Author Topic: Baseball- GO Cardinals!  (Read 88588 times)

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
  • My mind is always at a theme park
    • View Profile
Re: Baseball- GO Cardinals!
« Reply #210 on: July 26, 2009, 06:52:16 PM »
The truth - I only speak the truth :)

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 26, 2009, 07:03:15 PM »
And after today, we're 1/2 game back.  I fully expected Welly to loose.  We've got three dependable pitchers in Carpy, Waino, and Peniero, with Lohse being iffy, and Welly pretty much a lost cause.  Would be nice to pick up another pitcher, no one in the minors that's ready to be a force.  But, I'm not sure we have the pieces to offer in trade for a good pitcher anymore after the last couple of moves that we've made.  Certainly out of the running for Halladay, altho that would be nice.  This trip to LA scares me, even tho we have our top 3 going.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 07:22:26 PM by Zephon »
"Why do they call them Wild Women?"

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
    • THE Midwest Info Guide (MiG)
« Reply #212 on: July 26, 2009, 08:01:13 PM »
I still say put Brad Thompson in the starter's role.  He's proved himself numerous times
SWOOSH

saladdays

• Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 27, 2009, 01:41:50 PM »
I'd rather call Mitchell Boggs back up as the fifth starter.

sdcforever

« Reply #214 on: July 27, 2009, 01:59:14 PM »
^I'd take either Boggs, Hawksworth, or Thompson.  Heck, anyone's better than Wellemeyer.  He's the worst starter in the majors.  Look at his stats.  He has the highest ERA (5.79) and is allowing an MLB-worst rate of 15.99 base runners per 9 innings. The hitters’ OPS against Wellemeyer is .898, worst in the majors. It’s akin to Adrian Gonzalez (.900 OPS) taking every at-bat in a game against Wellemeyer. It’s even worse when he faces LH hitters, who have a line of .348 / .424 / .617 against him — which is akin to Joe Mauer taking every AB against Wellemeyer.  Yikes!

I think we also need a stable right-hander to serve as an eighth inning setup man.  If you look at the stats, Motte and McClellan aren't cutting it.  I expect these needs to be addressed internally, but wouldn't be surprised if a trade was made before the week is up.

We've dealt 4 of our top 6 prospects to get DeRosa and Holliday.  If we don't sign them after this year we will have sacrificed those prospects for two-month rentals.  That cannot happen.  It would be even worse if we didn't make the playoffs and DeRosa and Holliday walked at the end of the year. :o   

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 27, 2009, 08:34:06 PM »
This is craziness tonight. We got swept at Houston, lost a series in Philly, but now we're beating the Dodgers?

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 27, 2009, 08:56:19 PM »
^^I hear what you're saying about Welly.  I think Thompson needs more work in the BP, he's been lit up quite a bit in the last month or so.  I think Boggs and Hawksworth might be worth another look, but they haven't been exactly tearing it up down at Memphis.  More wins than losses for both, but very mediocre ERA's, not what you want to see at that level in someone who's supposedly ready to be brought up.

I think we're going to have to hope Lohse gets back to form, and endure a loss from the #5 starter, or pick someone up from outside the organization.

^Remember, one of those Houston losses was a blown save, something that thankfully hasn't happened much this year.  I'm just glad we have our top guys lined up against LA.  With this lineup, I believe we can compete with anyone. 

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 27, 2009, 10:35:32 PM »
yeah Good Guys win again!!!  ;D
SWOOSH

KBCraig

• Post Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 27, 2009, 11:00:14 PM »
Good win tonight. Soriano got a walkoff slam in the 13th to give the Cubs a 5-1 win over the Astros, so we stay 0.5 game behind. Go, 'Stros!

How about Willingham getting two slams in one game off the Brewers? And one was off of Suppan.  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 11:01:13 PM by KBCraig »

Zephon

• Conductor
  • RedBirdFever
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 28, 2009, 07:17:42 PM »
Yah, that was pretty cool.  Still doesn't beat the feat of Fernando Tatis some years ago, hitting two Grannies in the same inning off of the same pitcher.  I doubt that will ever be done again.

GO Cardinals!  Wainwright against Billingsley.  Could be a low scoring affair.  Hope our hitters fair just a little better than theirs.  Rain delaying the start at the moment.

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 28, 2009, 10:41:32 PM »
Houston did their part and beat the 'baby bears' -- come on CARDS!

Well now that's more like it -- 6 runs in one inning for the CARDS!!!  ;D
SWOOSH

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 29, 2009, 12:22:40 AM »
CARDS WIN!
CUBS LOSE!

All is right with the world again as the Cardinals take over the lead in NLC again. :D
SWOOSH

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 29, 2009, 11:38:38 AM »
FYI: Wellemeyer has been taken out of the rotation. *happy dance*
The 5th starter on this rotation is Boggs.  He will pitch Friday in the final game against LA
SWOOSH

themeparkguy

• Jr. Citizen
  • My mind is always at a theme park
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 29, 2009, 04:39:21 PM »
A 12-0 win today. Lets see what happens in the City of Angels tonight. Care to make a wager swoosie? ;D

Swoosh

• Master Craftsman
  • Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 29, 2009, 07:06:52 PM »
Why would I care what the Angels are doing in LA tonight.
Yeah, D.A. the game is in St. Louis  ::)
SWOOSH