopedia volumes lying open throughout the house, as he cross-references topics and moves onto new things to learn.  :D

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: August 16, 2010, 05:35:47 PM »
Again we are being harped at about PBS and RTI (Response to Intervention). Funny thing though, a lawsuit was filed, by of all people PBS (the station this time) against the Positive Behavior Support people to cease and desist....so the name should change for all the rest of ya'all as ours has this year.

I have had students since Tuesday last week, so I am almost a week down! woo hoo! I will be glad when Oct rolls around for my week of fall break.

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: August 16, 2010, 10:39:01 PM »
I went in for my first in-service today, and then we had open house tonight.  We had the best turnout for open house I've ever seen.  The kids will begin on Wed.  I'm pretty tired, so I guess I'll go to bed now.  This day wore me out!

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: August 19, 2010, 05:28:50 PM »
Survived my first day back.  (year 5 is not officially in progress) Only 174 days left until summer.  ;D

Everything went very smoothly, only complaint was the fact that AC in my wing of the building decided to quit today (they have people working on it, but they say it might be Monday before it is 100% again) so that made the room very warm, and with a lot of band kids -- well let's just say that it was quite warm in there.

Wow, tomorrow is Friday?  Amazing.  Time for some Friday night football  :)
SWOOSH

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: August 20, 2010, 12:58:41 PM »
We started our countdown as well! Only for 2 days, and then the novelty wore off, and reality set in, that it was gonna be a while! We are on day 10 ish right now so things are in full gear here, another couple weeks, and it is progress reports. We switched to Infinite Campus from Pinnacle (which I liked better then Making the Grade...which was a step up from the red gradebooks all handwritten) ALMOST a new program for each of the 8 yrs in public school teaching! Anyone have Infinite Campus for theie grading system?

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: August 20, 2010, 08:53:32 PM »
I survived the first week of school! 

We have Lumen.  It is a joy...

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile