Author Topic: make the city a City again  (Read 11877 times)

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
Re: make the city a City again
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2009, 09:19:24 AM »
The problem with the GE is that it is not themed like the rest of the park.  When you walk over there you feel like you have entered Six Flags.  It looks nice, it is clean, but the rides and the story line do not fit SDS.  It goes back to the Victorian Theme they tried several years ago.  You can get the GE at any park in the United States.  You can only get SDC in SDC.  That is what makes the park so special.  I truely believe that they have lost some of that.  Do not get me wrong the park is clean, everything looks good, but........it is starting to change.  The GE, the parking lots and shuttles, the way the put up the two steel rollercoasters.  The park is still a great place to bring the family, and everyone has a great time but.......They might need to remember they have a great past ahead of them.

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
  • My mind is always at a theme park
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2009, 10:23:07 AM »
Without those steel coasters and increasing their number of rides they will have no past to share- you must remain competitive with the local markets. Like it or not an equal number of guests go just for rides as an equal number appreciate the shows, crafts, and setting.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2009, 12:23:24 PM »
I think they need some characters in GE to "sell" it to the guests. The theme is a traveling exposition, but where are the carnies that come with it? We need some characters to liven up the place; stand around and do call-outs like, "Come see the amazing Electro-Spin! It will ELECTRIFY you!" Stuff like that.

And have characters/Citizens in the park talking to guests about. "Say, have you heard about that Exposition with all those new-fangled dee-vices they're displaying?"

We need some continuity, people!

Joy

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #33 on: July 27, 2009, 12:04:05 AM »
I feel this way about the Grand Exposition.  It just doesn't seem to be SDC to me...

GE is an odd one: it's period-appropriate, but has never really fit with the theme.

I know what you both mean, but I think it actually fits the period, but doesn't fit the area.  It's too modern.  However, I have accepted it as what it is - an exposition of the most modern scientific discoveries of the era.  I do wish those copycat flying elephants and teacups could have been more original.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

DeweyBald

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2009, 12:40:19 AM »
One thing I noticed this past weekend was that the GE seems to be about 10 degrees hotter than the rest of the park as well.  Probably because there are only a few SHADE TREES.  I'm not much of a fan of the GE, but my 6 year old LOVES the "Hopping Frogs".

I'll also put my 2 cents in on "genuine citizens".  I was VERY disappointed in the train this year.  I only rode it once, but the robbery was terrible.  The conductor and "Alfie" seemed to get off track then they started messing with each other.  (Alfie tried several times to knock the conductors hat off with the stick)  This is TOTALLY out of character.  Another example (and the one that made me angry) was when the conductor says the line about giving him another belly button....well, he didn't even say it.  He just blurted out some mumbling and ran off because they were more interested in trying to make the other character laugh.  If Mary had been on that train, she probably would have jumped off and fired them on the spot!  They really did blow the entire gig that bad.  And, like you good people said, they are getting too far away from "SDC" and simply becoming an amusement park.  While I agree that they are lightyears ahead of places like 6 flags and WOF, I hate to see them slip and fall backwards only to end up like another amusement park "with trees".