Author Topic: Baseball- GO Cardinals!  (Read 88616 times)

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
Re: Baseball- GO Cardinals!
« Reply #285 on: August 10, 2009, 10:33:44 PM »
...and you lost another pitcher.  This time one of the two you picked up from Pitt.

Quite the lesson in batting practice the Rockies gave the Cubs tonight.  Ouch.
SWOOSH

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
  • My mind is always at a theme park
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: August 11, 2009, 10:36:36 PM »
a loss-loss night, no ones happy :'(

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: August 11, 2009, 11:55:24 PM »
Cards were coming back but then Holliday struck out looking there in the 9th.
Oh well, you win some you lose some.

I guess the Cubs couldn't come back in extra innings?  Phillies are tough no matter where you play them
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 11:56:05 PM by Swoosh »
SWOOSH

sdcforever

« Reply #288 on: August 12, 2009, 12:33:24 PM »
^The Phillies are tough, but especially on the road.  They're only .500 at home, strangely enough.

I think Boggs pitched well enough to be given another look.  We're looking for RH relief help for the bullpen, and I hope we find some.  I'm not surprised at our futility against Lehr last night; we don't do well against unfamiliar pitchers (unfamiliar=little to no video available beforehand).  Carp vs. Bailey tonight.  Not sure what to expect.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: August 12, 2009, 10:13:43 PM »
Let's stretch that lead to 4 games, what say you?

CARDS win tonight and CUBS once again get a batting lesson.
Talk about some lopsided losses here lately by the Baby Bears

SWOOSH

sdcforever

« Reply #290 on: August 13, 2009, 07:44:38 AM »
Yeah, it was an ugly loss for the Cubs.  But it was even uglier than necessary with that fan throwing beer on Victorino in the OF as he's trying to make a catch (which he still made).  That was stupid, and dangerous, because the beer could've blinded him and the ball might've hit him in the face or on top of the head.  I know not all Cubs fans are like that (and most are upset with the guy who did it), but it makes all of them look bad nonetheless.  BTW, that wasn't you, themeparkguy, was it? ;)

An off day today for the Cards, then the Padres come to town.

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: August 13, 2009, 11:14:57 AM »
Yeah, it was an ugly loss for the Cubs.  But it was even uglier than necessary with that fan throwing beer on Victorino in the OF as he's trying to make a catch (which he still made).  That was stupid, and dangerous, because the beer could've blinded him and the ball might've hit him in the face or on top of the head.  I know not all Cubs fans are like that (and most are upset with the guy who did it), but it makes all of them look bad nonetheless.  BTW, that wasn't you, themeparkguy, was it? ;)

Plus, the guy who did it wasn't even the one that got the blame for it.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: August 13, 2009, 07:46:52 PM »
Um, Themeparkguy.  Not trying to rub it in or anything, but the Cubs are now 4.5 games back after today's loss.  This is the 5th game in a row the Cubs have lost and the last 10 games the Cubs are 3-7.  In fact it has almost been a week since the Cubs have won a game -- and if you overlook last Saturday's win, you have to go all the way back to 4th to see another win. 
SWOOSH

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: August 13, 2009, 08:24:59 PM »
I have nothing to report- at least we are done with the Phil's for the rest of the regular season.

U Smell Smoke

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: August 13, 2009, 08:52:59 PM »
Are you planning on the Cubs meeting the Phillies in the playoffs?

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: August 13, 2009, 09:27:26 PM »
I have said all along in this forum that I expect the Phil's and Dodgers in the playoffs- beyound that I don't know who the other two teams will be.

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: August 14, 2009, 06:31:10 PM »
Well, the Cubs certainly gave some back today... a 17-2 win in that batting practice against the Pirates.

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: August 14, 2009, 10:49:59 PM »
Hey a win/win day have not said that in a while. There is a silver linning on the horizon also-

The game began a stretch in which the Cubs will play 28 of 33 games against teams with losing records. They are 40-22 against such clubs, espn online.

sdcforever

« Reply #298 on: August 15, 2009, 12:55:01 PM »
Hey a win/win day have not said that in a while. There is a silver linning on the horizon also-

The game began a stretch in which the Cubs will play 28 of 33 games against teams with losing records. They are 40-22 against such clubs, espn online.

That does not bode well if you do make the playoffs.  That means you are 19-33 against teams with winning records. :o

sdcforever

« Reply #299 on: August 16, 2009, 10:21:18 AM »
The Cards play at the Dodgers for three Aug. 17-19, then the Cubs play at the Dodgers for four Aug. 19-22.  This week should be a good gauge as to where both of us are at this point in the season.