Author Topic: make the city a City again  (Read 11884 times)

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
make the city a City again
« on: July 18, 2009, 08:48:49 PM »
When SDC was young, it was run like a city, with Shad having to run for Mayor in a election campaine and the workers acually playing the role of being a citizen. What would it take to return to that kind of atmosphere. I know some of the workers do play the part some of the time ,but what a change it would make if all the employees felt like they were real citizens.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

shavethewhales

• Administrator
  • Master Craftsman
    • View Profile
    • SDCFans.com
Re: make the city a City again
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 09:09:38 PM »
Didn't they use to give almost every park worker their own backstory?

It would be nice to see them push  the old atmosphere again. I did notice today how much more the park felt like a regular theme park than the unique novelty it used to be.
The sad thing is, hardly any of the other guests care, so there's absolutely no incentive for them to go back to some of the old ways. I mean, when you have other parks selling ad space on their rollercoaster cars, the varying effort SDC still puts in to their atmosphere still blows them away. I think that if they tried though, a lot of people would notice and appreciate it. There's just a lot more profit in keeping things simple.

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 05:55:16 PM »
The staff does not seem to get into the show as much as they used to.  90% of them are still nice but..............it is not the Silver Dollar City Mary ran.

How many trees were cut down to build the two big rollar coasters?

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
  • My mind is always at a theme park
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 08:31:16 PM »
give me a great roller coaster over a few trees any day ;D

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 10:26:16 PM »
When SDC was young, it was run like a city, with Shad having to run for Mayor in a election campaine and the workers acually playing the role of being a citizen. What would it take to return to that kind of atmosphere. I know some of the workers do play the part some of the time ,but what a change it would make if all the employees felt like they were real citizens.

Yes.  And it wouldn't be hard to do it.  Plus it would make for a more genial atmosphere with more teamwork among employees.  As much as they might like to "keep it simple", this really would keep employees from shunning guests and making them vow to never return.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 10:44:14 PM »
My hope is that once I finish college in May 2011, I can go straight into a full-time job at SDC. Doing what, I have no idea; don't know if you have to start out in a certain place or not... I'd kinda like to be a ticket-taker or an umbrella artist.

Either way, if I can get hired onto SDC, be assured there will be a new Citizen with a full backstory who will be VERY into keeping the "magic" alive.

Of course, in my ideal world, I'd like to learn Interactive Acting and play Becky Thatcher in the Landing area, but who knows if that'll ever happen...

Joy

sdcforever

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 08:13:39 AM »
How many trees were cut down to build the two big rollar coasters?

They plant two trees for every tree they cut down for construction, so that's a moot point.

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 09:05:41 AM »
Mary never let them ever cut down a tree.  That is the point. 

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 01:02:16 PM »
I thought she never let them cut a tree that wasn't absolutely necessary to cut for whatever development they were doing?

And just look at the Grand Exposition; it used to be a parking lot, but now they've got some nice trees and other plants growing there.

Joy

sdcforever

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 01:06:37 PM »
^^I don't think SDC has ever cut down a tree that wasn't necessary for development.  They're always good about incorporating greenery into the park.  And they plant two trees for every tree they cut down; they plant them on the grounds of the park.

As for "Mary never let them cut down a tree".  How do you think they built the park?  If you believe that SDC just wantonly chops down trees for no reason whatsoever, I'm not sure what gives you that impression. ???

Hatfield McCoy

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 04:22:41 PM »
My hope is that once I finish college in May 2011, I can go straight into a full-time job at SDC. Doing what, I have no idea; don't know if you have to start out in a certain place or not... I'd kinda like to be a ticket-taker or an umbrella artist.

Either way, if I can get hired onto SDC, be assured there will be a new Citizen with a full backstory who will be VERY into keeping the "magic" alive.

Of course, in my ideal world, I'd like to learn Interactive Acting and play Becky Thatcher in the Landing area, but who knows if that'll ever happen...

Joy

If I were in charge of human resources at Silver Dollar City, you would definitely be on my short list for people to hire as soon as possible. Finding someone that really loves their occupation and who really wants to be there is golden. Good luck, and I am sure you will be working there as soon as you are ready.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 05:02:19 PM »
I've always envied the ticket-takers at SDC, because they're the Citizens people meet first when going into the park. They're the Citizens who get to smile at the guests and assure them they have a "great past ahead of them." Outside of the parking lot attendants and ticket booth cashiers, the ticket-takers are the guests' first real introduction into the theme and enjoyment of the park.

It may seem like a simple job, but to me, it seems like one of the most important of all.

Joy

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 01:52:12 PM »
Quote from Crystal Payton and her book.

"As the park was built, Mary Herschend's firm hand could be seen in all aspects of its development.  Her fixation on protecting the City's trees has grown to the stuff of legend.  Stories abound of Mary firing people over harming trees."
"Building were built around trees, paths wound through them."

"Mary objected to the site of the Wilderness Church.  She did not want the giant sycamore to be cut down.  A compromise was reached, the tree became the pulpit that is still used today in the church.

In the early days Mary would not let citizens of the town carry ink pens, they were not around in 1880's.  Men who smoked were not allowed to use filtered cig. they were not around in 1880's.

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 07:58:05 PM »
When the coasters or other park facilities were planned, the developer was always reminded of the "career trees" there were dealing with.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 07:12:00 AM »
If the trees went so did their "Careers" ?