Author Topic: Celebration of Independence?  (Read 5349 times)

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
Celebration of Independence?
« on: July 04, 2009, 10:52:34 PM »
SDC and Dollywood celebrate the international community every spring, but are there any efforts to celebrate the USA during the Independence Day season?  I think I saw some fireworks over Lake Silver when I was a kid (1970s), but why wouldn't they market some kind of a Freedom Festival as a part of Kids Fest?  Would they be able to compete with other celebrations in the area, or have they decided it takes too much capitol?  Could there be a special parade or shows to commemorate our nation?
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
Re: Celebration of Independence?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009, 04:13:11 AM »
SDC and Dollywood celebrate the international community every spring, but are there any efforts to celebrate the USA during the Independence Day season?  I think I saw some fireworks over Lake Silver when I was a kid (1970s), but why wouldn't they market some kind of a Freedom Festival as a part of Kids Fest?  Would they be able to compete with other celebrations in the area, or have they decided it takes too much capitol?  Could there be a special parade or shows to commemorate our nation?

Interesting question. I don't think I've ever been near the City around Independence Day; we always went earlier, around May-June.

I celebrated today by grilling some AwesomeBurgers (big fat hand-formed patties, portobello mushrooms, and two kinds of cheese on toasted Kaiser buns), then going to the ball park to webcast the play-by-play for our local minor league team, then came home and launched a bunch of artillery shells from my driveway (celebrating that I live where fireworks are still legal).

Then I retreated to the A/C, and joined my favorite revolutionary, Sam Adams, in a toast to liberty as we still know it.

Not that there's much left of what the founders set in motion 233 years ago...

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009, 08:35:59 AM »
The Parks close before dark.

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009, 08:42:59 AM »
Well, I remember it was either my first or second visit to SDC that we went the day after Indep Day and found out we had missed the hot air balloons in Marvel Cave.

For me last night, I actually stayed outside for the first time ever while people did fireworks in the street. Independence changed their laws this year to allow the shooting of fireworks in-city. I held a sparkler for what I think was the first time ever.

I imagine SDC probably doesn't do fireworks for July 4th 'cause of all the trees. A bit too much fuel for fire out there. LOL

Joy

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009, 09:32:38 AM »
I have been in on the 4th of July before, and expected to see much more of a celebration for this day. There were more flags, and the flag raising was poignant, as always; but the old place was still missing something...other than people! It was one of the MOST crowded times outside of Christmas that I can remember.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2009, 04:54:10 PM »
We went last year on the 4th and the park was sooooo dead.

Fireworks around the area include the Landing on the 3rd (which are shot off across the lake up on the bluff).  la Chateau on the Lake always has a good display as well, though they seem to shoot off fireworks all the time anymore -- if there is a holiday near by, there are fireworks. lol
SWOOSH

StaceySue

• Cave Guide
  • Avid Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2009, 06:18:19 PM »
I've only been once on the actual day of July 4.  It wasn't crowded at all that day.  Of course, that had to be in the late 1980s when we went.  Perhaps 1986?  I'm trying to guess based on my sister's age.  There were no fireworks, but it seems like there was a closing ceremony with a cannon fired.  But maybe that was an earlier trip.  Our trips didn't become more regular until the 1990s.

We stayed pretty close to home this year and did our own fireworks in Joplin since we are expecting a new SDC fan in September. :)  We considered going to the city display, but it looked like rain was coming.  We had a couple over from KC, and we didn't want to risk having the fireworks we purchased get "rained out."  We did have a downpour in the middle of our little display, but it lasted less than five minutes.  But it rained hard!

History Buff

• School Master, Circuit Rider, and Novelist
  • Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • We're History!
    • View Profile
    • CHECK OUT MY AUTHOR SITE!
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 08:24:52 PM »
It would take a bit to establish a tradition, but I could definitely see a guest "Branson Pops" Sousa band in GE, an all-American cookout in the barn, apple pie baking lessons in the culinary school, a song-salute to the USA in Echo Hollow (maybe a guest performer), flags and red, white, and blue banners everywhere, a return of the Civil War show in the Opera House, and a choreographed fireworks/laser show at Lake Silver.  I could come up with more, but that much already costs too much for a first-year mini-festival.  I would much rather attend something like this than KidsFest and I believe kids would too if done well.
Always SEEKING Memories Worth Repeating

Joy

• Global Moderator
  • Craftsman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2009, 09:28:20 PM »
Those are some awesome ideas! I like 'em.

I have a VHS of the "American Spirit" show that they did at the Opera House. It was a good lighthearted show celebrating Independence Day. Don't remember what year it was, though. The VHS is what we bought there at the show; can't recall if it has a year on it.

Joy

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2009, 10:58:43 PM »
...Perhaps 1986?  I'm trying to guess based on my sister's age.  There were no fireworks, but it seems like there was a closing ceremony with a cannon fired.

Until you jogged my memory, I forgot that there used to be a closing ceremony every day with the cannon being fired. I don't recall exactly how they did it, and this was years before I first saw a military Retreat Ceremony.

SteamFreak

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2009, 03:47:18 PM »
You guys...how could you miss the park's celebration??? The Frisco now has little flags on the cylinder heads...what more do youu want??? geeze

oldsdcer

• Cave Guide
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2009, 08:43:03 PM »
I remember back when I was a kid in the late 60's or the 70's When there was a closing program in the square with the nationaL anthem, flag lowering, and cannon firing at the closing of the park.
SDC has always made a great past to remember

rubedugans

• Global Moderator
  • Master Craftsman
  • Resident Archivist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2009, 09:45:02 PM »
I remember taking part in the evening march/parade in the early 80's, and having a collective kazoo of "taps" I think. It was a blast and obviously held a larger impression than any carousel or ferris wheel .
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 09:46:10 PM by rubedugans »

Firstvisit1967

• McCoy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2009, 05:52:30 PM »
They used to do the closing and then tell everyone they could go to Echo Hollow.
I really miss the Blue and Gray show on Main St.  I still have my Gray soldier cap and American flag.

Opening used to be more fun.  They used to drag people out for dancing and then raise the flag.  They still raise the flag but the opening song was not near as fun as it has been in the past.

Riverman

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2009, 10:26:03 PM »
Do they still do an opening parade/ceremony in the mornings?  I remember bringing the miniature horses up for them when I worked there in the late 90's.