Author Topic: SDCFans Teachers  (Read 100961 times)

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
Re: SDCFans Teachers
« Reply #195 on: May 20, 2010, 09:41:01 PM »
Ugghhh tough time of year.
Last week it was Six Flags StL for a day, and St Louis Museums for another trip
Wed this was my classroom...An 1880's cabin for for the day...

Today it was a fishing trip with another class
Next week Six Flags again.
Maybe I will throw in finals if time allows!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2010, 12:12:48 AM by rubedugans »

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #196 on: May 20, 2010, 10:57:46 PM »
OMG.  So some of the area schools are done with kids as of today.
They are **** to live with as the teachers (yes the teachers) from those schools are rubbing it in big time on facebook to us other teachers that still have to go until mid-week next week.  'Course with other schools now out, it makes it that much more difficult to keep our kids on task and focused.  I need to give a final next week in music apprec, but have not decided if it is *worth* it or not.
SWOOSH

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 26, 2010, 04:37:45 PM »
Year 4 of my teaching career is officially in the books.
I cannot believe that I have been teaching for 4 years already and that all 4 have been at this school district.  Not complaining, but man, time has really flown by.

In other news, for the 2nd year in a row, I received the "Teacher of the Year" award as voted on by the students.  (we also give out one that is voted on by the teachers).
Go Me. :D
SWOOSH

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 26, 2010, 05:50:55 PM »
Congrats Swoosh. We got have a student voted award because some teachers with small classes end up being outvoted by out PE/ choir, band classes that are traditionally 30+ each hour. 3 more days left for me until year 7 is in the books. Cannot wait!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 26, 2010, 05:57:57 PM »
So the guy in school with the strict behavior attitude for kids he teaches is the teacher of the year! Congratualtions Swoosh! See, those kids won't admit it, but they really do like discipline in the class. they just moan like they don't.
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

Twinsmom98

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 26, 2010, 06:05:30 PM »
So Swoosh does that mean you have tenure now?  I did not know if it was the same in Missouri.  If so Congrats!!

I have both a Illinois and Missouri teaching certificates but never really used them.  In my school district there was too much politics.  Two job openings - three up for the positions - myself, the wife of a lawyer in town and a wife of a businessowner.  You know who was hired for the two jobs.

Today was the last day of school for my girls which is said since they go to Middle School now.

My one daughter had a field trip to a one room classroom, Purdy School at John A Logan College and they experienced the one room classroom, the games they played Annie Annie over and stilts to name a few and writing their names with a ink and feather.  She actually really enjoyed it.

I am just hoping I will survive the layoff this year.  That would put a real cramp in my summer trips.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 26, 2010, 09:19:47 PM »
No, unfortunately I have to wait one more year to be eligible for tenure.  You have to teach 5 years in one district to get your tenture and then teach one more year there after that with the actual tenure... then (after that 6th year) you can go anywhere in the state and teach for just one year before you are eligible for tenure at that district. 

Yep Junior.  The "strict teacher" got "Teacher of the Year" -- it just shows that students want discipline and consistency.  I wish some of the other teachers in our district would get a clue and figure that out instead of trying to be the students' "FRIEND" all the time.

They'e are not YOUR friends, they can be a friend, but you are not friends in that sense.  No one will turn on you quicker than a student that has been "wronged" or has "lost faith" in you because you lied to them or went behind their back on something that was confidential.
SWOOSH

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 27, 2010, 12:12:52 AM »
It sounds like some of your colleagues don't understand the difference between "friendly" and "friends". I see the same thing at my job: successful staff know how to be polite and friendly, without being familiar. Those who lose control seem to have a binary switch, with nothing in between "standoffish" and "overly personal".

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 27, 2010, 12:49:34 PM »
I just want to say...

Woo Hoo! 

I'm packed up, everything's graded, and I am home today!  Yippee!

Of course, I'm teaching credit recovery this summer from June 1-24.  Then after that, the month of July is ALL MINE!

I hope to squeeze a weekend Branson trip in this month.  Yakov was on our local talk radio station, and he offered tickets for $10 for the Moscow Circus for Joplin residents.  That price includes dinner.  I have no idea how good the show would be or how the food is, but it's worth a shot for $10 a person, I think.  The offer is only good in June, so I think a day at SDC and an evening at Yakov would be fun.

We're going to Colorado Springs the first week in July.  We were going next week, but our district suddenly decided we would have summer school, so we moved that trip. 

Anyway, I'm glad that summer is finally here!

Coaster

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
  • Resident Twenty-Something Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 27, 2010, 03:01:51 PM »
Summer is finally here!!!!!! FINALLY!!!! I am now officially a senior and I feel like my junior year just started. High school has gone by so fast... But I've still got one year left.

Have a great summer all you SDCFans teachers!
"May there always be a Silver Dollar City..."

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #205 on: May 28, 2010, 11:31:20 PM »
I always tell my students they will be my friends after they complete their year with me.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 31, 2010, 12:15:08 AM »
Come on Tuesday...ONE MORE DAY with students...then comes the hard part, tearing down my room for summer cleaning....but man will it feel good thursday when I get to sleep in- even if I end up waking up at the exact same time as usual!

Junior

• Master Craftsman
  • SDC "citizen" from 1978-1984.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 31, 2010, 04:01:12 PM »
Congratulations to all you teachers that survived another year. Happy summer.  ;)
"Howdy there folks! My name is Junior Dugan, and I'll be drivin' your diving bell!"

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 24, 2010, 06:49:35 PM »
I just want to say--

I finished my last day of teaching summer school today!!

We'll be in Branson by Saturday...

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #209 on: June 24, 2010, 10:52:42 PM »
Our summer school was split into two two-week session this year, and I'm teaching the second one, which begins in the middle of July.  I hate summer school and have only taught it once in 20 years, but with no raises this year, etc., I figure I should earn all I can while I can.  I still hate summer school.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating