Author Topic: False memories or real?  (Read 11682 times)

RollaJedi

• May the Force be with Ya'll!
    • View Profile
    • Coreplanets: Missouri and Kansas SW Fan Site
False memories or real?
« on: July 29, 2009, 02:54:55 PM »
I was wondering about few things that i've always had memories about SDC of but not real sure if they were real since it would have to have taken place back when i was just a toddler (late 70s, very very early 80s). 
One, which probably isnt true but i was hoping someone could shed light if it was, was i remember either it being on the float trip ride or the flooded mine seeing a plastic piggy bank that looked like the incredible hulk in there.  i know, it sounds weird. 

The other, is i'm pretty sure true, but i remember my parents and i standing by a place right after you cross the bridge that has the sounds of clomping horses.  I remember a small crowd of people watching some guy that was standing there, i think inside a glass box,  acting like he wasnt real, then all of a sudden he came to life and scared the crap out of everyone.

things i'll always remember though that i still love are going through the small door in the side of the toy store (which is now the christmas store), my grandparents letting me buy one of the really, really long wooden rifles, and a couple of books i used to have from there.  one was a book about a wooden toy puppet that was carved at sdc that comes alive.  the other was the very old coloring books that used to feature all kinds of different things from around SDC, like a pic of the guy holding his hat, swirling in the whirlpool.  Man, i wish i still had those.  A few years ago, we went there and inside the large caroseul building they were having a kids lego and activities thing going on.  they had a few pages of the coloring books but were just xeroxes. 
Great stuff  :)
Huge Star Wars fan.  Owner of the official Missouri and Kansas Star Wars fan community, Coreplanets.

http://www.coreplanets.com

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: False memories or real?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2009, 09:28:31 PM »
Jedi-  a lot of what you described was the old "Jim Owen's float trip" which is where the American Plunge now stands.  The large wooden bridge had the sounds of horses crossing it back then as well.  It still does today, but it is turned down so low, you really can't pick up on it.  At one end of the bridge, there was a "ticket booth" where a person used to sit, but today they have a dummy stationed inside.

Yep, back in the day, they certainly played the "baldknobber" image to the hilt.  That was the riders you heard crossing the bridge.  About the only mention of them today is on Fire in the Hole.  I did notice Monday that they turned the sound up on the monologue outside the ride.  (Even as a kid in the early 70's I would sit under the trees and listen...and I still do today!)  Certainly the GOOD OLD DAYS.

Over the weekend, the group I was with began discussing how they think Branson hit it's peak in the mid 90's.  As we drove around the area, we notice all the empty buildings and theaters that are for sell.  Pretty sad looking in some places.

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2009, 09:38:59 PM »
Growing up during the same period I can relate to some of the experiences you mentioned. The rifles were always a part of the gun shop/former toy store on ALL of my visits, as were the animatronics on the Float trip/ American Plunge depending upon your exact years of visiting. I still have 2 pristine uncolored coloring books, and well one that is totally massacred by some girl with a black crayon (hmm wonder who that could be STLPHOTO???) OKay she was older it probably was me that scribbled...but I digress. As far as a cart, I remember the rainmaker, possibly a medicine man...I am hazy about a man in a box OTHER THAN a man stationed in the actual bridge toll booth. I do remember a hulkish man pulling apart bars in the flooded mine, he was big and pulling bars apart in a hulk like fashion I mean...but no green monster a-la Lou Ferrigno comes to my memory.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2009, 09:40:22 PM by rubedugans »

RollaJedi

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 08:27:35 AM »
oh, i know about the guy in the little ticket booth.  The guy i'm talking about appeared on the other end of the bridge, right next to the first building on the right.  I believe it was probably one of the little street performances that used to happen so often back then.  He might not have been in a box.  like i said, it was a very long time ago.  (30 years or so). 

Thats cool you still have those coloring books.  i tried to find images online of that or the book about the little woodcarved puppet but cant find anything at all.
Huge Star Wars fan.  Owner of the official Missouri and Kansas Star Wars fan community, Coreplanets.

stlphotogal

• Ozark Hillbilly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 11:06:25 AM »
Growing up during the same period I can relate to some of the experiences you mentioned. The rifles were always a part of the gun shop/former toy store on ALL of my visits, as were the animatronics on the Float trip/ American Plunge depending upon your exact years of visiting. I still have 2 pristine uncolored coloring books, and well one that is totally massacred by some girl with a black crayon (hmm wonder who that could be STLPHOTO???) OKay she was older it probably was me that scribbled...but I digress. As far as a cart, I remember the rainmaker, possibly a medicine man...I am hazy about a man in a box OTHER THAN a man stationed in the actual bridge toll booth. I do remember a hulkish man pulling apart bars in the flooded mine, he was big and pulling bars apart in a hulk like fashion I mean...but no green monster a-la Lou Ferrigno comes to my memory.

Nah, it was probably me Rube, I had a mean streak as a child...LOL. I do remember the animatronics on the Plunge and the horse noises still play as you cross the main bridge coming from main street (after passing the candy store) and there IS a ticket booth there but I don't ever recall anyone being in it. The big bald guy pulled the bars apart in the Flooded Mine but he wasn't green.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 02:22:09 PM »
Hmmm... Book about a woodcarved puppet. Are you perhaps referring to this? (click on it to see full size)

I've seen it several times on Ebay (that's where I got my copy). It's much easier to find than "The Littlest Mule"; that's the only one of the 70s kids books I don't have.

Joy

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2009, 02:43:12 PM »
Just ask Tinaalsgirl!

http://www.amazon.com/Silver-Dollar-City-Story-Littlest/dp/B002BM71GQ/ref=sr_1_19?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1248982364&sr=1-19

Don't forget " Silver Dollar City's abc words & rhymes"
 There are some great illustrations in this one

or "Zeke Hatfield and a ghost named Rocky"
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 02:46:12 PM by rubedugans »

RollaJedi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 02:47:26 PM »
yep!  thats the book i was talkin about.  you dont happen to have pics from the coloring books do you?

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 05:17:00 PM »
Something...oh say...roughly...like this?

This is great! My favorite page!!!! Ask for something, and I usually have it!!!! It should be a new game...DOES RUBE HAVE IT!!!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 05:22:12 PM by rubedugans »

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 06:30:00 PM »
Yep, back in the day, they certainly played the "baldknobber" image to the hilt.  That was the riders you heard crossing the bridge.  About the only mention of them today is on Fire in the Hole.

Not exactly true if you count subtleties.  After reading the Bald Knobbers book, I realized Phoebe Snapp's Taffy is one of these.  I believe Phoebe's dad was killed by the vigilante group (a real reference to a real event).  Other clues abound in the City, but I can't remember them.  It makes for a good study if somebody has the time.

I'd love it if they would take on Bald Knobber days around Halloween.  As much as they probably don't want to "haunt the park" during that time, there's nothing wrong with scaring people, and it would allow extended hours to attract a crowd for some fun stuff.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 06:32:02 PM by History Buff »
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2009, 06:37:50 PM »
I was such a geek that I kept all my books (littlest mule, ABC's and Zeke & the Ghost, Wooden puppet) as well as the coloring book.  I was the kid who never took his toys outside to play with for fear of getting them dirty.  At least now I can look at all my SDC souvenirs and enjoy them.

It is interesting to think about a guy in a glass box to the right end of the bridge (going toward Thunderation) as the heat from the Glassblowers would be pretty extreme.  I do know that there is a gate there at that exact spot that we used to use to access the Corn Syrup vat to measure how much was in there.   Before Thunderation, it would have been a good access point for any SDC citizen to enter on stage by and possibly scare some young'uns

I miss the Jim Owens Float Trip almost as much (if not more) than Rube Dugan's Diving Bell.  I remember a lot of crazy stuff from that ride (going the opposite direction that you do now, the ghost of the husband, the twinkle lights, dwarves, etc...), but no green piggy bank unless it was in the dwarves scene.
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 06:45:45 PM »
Dwarves?  Really?

I wonder if that's something I thought I remembered as being at SF/Texas?  I think I have some false memories that are getting mixed up with other false memories.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

betamike

• Conductor
    • View Profile
    • Silver Dollar City Photo Group on Flickr
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009, 06:54:10 PM »
Yeah, it was a bit like a Snow White and the seven dwarves set up.....relevant to the thread for sure but I am pretty sure I remember elves, dwarves or something of the kind.

A bit of a history lesson from Old Guy

http://sdcfans.com/forums/index.php?topic=42.msg1630#msg1630
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 07:02:18 PM by betamike »
You've Got A Great Past Just Ahead Of You!

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009, 10:12:18 PM »
How is it that every time "The Littlest Mule" pops up for sale, it's when I'm broke? LOL Thanks for the link!

I really, really think they should bring Rube Dugan's Diving Bell back in some fashion. Even if for now they just bring the character(s) to the Geyser Gulch/Splash Harbor area...

And they really, really need to put some theming back into American Plunge.

Joy

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2009, 12:14:38 AM »
Dwarves?  Really?

I wonder if that's something I thought I remembered as being at SF/Texas?  I think I have some false memories that are getting mixed up with other false memories.

Yeah, the gnomes, dwarves or whatever they were supposed to be were real.  They use to yodel and work in the cave.  I can still hear the tune in my head, just don't ask me to imitate it.   ;D

I remember sneaking a peak behind the waterfall years ago and seeing several of the little Gnomes laying all over the place dismembered (the horror).  Some were sitting up on the structure that holds up the false rock of the waterfall.  It made for a bizarre little scene.